SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subway mentality
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subway mentality Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I prefer choosing my own toppings which the OP calls the Subway way.

However, I greatly prefer fresh vegetables and Subway forced their franchises to go to once a week deliveries from Subway. I'd much rather go to a place that gets their veggies 3x per week (especially lettuce) and gets them locally.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a default and be able to specify modifications if desired. Generally, a sandwich has a default or popular method.

But I hate going to Subway - it's too tedious to order there. If you don't know how to make a generally accepted Pastrami Sandwich then I'll go elsewhere.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somebody's been watching too many westerns. I love it when cowboy walks in a bar; "gimme a beer" and a mug of draft beers shows up. Nowadays, "gimme a beer"... What kind of beer? Miller. What kinda Miller? "Lite" "Draft or bottle?", Draft. What size? Don't matter, I'll be back for more....

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mindustrial:
Somebody's been watching too many westerns. I love it when cowboy walks in a bar; "gimme a beer" and a mug of draft beers shows up. Nowadays, "gimme a beer"... What kind of beer? Miller. What kinda Miller? "Lite" "Draft or bottle?", Draft. What size? Don't matter, I'll be back for more....

"Beer"

"What kind?"

"Yellow"

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I frequented a Subway that I trained exactly as the OP wanted. Made a pretty big thing of repeating I don’t care, whatever you would make your kids.

I told the lady remember how Mom did it? You’re eating what I made? That’s what I want.

I became nearly famous “your that guy! Hey is this your guy?”

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I can see all sides, many people are picky though, no pickles, only certain cheese, no salt.

Part if it stems from we’re all so ‘special’ and individual. Can’t see most in the chow hall line taking a scoop of what’s offered while moving down the line.

Look at the Starbucks order, though I seldom go there. Months ago a guy told me I must be special, my order came so quick. I said, no not special, just that I ordered a black coffee.

Sometimes I try to cut down on instructions by saying, ‘a turkey sub with everything you can fit’.

If we even end up with a ‘Walking Dead’ type society, people won’t care what’s on the sub.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I like being able to tell them light mayo or extra jalapenos, or hold the special sauce. I can't understand how someone would prefer to have them throw whatever they feel like on their sandwich.

As for the couple of comments about food quality at Subway, I was an assistant manager there for three years while in college. They always used top shelf ingredients when I worked there. The only complaint I had was the tomatoes were hot house ones and were blah.

I refuse to eat there now, not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I've had enough for a lifetime. I ate lunch and dinner there four days a week for three years. Great for a poor college student, but now I can't stand the smell of going into one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here in the Yoop, its Togos. Yum!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Subway? I don't like bread sandwiches.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Don’t get me started on a Taylor Ham, Egg & cheese on a bagel.

The voice of experience we'd get them on a fresh Kaiser roll.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I like good old Italian subs

I never confused subway with "good old Italian subs".

ditto

if you are ever in Charlottesville,

Durty Nellies' pub,

order the Hot Italian,
and a cold beer (they have a good selection)

tasty

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I refuse to eat there now, not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I've had enough for a lifetime. I ate lunch and dinner there four days a week for three years. Great for a poor college student, but now I can't stand the smell of going into one.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they’re limiting fresh veggie deliveries to franchises so yes there is something wrong with quality. Here is the Dec ‘17 article on it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
There's an east coast chain (not sure how far they've spread) called Jersey Mike's. Their subs are listed by number, and you can either get (a few) toppings to your spec, or "Mike's way." My usual order is a #13 (The Original Italian) "Mike's way."

Mike's way is onions, lettuce, tomatoes, spices and red wine vinegar + olive oil.

Jersey Mike's is good stuff. Great turkey, and the 13 is awesome too

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I like good old Italian subs

I never confused subway with "good old Italian subs".

That's what I was thinking. Or even good sandwiches in general. Subway is the place to go for a quick meal, I used to say cheap but it's not anymore.

I used to hate Subway for it's lack of quality and always went to a local sub shop that is incredibly good.

However, now I'm older and eating healthier. It's easier to eat healthy at Subway......Egg white's, wheat bread, multrigrain flatbred, they hardly put on any meat (and you sure as hell don't want extra cause it sucks), so you get a healthy sandwich with a ton of veggies and hint of meat flavor and it's healthy Big Grin

But boy do I miss that Laspada's roast beef sub on white sub roll with extra mayo, provolone, let., tom., onions, sweet peppers and oil and vinegar.........

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If you’re wondering why so few people are addressing your actual complaint about the Greek restaurant you went to it’s because you used a trigger word of sorts when you used Subway as the example of the build it yourself style restaurant. You should have maybe used Moes or something. Subway is really the perfect example and should be a great way to describe what you mean, but people get triggered when you say Subway (or any chain to a degree) and everything you say past that point will be ignored.

You will learn what a “real” sandwich is and the opinions of where those are made. But you won’t get a whole lot of comments on the rest of your post Wink.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't mind telling them that I like a little pickled okra and no eggplant on my sandwich. I'd prefer made to order. From their point of view, I bet most orders would have some customization any way - give me a number 3, but hold the deep fried lettuce and double up on the marmalade. Might as well go whole hog.

Subway doesn't make a great sandwich, but sometimes it is handy and cheap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, they’re limiting fresh veggie deliveries to franchises so yes there is something wrong with quality. Here is the Dec ‘17 article on it.

That's gross. We had deliveries three times a week for veggies and once or twice for meats and cheeses, other things as needed. Glad I only eat there once a year or so when it's the only option. Most things it wouldn't matter for, but the lettuce is shredded and doesn't last a week. Never ate their lettuce though because it tastes like plastic.

In the nineties they were actually serving good quality food. I was proud to work there. We also at the time gave police and firefighters 50% all their food too. Was a cop/FF in our shop a third of the day.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

That's gross. We had deliveries three times a week for veggies and once or twice for meats and cheeses, other things as needed. Glad I only eat there once a year or so when it's the only option. Most things it wouldn't matter for, but the lettuce is shredded and doesn't last a week. Never ate their lettuce though because it tastes like plastic.

In the nineties they were actually serving good quality food. I was proud to work there. We also at the time gave police and firefighters 50% all their food too. Was a cop/FF in our shop a third of the day.

I don't think so. Half of the veggies you buy in the grocery store are probably a week old at best if not two weeks old. Then they're good for another week or two in your fridge. I think if they're shipped right after picking and are at worst a week old when delivered, they will easily last a week long.

Now, their brown and green colored Roast Beef, that's an entire matter altogether Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Mmm, rainbow beast.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually like that model where the customer starts with a basic option, and add specifically what he wants, rather than having to ask or otherwise determine what it comes with and subtract what he doesn't want, then add items he wants.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post