SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Chewy.com is losing vendors after Petsmart buyout - Found Alternative!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chewy.com is losing vendors after Petsmart buyout - Found Alternative! Login/Join 
posted
This morning I went to Chewy.com to buy Acana dog food & Fromm treats. I have been buying Orijen & Acana from Chewy for years. Not finding my Fromm treats I called customer service & was told that those companies will not do business with Petsmart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My wife gets our dog stuff delivered via Amazon subscription. It just comes at an interval you set.

I would expect Chewy.com to sell Chewbacca themed merchandise.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Not finding my Fromm treats I called customer service & was told that those companies will not do business with Petsmart.

Did they say why?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chewy said: "Acana/Orijen & Fromm prefer doing business with smaller companies". Fromm said: "We do not do business with Petsmart". I suspect Petsmart is trying to throw its weight around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Anush,

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
From a customer standpoint, I do not do business with PetSmart either.

I have had very unpleasant experiences the last three or four times that I was in there.

As my grandmother used to say, "Genug ist genug."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
I suspect Petsmart is trying to throw its weight around.

I'll bet Petsmart is like Wal-mart when it comes to their suppliers. Good for Orijen and the others for not kowtowing.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of Petsmart...never was but when they were bought a short time ago I had a lot of friends lose jobs very quickly and unceremoniously.

I have a Tractor Supply close by and I would rather give them my business

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Not a fan of Petsmart...never was but when they were bought a short time ago I had a lot of friends lose jobs very quickly and unceremoniously.

I have a Tractor Supply close by and I would rather give them my business

I've been buying my dog food at Tractor Supply. They have brands I can't find anywhere else. Not a Petsmart fan.

Posts: 348 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We've started buying Dr Elsie's cat litter from Chewy's recently. It's the best price we can find and they'll deliver.

The UPS man hates us when my wife orders 12 bags at a time.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
We've started buying Dr Elsie's cat litter from Chewy's recently. It's the best price we can find and they'll deliver.

$12.92 for 40 lbs at Amazon which is a $1.44 cheaper than Chewy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But Petsmart charges you more so they can give free dog food to someone else. They have their own form of redistribution of wealth.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

All of our dog food (and treats) are delivered by Amazon Prime (USPS nowadays). We get lots of good packing paper, which I never understood why they use with 30-40lb bags of dog food, because the paper is immediately compressed to nothing. But the packing paper is donated to the local UPS/FedEx delivery store, which is also our local sewing machine repair center.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:

$12.92 for 40 lbs at Amazon which is a $1.44 cheaper than Chewy.

Hmmm.... someone might have some splanin' to to.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Origen/Acana, Fromm's and Nutrisource do not sell to discounters or big box stores...only independent retailers.

Petsmart bought Chewy's in March, which was an independent retailer.

Fromm's started a direct sell website. Amazon may have the others.

I know a family owned independent retailer would work hard for and appreciate your business. Big Grin

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I used to buy Nutrisource from Chewy but now I have to go to a place that's a pain in the ass to get into, or drive all the way over across town to get it. I bought 4 bags of Nutrisource cat food as soon as I got the notice and have 1 left. I used the 50% off deal to try another brand and it looks like the cats like it ok, and I can get it almost anywhere, except the grocery store.

Why does everything have to get messed up? I really liked Chewy because they were cheaper and their shipping was FAST. I got my food one time the day after I ordered it! It never took more than two days to get anything I ordered.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gspdude
posted Hide Post
I used to buy Fromm from Chewy as well. I found a local independent store that carries it for the same cost (Chewy didn't discount or allow promos on Fromm). It's a great store with helpful staff that I wouldn't have found otherwise. I miss two day delivery to my doorstep, but I can live without that, at least for my dog food.

Posts: 544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
...I know a family owned independent retailer would work hard for and appreciate your business. Big Grin

For a while we bought Merrick canned cat food from a small pet store in DeKalb, IL, but nearly every third case of food was damaged. We discussed this with the owner, who couldn't explain it, and was getting frustrated with taking back rancid food.

We switched to the Petco store in DeKalb, paid about 30 cents more per can for the same food, but never had an issue with spoilage again.

I always prefer small retail to big box, and in defense of the first pet store, Merrick seems to be a pretty "quirky" company to deal with. It isn't the only time I've seen a small business struggle where the big box has it easier.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Make sure you sign up with the retailer for the Fromms frequent buyer program. Buy 12 get one free. Only the independents have this.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found alternative to Chewy. 2 day shipping from Jersey isn't bad. Has my Acana & Fromm, also has Orijen
https://www.petflow.com/

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You may want to check with Jeff. He's a lot closer than NJ so shippings less and he' not fron NJ. Smile

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post