SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subway mentality
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Subway mentality Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted
Is is just me or does anybody else dislike the way Subway sandwich shops work?

I don't want to have to stand in a line and explain to someone how to make my sandwich. they should know how to do it. I'm not picky and don't have allergies or a specific 'condition' I like good old Italian subs or a club .... I've mentioned to the manager of a Subway more than once they need one item on their menu called... "leave it to us" and you just say that one and they make it for you, no questions asked.

The reason I'm 'ranting' about this is we have a local resterant here in my town that does a booming business selling Greek and Mid-eastern food... they make it fast and sell it pretty cheap... now in a new shopping center near me is a new semi-local chain that has opened up and sells pretty much the same thing... my wife wants to go try it out... so we walk in... guess what? You have to stand at the counter and walk down with the employee on the other side and tell them what you want on your plate..... food was good but I don't want to have to do this.... given me a #3 is all I want to have to say....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve never really thought about it before but I think I prefer the subway method. Most sandwich shops operate the way you want. You can add or remove toppings but the sandwiches come with a pre-defined list. I am not really a picky eater but I prefer telling people what I want instead of asking them to remove toppings I don’t as it seems like there is less chance for them to screw it up, especially when I can watch them make it.

I’ll say this about places that operate like subway and build orders to your specifications in front of your eyes, I’ve never had an order messed up.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You can still do that. Go into Subway, order your footlong, and tell them to make it however they wish. Or you can tell them to make it like what is shown in the picture.

I always get the same thing and don't have to tell them anything at all. They start making it the second they see me.

What gets me are the people who say "give me lots of pickles", so they toss on a bunch and then the same person says "that's too much". Or the people that want the extra pickles, but they want them laid out in some sort of exact fashion so that they get exactly 1.329 pickles per bite.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like good old Italian subs

I never confused subway with "good old Italian subs".

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried
https://www.mcalistersdeli.com/menu/sandwiches

https://www.jasonsdeli.com/menu

?

I really don't want salt,pepper, Mayo, peppers or Parmesan cheese,

and I want my sub toasted with the lettuce and tomato on it.

quit piling cold stuff on my hot sandwich.
so its working for me.

I think you need an honest to goodness "Deli" shop.

with a half dozen dedicated sandwiches , that they have been making for 30 years,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Not so much about Subway, but definitely hate the mexican places that are cropping up where you have to tell them how to make a burrito..

I don't have a freaking clue what all is in the burritos that I like - I just order them and eat them. Then I go to these places where you have to ask for each specific item to include in the burrito and I'm like - I don't know, just give me a dang burrito like it's supposed to be made.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I was in one recently (only because our group pres likes them), pointed to the picture and description of a Reuben or some similar sandwich and said "I want that sandwich, made that way with all and only those toppings.

You'd have thought I ordered a Space Shuttle.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12394 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I like the Subway method. I'm picky about toppings and don't like a bunch of sauce slopped on my sandwich. I like the fact that I can say 'more pickles, please' or 'just a few jalapenos, please.'

Just my opinion.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Our waitress at the beanery where the old goats eat breakfast has told me “that may not be what you ordered, but that’s what you’re gonna eat”. I just love that gal.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I stopped eating at Subway in general. Thanks to Firehouse Subs, Thundercloud, Jersey Mike's, etc, I don't really have a reason to go back ever again. It sure as hell wouldn't be for the quality of their food. Don't know what options are in your area, but have you tried any of the above?

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
It would be nice if you could say "Leave off the plastic meat and put on some real ham, please".

Cannot eat at Subway.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I like good old Italian subs

I never confused subway with "good old Italian subs".

That's what I was thinking. Or even good sandwiches in general. Subway is the place to go for a quick meal, I used to say cheap but it's not anymore.

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Jimmie John's. Order by number. If you try to deviate on content, THEY freak out.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get where you're coming from. It's a training and customer service issue. Easier for you to watch them make your food than them having to remember your order or read a ticket. Why bother hiring and training competent staff when the customer can supervise them?

I once ordered a ham sandwich at Subway and got a sandwich with no meat. Hilarity ensued when I took it back to the counter.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The whole concept of Subway is sandwiches made to your order.

I'm paying for it, I want it made the way I prefer it, not the way that somebody in corporate thinks it should be made.

I don't want lettuce. Oil and vinegar? No thanks, I'll take a little oil but I don't like the taste of vinegar. Onion? You bet! In fact, make it extra onion, please.

Not only Subway, but just about every place I might stop to grab a quick lunch makes the sandwiches to order. Publix, Winn-Dixie, FireHouse, Jersey Mike's, heck, even at low-rent places like McDonald's, Burger King, Steak & Shake, and Wendy's you can specify the toppings.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30640 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
For you guys that didn’t grow up or spend time in the northeast (NY, NJ, CT, Etc...) will prob never know what a real deli sandwich is. I have been all over the country and nowhere compared to a hero (in northern NJ we call them hero’s not subs) that you get from a mom and pop Italian or Jewish deli. The meat alone is taller then an entire subway sandwich. There’s a lot of things to knock about living in Those areas but the food ain’t one of them. Don’t get me started on a Taylor Ham, Egg & cheese on a bagel.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Just go get a pastrami and cheese at Primanti Bros. in downtown Pittsburg. That'll cure you... Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
There's an east coast chain (not sure how far they've spread) called Jersey Mike's. Their subs are listed by number, and you can either get (a few) toppings to your spec, or "Mike's way." My usual order is a #13 (The Original Italian) "Mike's way."

Mike's way is onions, lettuce, tomatoes, spices and red wine vinegar + olive oil.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
For the win! They've ventured down here to Houston, much to my delight!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
For you guys that didn’t grow up or spend time in the northeast (NY, NJ, CT, Etc...) will prob never know what a real deli sandwich is. I have been all over the country and nowhere compared to a hero (in northern NJ we call them hero’s not subs) that you get from a mom and pop Italian or Jewish deli. The meat alone is taller then an entire subway sandwich. There’s a lot of things to knock about living in Those areas but the food ain’t one of them. Don’t get me started on a Taylor Ham, Egg & cheese on a bagel.

I won't get you started, but the proper way is this:

Fried Taylor Ham, Fried Egg with Old Bay seasoning and fresh ground black pepper, Sharp cheddar cheese slice (slightly melted), on an English Muffin with mayo on one half, butter on the other. Amazing!

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post