SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I hate my staple gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I hate my staple gun Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I own this staple gun. It lives in my range bag.

As a staple gun, it works great. Shoots Staples just fine, doesn't jam...no complaints.

The problem is that at least once a session I walk 100 yards downrange to hang targets, and the stupid thing runs empty. There are no witness holes to show how many Staples are left in the gun, and the Staples fit too tightly on the track to open it up and dump them out. It's also sized just right so that it will only hold exactly one strip of Staples. You can't top it off with a new strip without breaking it. There's no way to know it's low till it's empty.

No big deal if you're in your workshop or near your trailer on a job site...bit on the range all the unnecessary walking gets old. Anybody else experience this same frustration and find a solution?

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You have perfectly defined 'first world problems'.

Well done sir. Big Grin

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the stupid thing runs empty.

Good example why you should always carry a reload, and practice emergency reloads at the range often.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
and the stupid thing runs empty.

Good example why you should always carry a reload, and practice emergency reloads at the range often.

Big Grin

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Just carry a BUG...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Two things to never do:

1) Never run your gun to slide lock.

2) Never do static reloads.

You are wasting tenths out there. You need to start counting your rounds as your progress through the targets. Every static reload or search for the slide release is killing your hit factor.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Just carry a BUG...

Wouldn’t that technically be a BUS

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wouldn’t that technically be a BUS

I actually almost said that.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too share your pain. I switched to a target stand that uses firring strips. I then clip the target to the strip with binder clips. They work great, last forever (unless you plink one) and can be left in place so you dont forget them.
My stapler now is a BUS.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What Yooper said works for me at the pistol range.

The rifle ranges at our club have backboards in place, so a stapler or something similar is needed. I have seen push pins or thumbtacks used.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire 100 staples or only 99?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a T50P Arrow, America’s best-selling staple gun, and would staple the southern boarder shut, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I always bring a roll of gorilla tape to the range. Sometimes it's just easier to tape the cardboard and target up.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Our local club switched to binder clips a few years ago. There are still some targets (overlays) that need to be stapled, however. I always check the staple load before leaving the storage shed, as they are invariably empty or almost empty.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
"I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire 100 staples or only 99?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a T50P Arrow, America’s best-selling staple gun, and would staple the southern boarder shut, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"

Comedy gold right there Big Grin.

Jack of All Trades;
Master of None
Picture of Tomkat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I own this staple gun. It lives in my range bag.

The problem is that at least once a session I walk 100 yards downrange to hang targets, and the stupid thing runs empty.

This made me laugh. I not only have the same staple gun; but, I have, at times, the same problem. When it happens I think to myself "self, you remembered to tie your shoes today but you couldn't remember to check the staple gun before you walked down range? Really? Sheesh!".

At times I wonder how I make it through the day. In my mind, I make fun of morons all the time. Then, I do things that remind me, I too am a moron.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I gave up and use partial strips and top off, when I remember of course.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Local 200 yd range has multiple of these for range users to tack up their targets.

Have had it happen on occasion that I get an empty or FTF/dead trigger out of one. Luckily, it was when I was at the 25yd line, not the 200.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Local 200 yd range has multiple of these for range users to tack up their targets.

Have had it happen on occasion that I get an empty or FTF/dead trigger out of one. Luckily, it was when I was at the 25yd line, not the 200.

I'd be too concerned to use one of those staplers even if sent back to Arrow to polish feed ramp. Maybe indoor range use with a target return, but I'd never carry it down range.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst part is there is no noticeable recoil or slide lock to alert the shooter the gun has run dry. I never once anticipate or flinch when firing a blank. It feels exactly the same each and every time. It even leaves a little dent in the target making you think it fired.

I have believed to staple all four corners only to move my hand and have the target fall to the ground.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just drill your own witness holes in the staple tray? If you F it up, you wanted to buy a new stapler anyway.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."