SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Thanks, but...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks, but... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Background:

There's a contractor that has his warehouse/office/yard behind my property and has deeded right-of-way down my drive. All good, he's a good guy.

I've mentioned him before, I do a lot of repair/maintenance work for him on various bits of equipment, including his plow truck. When he hooked up his plow this fall, it had multiple issues and I spent a fair bit of time troubleshooting it, but didn't solve the problem so I didn't bill him. (Turned out to be a bad control module for which I had no schematics or data).

The Issue:

I have my own snow-removal equipment in the form of a cabbed and heated tractor with a snow blower. When there's enough snow to bother moving, I fire it up and actually enjoy the process. When there's just a skiff of snow, I don't feel it's worth bothering with, so I don't.

This year for some reason (I suspect as a Thank You for attempting to fix his plow)he's apparently decided to plow me out every time the ground turns white. I really do appreciate the gesture, but I don't like the way he pushes the banks all the way across my lawn and on top of my flowerbed(s). No real harm being done, it ain't like I've got a putting green lawn, but it's not the way I want it done. Lack of piles of snow is why I like blowing it so much.

Of course, I can't really say anything without giving offense and it doesn't (quite) bother me enough to go there, but it is somewhat annoying.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I know exactly how you feel about your lawn- I have a helpful neighbor that likes to shove all the snow back across our back lawn, removing that protective, insulating cover. Last year he wiped out our solar lights along the edge of the garden by the house. Crushed them. Pisses me off, but I know it’s all with the best intent. I keep my front gate shut as often as possible.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Maybe exactly how you told us.

"Hey Friend, I enjoy firing up my equipment, I really appreciate you plowing for me, but you are taking away my only hobby".

Make a joke out of it, he'll understand.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I like matthews advice. I actually had a very similar situation this year. My property has a community well & underground treatment pit on it. Every day of the year we have someone from the water company come to my property to take readings, make sure everything is OK, etc... He usually parks on the street, then walks down my driveway (about 1/2 way) and then walks on the grass to get to the pit.

When it snows he plows my entire driveway. I appreciate it, but there are some times when I do not want it plowed. My driveway is about 35 years old and is deteriorating rapidly. I don't need to scrap the blade across the driveway when we get 2" of snow. Also, since he comes in from the road, the snow gets pushed toward my house and makes large berms that don't melt until Spring. When I plow my driveway, since I am starting at the bottom, I push it to the half way point, then over an edge.

I had 2 talks with him this winter telling him he doesn't need to plow my entire driveway. He can plow up to the point where he needs to go (half way), and be done. He is a very, very nice guy and we get along great. He tells me he "doesn't mind" plowing my entire driveway.

I think he got a little offended when I told him last week not to plow my entire driveway again. It was hard reminding him not to do it anymore, but I think he got it now. We'll see...

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well sounds like it's an easy to solve problem, just clear the path at first dusting of snow.

So you get to fire up the tractor and clear it before he has it done, the roads clean, you get to drive the heated cab tractor, you get to put the snow where ya like, if he asks just tell him the wife wanted you outta the house..

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
First World Problem.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
First World Problem.

True. In fact, I considered ending my OP with that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
True. In fact, I considered ending my OP with that.

I know the feeling and have to call myself out too at times, like when it occurs to me that a car parked in my reserved spot is embarrassingly insignificant in the scheme of things.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Maybe exactly how you told us.

"Hey Friend, I enjoy firing up my equipment, I really appreciate you plowing for me, but you are taking away my only hobby".

Make a joke out of it, he'll understand.

This ^^^^^

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I like matthew03 's answer.

I don't have snow and I don't plow. But I do understand there are some things I do myself and I like doing it in a particular way. There's not much that I do but those things that I do do, I don't like how others do them when they do it for me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post