SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why can't I ever keep it simple?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't I ever keep it simple? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Playing with the putt-putt boat and adding RC control for a rudder.

Plan A was to buy a $10 WalMart RC truck and scavenge the parts from it.

Well, by golly, there's a reason it's only $10 and just too crude for my taste. The steering I hoped to use to control the rudder is an all-or-nothing deal. A rack and pinion that's run by a reversable motor that just goes SLAM, left or right to the limit of travel. No in between. Centered, hard a-port or hard a-starboard.

So, noooooooooooooo, can't do that. Just dropped a Grant on Amazon for a transmitter, servo control receiver and a battery pack.

Of course that'll be too heavy for the motive power available and the next thing will be a brushless motor and a bigger battery pack...

Saaayyyy, is that a rabbit I see down there?

Sigh.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your going to need a bigger boat Smile

Hope you post pics or a vid of it working once you get it sorted out

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Well you've kept it slightly simpler than one of my best friends and what he's doing with his kids...he bought a 3-D printer to build his own replacement/repair parts for their RC cars. Don't even ask... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Well you've kept it slightly simpler than one of my best friends and what he's doing with his kids...he bought a 3-D printer to build his own replacement/repair parts for their RC cars. Don't even ask... Big Grin

Eek Wonder how long it'll take to amortize that!

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
would you happen to be a Gemini?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Shop for RC parts at Goodwill. There is usually a few to choose from and then you can get the engine out of the weed eater to make your boat faster. Big Grin

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Shop for RC parts at Goodwill. There is usually a few to choose from and then you can get the engine out of the weed eater to make your boat faster. Big Grin

I just happen to have a couple of weedeater engines laying around too. That used to be a regular thing in the Metal Shop when I worked at the High School. At least one kid every year would build one.

Never did see one actually run tho.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
would you happen to be a Gemini?

I'm a Libra:

LIBRA (Sept 23 - Oct 22)
You are the artistic type and have a difficult time with reality. If you are a man, you are more than likely gay. Chances for employment and monetary gains are excellent. Most Libra women are prostitutes. All Libra people die of Venereal disease.
Big Grin

Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
That is just great.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

I just happen to have a couple of weedeater engines laying around too. That used to be a regular thing in the Metal Shop when I worked at the High School. At least one kid every year would build one.

Never did see one actually run tho.

I bought a used 60" RC boat that had a weedeater motor (homelite). It ran at least 30 mph and was fun but always a pain in the rear......I used it twice, one time water got in it and ate up the servo's. Another time it stalled in the middle of the lake and I had to wait half an hour till it floated to shore. It was a blessing that someone stole it from my storage garage! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
This problem is nothing a couple hundred grand can't fix.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post