SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Glass Mat Batteries?!?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glass Mat Batteries?!? Login/Join 
posted
MY wife noticed the Kia was cranking slow this AM and as it is 2+ years old and a factory battery in AZ I was not that shocked....

What shocked me is when i went on Autozone's site and saw a new battery was $250.00...Holy dicks on trees!

I called the dealer and was told that it is a glass mat battery and yes I am indeed 3 months past warranty so please pucker up!

I swear the next car I buy I am going to check parts prices prior to purchase to avoid this shit!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
That's not a terrible price for a quality AGM battery.

Oh, and you should be aware that individual cells can go bad (as in defective). Testing AGM batteries isn't as simple as grabbing your multimeter and measuring voltage.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
why does a KIA need the AGM battery? Seems a little - excessive since its not like it's a boat or offroad vehicle that gets slammed around.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
why does a KIA need the AGM battery? Seems a little - excessive since its not like it's a boat or offroad vehicle that gets slammed around.

Could be due to something like auto-stop technology.
My F150 has an AGM as well, due to the auto-start. The 2016 trucks with the 3.5 & 5.0 have standard batteries.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:

Could be due to something like auto-stop technology.
My F150 has an AGM as well, due to the auto-start. The 2016 trucks with the 3.5 & 5.0 have standard batteries.

It's probably that exactly. A standard flooded lead-acid starting battery is not designed to be partially discharged and left that way. Doing so will greatly shorten it's lifespan through sulfation of the plates. AGM batteries are not susceptible to this. I have a bad habit of leaving my radar detector plugged in. That coupled with my short commute, kills a standard flooded lead-acid battery in 2 years like clockwork. I got 4.5 years out of my last AGM and won't hesitate to spend the extra $30-40 when the time comes again.

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least you can buy your battery at auto zone. I purchased a Lexus HS250h a couple years ago and figured I might as well get a price on a battery because it's gotta go out eventually. Apparently it's a dealer only battery because you can't get it at Walmart, autozone, o'reilly, big o can't order it.... sooooo it's been 2 years and my car is still running strong but when I do need a replacement it's $350 at Lexus Eek

Posts: 1300 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Grand Cherokee has an AGM battery because it is in a bin under the front passenger seat. There are actually two in there- the big AGM and a little thing the size of a lawn tractor battery used to power stuff when the engine cuts out since it has that idiotic stop/start tech. I've since disabled that but I suppose having two is a good thing.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
It's probably that exactly. A standard flooded lead-acid starting battery is not designed to be partially discharged and left that way. Doing so will greatly shorten it's lifespan through sulfation of the plates. AGM batteries are not susceptible to this. I have a bad habit of leaving my radar detector plugged in. That coupled with my short commute, kills a standard flooded lead-acid battery in 2 years like clockwork. I got 4.5 years out of my last AGM and won't hesitate to spend the extra $30-40 when the time comes again.

Correct, a starting battery (no matter the configuration) is not intended to be deep discharged. You can buy flooded batteries (Trojans are the best) that can be deep discharged, also gel and AGM for deep dishcharge. You can also buy any of those three types that are for cranking only (not for deep discharge). The advantage to AGM batteries, vs pure flooded batteries, is they can be used in any position, and are not subject to problems from lots of vibration (off road use). AGM is still a lead acid battery, only the electrolyte is held in a glass mat, rather than simply as a liquid, so it does not spill. Computer UPS's use AGM batteries, as they are often placed on their side. I use a rather large (75lb) AGM battery to power my pressure sprayer when attached to my tractor. The main thing to differentiate, for your use, is whether the battery is intended for cranking, or deep discharge. Cranking batteries want to be kept up to charge at all times (traditional automobile batteries, and the alternator does this). Deep discharge batteries can be used for auto cranking use, and they must eventually be up to charge, but they can also be run down to half their amp-hour rating safely.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Just fed the old Artic Cat 300 a $90 AGM on Wednesday. About the size of a damn Big Mac. It sits 320 days a year.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ended up at O'Reilly Friday night to get a new battery and I will say this. The young kid who helped me was nothing but nice, polite and professional when he sold me the battery and then installed it

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
You can pick up a Duracell brand AGM at Sam's club for around $135

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I use NAPA Legend AGM batteries now and they generally run $125-$150.

And yes you need a special charger and tester for AGM.
I got a nice Shumacher tester/charger/jump box at Lowes on a Father's Day sale. That works on regular old batteries and AGM.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25357 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The battery in my 2011 Kia Sorento went 4 years before I noticed a weakening during startup. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it with an AGM for $185 that they warranted 100% replacement, no pro rating for 3 years. I never heard of such a thing. I've got to say that my dealings with this dealer has been stellar and I will get my next car from them, probably another Sorento. I love this car!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
My favorite is still the battery going out in a Hybrid. No, I don't mean the big lithium-ion pack underneath the back seat, I'm talking about the regular old 12v lead-acid job up front. It turns out that, if that one battery dies, the whole car won't start. Please just ignore the fact that there is a couple hundred pounds of OTHER batteries in the car that put out far more voltage and amps than that single battery, and that they still have plenty of juice. The regular 12v job up front goes out and the whole thing won't run. At least for 1st and 2nd gen Ford Fusion hybrids!

I lack the adjectives to describe just how annoyed and disappointed I was when this happened the first time. I'm sure this saved Ford a couple cents per unit not having to re-engineer...something, but wow is it lame.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post