SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Photobucket, no more 3rd party image linking
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photobucket, no more 3rd party image linking Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I hope I can hang in there for a couple months when my bandwidth gets better.
We are supposed to be getting ATT fiber gigabit service soon.
If so then I will just put it on one of my own servers.
So far I haven't got the "notice", I do have a paid account but I think it is like $40 per year not a month.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Giving my new Imgur account a shot now after getting the famed PB email myself:

Edited to add: seems a tad large. Will tweak but it's a first step out of PB.

An attempt here from Amazon Prine.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Haven't gotten the notice and my avatar is still here for now.

Posted to see if I can link to a private facebook picture ... test ...

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
^^^ I can see the picture after I posted. Anyone not able to see it?

One more just make sure. If it works, I'll just use facebook for free hosting ... test ...

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Hobbs, the pics you posted look good.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Just went through the same thing with them. What to, what to do.....

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Photobucket wants $399 a year to be used as a host for 3rd party images. I think they want to drive all the free storage users away to save space and if a customer pops for the $399 it's gravy for PB.
I copied all my photos to my computer but I am not deleting any, will leave my photos to be a pain in PB's side like they have been for me.

Posts: 134 | Location: HENDERSON, NEVADA | Registered: December 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Except you're not hurting them in any way by using their storage. It's their bandwidth that they want compensation for using.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Regarding Facebook:

I used to use them exclusively, but one problem I tend to have is that occasionally your linked photo will post HUGE on SigForum.

Saddened that the cigar thread will soon see many photos removed.

6 page discussion on this in The Lounge:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8270084624

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
What a mess! Way to alienate your customers photobucket!

Posts: 670 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you switch to flickr like I did make sure you set your privacy settings - they default to being public to everyone and all public searches.

Posts: 183 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Regarding Facebook:

I used to use them exclusively, but one problem I tend to have is that occasionally your linked photo will post HUGE on SigForum.

Posted 3 photos on SF linked to FB so far and they are the same size as when uploaded to FB. I do have some large photos on FB though and will have to be careful linking to them.

PB hasn't cut me off yet, and so I haven't gotten around to linking my SF avatar to FB.

EDIT: test to see if avatar (linked to FB) is correct size before changing SF profile link ...

EDIT AGAIN: Changed link in SF profile from PB to FB.
<<< Avatar still under SF member name and correct size. Will wait a few days to see if it sticks before deleting PB account.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Trying Flickr:
Vaquero1K by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Just set up an Imgur account, much easier than Photobucket. I'm moving photos and deleting the account today.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I moved my avatars over to Imagur yesterday, and will start hosting other images either there or on Postimage. Then I emptied and cancelled my Photobucket account. I hadn't received any notice about upgrading, but Photobucket had enough other annoyances that I went ahead and dropped it while there were all kinds of helpful alternative suggestions popping up in this thread.

I noticed my older posts on SF are still trying to reference the Photobucket image, but later ones are getting the new one from Imagur. Just the way the forum software works, I guess.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
Just set up an Imgur account, much easier than Photobucket. I'm moving photos and deleting the account today.

That's what I'm using now and now wonder why I stuck with clunky-ass PhotoPhucket as long as I did!

Posts: 33602 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dubya
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
^^^ I can see the picture after I posted. Anyone not able to see it?

One more just make sure. If it works, I'll just use facebook for free hosting ... test ...

That looks like a happy dog! Smile

Sons of the Republic of Texas, NRA, TSRA
God Bless America

Posts: 4075 | Location: The Great Lone Star State, Texas | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Testing IMGUR

Posts: 23239 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
That's lame

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post