SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Landscaping and Long-Distance Landlording (AZ)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Landscaping and Long-Distance Landlording (AZ) Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
So we did a 1031 exchange for our former residence and more recently rental home in Northern California; bought TWO houses in Phoenix East Valley area, Chandler and Gilbert.
Things were going OK, we thought, with the Mexican landscaping guy we hired for the houses.
But I am not hearing from him regularly, and now the tenants report lawn is dying on one property, the new Pygmy date palms dying on the other.
Oy veh!!
Trying to find a reliable landscaper/gardener by long distance is a pain in the butt!!
We put $1500 into having the Pygmy date palms planted, may be a total loss.
And we can’t get the sprinklers working right, even hiring the “Sprinkler Doctors”.
I’m way too busy to head over from San Diego to Phoenix, and even if I find somebody how do I know I can trust him?

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mark123 might like a nice expense-paid vacation in Arizona. Wink

You think you have problems long distance? It's even more frustrating when they're local. The exterior of our house is a total mess, and the front yard is a disaster. Can not get a schedule commitment from the contractor for completing the job that was started. Yeah, "Oy!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW and I would be HAPPY to be your full time property managers in AZ.

We can move out there, form a quick LLC to operate under, and take over ASAP.

Of course, we'd have to cover our income so we can quit our jobs here in the People's Republic of Maryland. Might put our contract price a little high for what you were thinking. On the other hand, you're a cardiologist. All of the cardiologists I know drive much nicer cars than I do. Wink

Let me know.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never have understood why people suffer with Long Distance LandLording. Get rid of the headache.....sell it. It is not worth the hassle with time and distance.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try calling a few realtors in that area for recommendations. The first thing a realtor wants when listing a house, is a good looking lawn. I agree, the long distance landlord thing would suck. Another option is to have a management company manage it, but they're going to take 10% or so.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another option is to have a management company manage it, but they're going to take 10% or so.

Bingo. the charge is just a cost of business you chose to be in.

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another option is to have a management company manage it, but they're going to take 10% or so.

Long Distance, this, the cost per hour of your time is well worth the fees to not have to deal with it personally.

Check with top realtors to find out who to use if it's like most landscape companies here, most independent are difficult to keep scheduled, there is always something that keeps them from getting to the job.

Find a professional company that does this properly.

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think about how you would find a good doctor in the Phoenix area. Do the same with landscaping. Realtors are a start. If you know the neighbors they may have some ideas. I would like to live next door to nice landscaping. Good luck

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to live next door to nice landscaping. Good luck

A good HOA will do that...... Big Grin

Posts: 23243 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
My parents are snowbirds that live less than 20 miles from there during the winter and have a guy they really like and he and his crew seem to take good care of them and everyone else they refer - I'd be happy to get his contact info for you if you'd like.

Posts: 1799 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your advice.
We do have a property management company; they’re good; did have a good landscaper but they’ve gotten unreliable. So I went to Yelp, went with somebody with good reviews. Problem is partly language barrier; my landscaper’s English is much better than most, but he may be too busy for his own good or mine.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
ShouldBFishin- somehow missed your offer.
I’d love to make contact. Please email me.
Thanksu

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Renter's Wharehouse is a management co I hear of regularly on the radio. I have no financial interest in this co

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
They make some realistic AstroTurf now.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post