SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Playing "Beat The Clock" At Walmart
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Playing "Beat The Clock" At Walmart Login/Join 
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Stopped on my way home today to grab a bag of oranges. Let's see, $4.97 for a 3 pound bag, that's $1.66 / pound, or $5.97 for a 5 pound bag, that's $1.19 / pound.

Grab the five pound bag and go to the self-serve checkout. Scan the barcode, and WTF? $6.97!

Called the self-serve supervisor lady over and told her that the shelf tag for this item was $5.97, not $6.97, so off we march, to the fruit area, to verify, where a Walmart worker had a cart and a portable terminal. Shelf tag now said $6.97.

Self-serve supervisor lady looks at me as if I'm just wasting her time. I asked the woman with the portable terminal, "Did you just change the price on these oranges?"

Yup. I said, "You didn't even give me time to get to the register before you increased the price."

She laughed and said, "You snooze, you lose. You gotta make it to the register faster." Then she told the supervisor lady to give them to me at the lower price.

While the supervisor lady was manually ringing it up, I asked if that happened a lot. She told me that they had to cover their losses due to theft.

I was incredulous, as I asked, "Are you really serious? I am paying for my product and you are penalizing me for thieving customers? Really?"

She looked embarrassed and asked me to forget what she had said.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14447 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd have wasted that much time for a buck.
Still a dick move on Wally's part but you gotta pick your battles.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can do it your own way, if it's done just how I say."

Posts: 6140 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
Picture of Pale Horse
posted Hide Post
Everyone pays for thieving customers. It's included in every price for every product.

Georgia Carry Member Calguns Foundation Member Second Amendment Foundation Member NRA Lifetime Member

Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets. -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 11785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I don't get it.

They have to change prices sometime.

You want they should announce,
" ATTENTION, WALMART SHOPPERS: THE PRICE OF ORANGES IS GOING UP A DOLLAR IN THREE MINUTES. IF YOU HAVE A BAG OF ORANGES IN YOUR SHOPPING CART, YOU BETTER GET YOUR WHINEY ASS TO THE CHECKOUT LANE, TOUTE DE SUITE, OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE." Smile

Posts: 8037 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Everyone pays for thieving customers. It's included in every price for every product.

True. Stores in bad neighborhoods charge higher prices for a very sensible reason....

Posts: 2034 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
" ATTENTION, WALMART SHOPPERS: THE PRICE OF ORANGES IS GOING UP A DOLLAR IN THREE MINUTES. IF YOU HAVE A BAG OF ORANGES IN YOUR SHOPPING CART, YOU BETTER GET YOUR WHINEY ASS TO THE CHECKOUT LANE, TOUTE DE SUITE, OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PEACE." Smile
Great idea! I'll drop it into the suggestion box next time I'm there. Smile

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14447 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't get it.

Lots of times, the price change team does it during the night when the store is closed.

Posts: 5610 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
Lots of times, the price change team does it during the night when the store is closed.
Yeah, this one caught me by surprise.

I probably would not have bothered questioning it, but I had just done the math on a three pound bag vs. a five pound bag a couple of minutes earlier, so I was pretty sure that I remembered the price accurately. I wanted to verify -- I'm two days shy of 80, and I'm pretty conscious of looking for signs of memory problems, aging brain, etc., so I'm sort of anal about checking things out if I think I've made that sort of error.

My father died very young, just a few months after Pearl Harbor, but his siblings, a brother and a sister, both succumbed to Alzheimer's, both of them when they were much younger than I am. To date, I have not detected any indication of that disease in myself, but I'm a bit concerned about the possibility, so whenever there's any sort of self-doubt, I make a point of verification.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't get it.

This bespeaks many, many years of wisdom working in a retail environment.

Posts: 7751 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I saw that episode.

Almost as much fun as the talking produce!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34501 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.... did not know that bags of oranges were so popular with thieves.
Thanks, Wal-Mart!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 4492 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a 24-hour grocery store chain in Colorado with a policy that the items were free if they rang up the wrong price. Newspaper advertisements would show up in the mail Sunday and be effective Wednesday.

If you walked in with the paper ad and shopped sale items just past midnight Wednesday morning, their computer frequently hadn't updated the prices for sales items and you ended up getting many things for free.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
Yeah, this one caught me by surprise.

I probably would not have bothered questioning it, but I had just done the math on a three pound bag vs. a five pound bag a couple of minutes earlier, so I was pretty sure that I remembered the price accurately. I wanted to verify -- I'm two days shy of 80, and I'm pretty conscious of looking for signs of memory problems, aging brain, etc., so I'm sort of anal about checking things out if I think I've made that sort of error.

My father died very young, just a few months after Pearl Harbor, but his siblings, a brother and a sister, both succumbed to Alzheimer's, both of them when they were much younger than I am. To date, I have not detected any indication of that disease in myself, but I'm a bit concerned about the possibility, so whenever there's any sort of self-doubt, I make a point of verification.

Happy Birthday early! Hope the next 80 go smooth as butter for ya!!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

If it's mechanical it's either new, in the process of breaking, or completely broken.

Posts: 8315 | Location: Front Range, Colorado  | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past it was not uncommon for the shelf price to not match the price at the cash register. If I recall correctly some stores did not update the prices regularly. Someone complained to the state Attorney General and the problem was cleared up. Usually the customer was shorted, but not always. I don't know that this happens with today's technology or not.

Posts: 282 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are open 24 hrs a day she would be your preferred time to make changes. Like gas prices.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 3913 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I would be ticked off too if the price moved up on me that way.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 12340 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've learned to use the camera in my IPhone to document any super bargains. Was shopping last Saturday at Meijers and they had sweat pants tagged at 29 dollars on a rack with a rack tag that stated "25% off all items normally priced at 14 dollars". BTW, that 29 dollar price was the manufacturer suggested retail so I figured the 14 dollar tag had been removed. I got to checkout and when they rang up at 25% off 29 dollars I said wait a minute. Showed the clerk pics of the sign and the rack loaded with identical sweat pants and she called a supervisor over. Who claimed it was a mistake, somebody must have misloaded the rack. I came back with Michigan Deceptive Practices Act which specifically bans "mistakes" like this and got my 2 pair of sweat pants for 10.50 bucks a pair.

BTW, years ago I would have felt a bit guilty about a bargain like this but not anymore. Because I've learned over the years that a lot of retailers will make "mistakes" like this one the hopes that people won't argue when it's corrected at the register. A practice that the Deceptive Practices Act was writer specifically put a stop to. Recently the State Attorney General has ruled that marking an item up prior to a "sale" also falls under this act and enforcement for stores caught pulling this scam are going to get hit with the maximum penalties under the law.

Sad thing is I used to like shopping at Meijers but in the past 10 or 15 years they've responded to Walmarts competition by pulling the same underhanded scams that Walmart has become famous for. They are also about as well clerked in the checkout area as Walmart which means that no matter what time of day it is you are going to wait in line, even for the self checkout.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 3730 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Lots of times when Walmart has discounts like 50 percent off Christmas items, some of the items on the shelf have been missed and are not programed in the computer. It is always wise to use the price checker before getting in line and checking out.

"Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant. If you get his attention, he’ll be awake, bite your face off, and sit on you.".. Newt Gingrich.

Posts: 8571 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
Or maybe the supervisor did not know what she was talking about. I cannot believe that changing the prices on a few items makes up for that kind of loss.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1395 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
That is exactly why I don't shop at WallyMart, I despise their sales practice's.

----------------------------
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man
is a shame, two is a law firm,
and three or more is a congress.
-- John Adams

Posts: 2701 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post