SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Incompetent Scammers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incompetent Scammers Login/Join 
posted
So I received an obvious auto-dialed fraud phone call asking me to call back to claim a refund of a charge that I never made. I carefully wrote down the number to call back and mess with them. I called within 5 minutes of the call to me. The number had already been disconnected. WTF? What kind of a scammer wastes time and money on an autodialed call that is giving out a disconnected number? I am outraged. These scammers today are inefficient and incompetent!

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
better than competant scammers. i would not even call them back!!!!

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Yeah what we really need is more savvy, slick scammers who can be more successful in getting money from unsuspecting consumers. I think the universities, especially the Iny Leagues, should replace their classes on the evils of America and capitalism with those geared to teaching students how to take money from those folks who actually worked for a living and managed to build up a nice nest egg.

Oh wait.. they're already doing that.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
Yeah what we really need is more savvy, slick scammers who can be more successful in getting money from unsuspecting consumers. I think the universities, especially the Iny Leagues, should replace their classes on the evils of America and capitalism with those geared to teaching students how to take money from those folks who actually worked for a living and managed to build up a nice nest egg.

Oh wait.. they're already doing that.

Well, in case there was a doubt, the post was sarcastic. I don't want the scammers to be competent. I want scammers to catch a flesh eating virus and die a slow death.

Posts: 1049 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I believe the scammers now have a device that will show all the incoming numbers to their disconnected recording with the thinking that you may be a "live one" so now they sell your number to all the other scammers Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The IRS ones don't even remember your number so you can call them back with a different name.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They don't need to wait for you to call back. They are using psychological ideas so that some people are more likely to agree if they get through to you.

Some calls can sense the difference between an answering machine and a live voice, and route the call appropriately.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
WAIT! You mean that I may not be arrested for tax evasion, Social Security Fraud and I won't be able to lower the interest rate on my VisaMasterCard?

Damn, I am going back to bed, this day is starting out with disappointment.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:

WAIT! You mean that I may not be arrested for tax evasion, Social Security Fraud and I won't be able to lower the interest rate on my VisaMasterCard?

Be not of faint heart.

You can still get an extended vehicle warranty.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
WOW! All youse guys are getting the same calls we are Eek

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:

Be not of faint heart.

You can still get an extended vehicle warranty.

Don’t worry, “The Pharmacy” or the “Medical knee and ankle brace”people won’t forget you though.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
My FIL got taken a couple times last year, one for 4k. This guy called and pretended to be a lawyer representing his grandson who needed bail money due to a car accident. They even put another guy on the phone pretending to be the grandson. When my FIL asked him why his voice sounded so different he said that he broke his nose in the accident. The scammer told my FIL to go to WalMart and get 4k in gift cards then call him back with the numbers. Poof, 4k was gone.

Another time my FIL got caught up in this scam to fix his computer. He kept mailing this guy checks who would "fix" his computer over the internet. That cost about $700 before my wife intervened.

Scammers would call my FIL all the time and he would spend hours on the phone with them. Finally my wife and SIL set up his phone so that only calls from family members would get through.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
I get robo calls all the time and I have fun answering them.

I had one the other day that was some Indian or Pakistani guy claiming to be from Visa and Mastercard. He asked me which card I have and I told him that since he was from the credit card company he clearly would know which card I had. He bent over backwards to avoid answering the question. Then he hung up. Oh well.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Of course I don’t answer most. If I do I may play along a little, never real information.

If I have a real person, I set the phone by a speaker & let them listen to Rush or another talk host until they go away.

The number thing is all tricks. They throw that local number on your caller ID, then have a way that most call-backs say ‘out of service’.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post