SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    LaserMax LMS-2201 for full size P220 .45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LaserMax LMS-2201 for full size P220 .45  Login/Join 
posted
Hello from Illinois. Has anyone on here had any experience with the LaserMax LMS-2201 guide rod laser? It’s for the full size P220. I just got a P220 Scorpion and bought a LaserMax guide rod for it. The first one they sent me worked for about 5 or 6 on/off cycles and then quit on me. They sent me a new one and it worked fine until I got it to the range, then it quit after the first shot. Now it only works intermittently, and infrequently at that. I followed installation instructions to the letter both times, so I’m starting to think that the .45 may be too much for it. I’m trying to figure out whether I should get a replacement or cut my aggravation and get my money back. It’s not like I bought it off Amazon for 35 bucks; I paid almost to 250 for it. Anyway, the Scorpion is beautifully, deadly accurate.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet P220. The Lasermax is designed for the newer .45 ACP P220 only. I have some other P220s that are 9mm and it took some time to get it to work in the earlier versions. Wouldn't try it on a 10mm.

Does it have the multi-pack of batteries in the plastic sleeve? Sometimes the heat shrink process will shrink enough to allow separation between the batteries (this is exceedingly rare). You can also try turning it on with a wire from the muzzle end contacting the battery cap itself (see how long it stays on). Other than the batteries themselves, I can't think of any other reason that would have it operate this way. Batteries, while not under a constant load, will regenerate a small amount of voltage and this will allow for a few seconds of use after they have 'died' before. Lithium batteries will do this more times than most (this can be better explained on a molecular level, but it is beyond the scope of this discussion). $12 for some real batteries may be a bit much, but it would let you know if the unit is actually defective and allow you to return it before the refund window runs out.

If I remember correctly, the Lasermax I have for my 1911 has the same batteries as the one for the P220. They make a similar battery, but one was close to 1.2 volts and the other was around 1.5 or so. Check with the manual for the correct number if you are going to try this as they are almost identical in size. 392 or 393? Depending on when yours was made.

Sorry for the long winded response, let us know what you ultimately decide.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info! I’ll give the 393 batteries a shot. I spoke to a guy from LaserMax and he said the Cerakote around the guide rod opening could be effecting conductivity and to take some emery cloth to it. My brother has a standard P220, so I’m going to see how it works in that one before I start playing around with the finish on the Scorpion. I’ll let you know how it goes. Have a great weekend!

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post