SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Scumbag thieves...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scumbag thieves... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Muh-ther Fuch-ker.

Girlfriend just called me all upset. Her vehicle was super-loud this morning; it was fine last night.

Nursed it to the auto-shop....someone cut out the catalytic converter. Looking at least $2k to fix....they tore out some sensors as well.

Feeling like this right now....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I thought they quit stealing catalytic converters years ago.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:

It’s an older vehicle, maybe they can still get cash from it? Unreal.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Is it possible or prudent to file a claim with insurance? Car/home/renters? Might be covered?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that happened. Definitely call your car insurance company.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It really should be legal to shoot the bastards on sight. And while we're at it, legalize booby traps. Eventually, the problem would solve itself...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
The catalyst component of a catalytic converter is usually platinum (Pt), along with palladium (Pd), and rhodium (Rh). All three of these platinum group metals, or PGMs, are extremely rare but have a broad range of applications in addition to catalytic converters. Platinum, for example, is used in laboratory and dental equipment, electrical contacts and electrodes, and jewelry, while palladium plays a key role in fuel cell technology. With numerous applications and limited supply, these valuable metals are an attractive target for recovery and reuse from spent catalytic converters. In 2010, the total value of Pt, Pd, and Rh reclaimed from the recycling of spent catalytic converters was $3 billion.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
That really blows.

A couple of years ago I the local news had a segment on this - they were stealing them from parking garages. St Paul saw a spike in the theft of catalytic converters this summer. I would have thought that the cold weather would have slowed this down.

You'd think the police would be cracking down on the places that buy them.

What part of the cities was this?

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:

Most scrap yards around here at least quit taking them so they're probably hard to convert to easy cash, but they are still valuable if you have a way to sell it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
St Paul saw a spike in the theft of catalytic converters this summer. I would have thought that the cold weather would have slowed this down.

She owns a condo in an area that used to be a very nice part of St. Louis Park, in recent years it has turned more…less desirable area to live.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I had not realized that airbags were also a target for thieves.

The bastages smashed the passenger door window of my delivery truck and stole the airbag, totally trashed the cab. It looked like a hand grenade had gone off in there.

I agree with PHPaul's post above. It should be legal to bait and booby trap and / or shoot them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It comes and goes. A few years ago a neighboring PD had one of the auto dealer lots hit. They got over 50 of them!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
We seem to be having a rash of them all over the Tidewater area the last few months. Those battery-powered sawzalls can remove one in a minute.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1865 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago some assholes punctured the tanks in all of the uhauls at the uhaul dealer next door to my job. They said between them and the other nearby uhaul dealers that had been hit in the last couple weeks they have had 80k in damages for maybe a couple thousand dollars in gas stolen.

Booby traps ftw

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Boat ramps became the target of sawsall happy mf'ers a few years ago.
Some hired guards because it got so bad.
Seems a guy was caught with a shed full of them.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
This happened to my ex inlaws one year during Christmas shopping. They were parked in the Hell and Gone section of Samsclub's lot. When they came out, their Tahoe was louder than usual.
Apparently someone had gotten scared off 1/2 way through the job. Front pipe was cut, but only about 1/4 way through the back pipe.

A large building near me, an old skating rink converted to a warehouse, had all of its old AC units hulled out. The security light was shot out a few nights before, then they came back.

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HighZonie:
The catalyst component of a catalytic converter is usually platinum (Pt), along with palladium (Pd), and rhodium (Rh). All three of these platinum group metals, or PGMs, are extremely rare but have a broad range of applications in addition to catalytic converters. Platinum, for example, is used in laboratory and dental equipment, electrical contacts and electrodes, and jewelry, while palladium plays a key role in fuel cell technology. With numerous applications and limited supply, these valuable metals are an attractive target for recovery and reuse from spent catalytic converters. In 2010, the total value of Pt, Pd, and Rh reclaimed from the recycling of spent catalytic converters was $3 billion.

Or you could melt it down and make an Arc Reactor.....

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Like others posted I thought "cat burgling" Wink was a thing of the past until I read your post. A

nd now at lunch, I see Fox News has an article on it today.

Although the article pertains to the UK, there are stats as to the crime in the US. One quote was there were 4000 claims filed in 2015 and the burglars get between $20 to $240 per cat.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/s...ighting-common-crime

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Down here (Arizona), stolen Catalytic converters are shipped to Mexico for replacement on the vehicles stolen here (Arizona).

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Although my brother’s gravesite was left untouched, some fuckers stole an estimated $70,000 worth of grave markers, name plaques, and flower urns from his cemetery. I live out of state, and not sure what ever came of it. Although someone did help themselves to a small momento I left on his grave marker.

That’s just as bad as people stealing from a church.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post