SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Skunk-1. Dog-0 ! Yuck!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skunk-1. Dog-0 ! Yuck! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
Of course, the border collie picks tonight, with heavy snow, winds and 4" of wet snow on the ground to "learn" about skunks.

And also it happens 25 feet from the house. So we will have the aroma for weeks.

I always have two bottles of Skunk-OFF arround, so got her sprayed down and cleaned up quickly. But I of course get contaminated as well. Same for my shoes and clothes.

And equally distasteful ,this means a contract out on the skunk , as well as any family members. Hate to kill things like this but this is the 3rd time it's been way too close to the house. First two times it waddled away and the dog obeyed my commands and left it alone.

Rant mode...OFF

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Took my sister's dog 3 tries to learn to avoid them. Hope yours is a fast learner.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
We had an Aussie that got hit once. If there was even a whiff of skunk in the air after that she headed home, didn't matter how far out on the property.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've heard (never tried it, could be fact or fantasy) that tomato juice will get rid of most of the smell.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Wash with whatever, after two weeks the smell will dissipate.

Posts: 6131 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Skunk-OFF works well...so does a spray that Remington sells. I have both.

Having previously owned Siberians/Malamutes I am always prepared! LOL.

Thankfully not a porcupine incident. Have had a few of those in the past. I'll take stink over a Vet visit, anesthesia and surgical removal.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
My farm dogs never did quit the skunk habit. I think they actually enjoyed the aroma.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had an incident with all the coon dogs I had in my youth.
I got it one time though and my mom made me strip down buck naked on the front porch.
Tomato juice and I slept in the basement.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
And just wait until that snow melt happens. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living on a ranch with dogs who get to learn about new things results in unexpected chemistry lessons... Usually in the middle of the night. Fortunately ours seem to learn about the hazards new critters present after only one test. :-)

What we have found to work on skunk odor is this:

A home concoction developed by Paul Krebaum and published Chemical & Engineering News back in 1993:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid detergent

Mix in a large, open container and use immediately. It is best if you can apply to the dog and let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.

From: https://www.thespruce.com/gett...f-skunk-odor-2656337

Good Luck,

Kevin

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by klstclair:
Living on a ranch with dogs who get to learn about new things results in unexpected chemistry lessons... Usually in the middle of the night. Fortunately ours seem to learn about the hazards new critters present after only one test. :-)

What we have found to work on skunk odor is this:

A home concoction developed by Paul Krebaum and published Chemical & Engineering News back in 1993:

1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
1 teaspoon liquid detergent

Mix in a large, open container and use immediately. It is best if you can apply to the dog and let sit for 5 minutes before rinsing.

From: https://www.thespruce.com/gett...f-skunk-odor-2656337

Good Luck,

Kevin

+1

this works great my last dog got it three times + a porcupine my current pup only once so far

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I killed at least a half dozen in my younger years around the farm.

Had a perfect system. .22 to the head, trash bag, relocate away from the house.

Until I had the switch for my .22/.410 set for the .410 that had birdshot loaded one night and didn't realize it.

Very poor decision. I got sprayed, the gun got sprayed, and everything else around got sprayed. That was a mistake that only happened ONCE.

Nothing like up-close skunk musk. Makes you want to vomit.

Good luck.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Guess I'll add my 2 cents. Stationed at Pease AFB NH, the night before trash day we placed our plastic bags of trash at the curb. Since we had problems in the past with dogs helping themselves to the inside of the bags, I kept a handfull of good sized "throwing" rocks.

Just before bed, took a last look outside and -- yes -- a small dog was breaking in. From the door (about 50 feet) I launched about three rocks. The "dog" hauled ass and I (in ,my socks) decided it was a good idea to check the bags for any fallout.

Just as I arrived at the scene of the break in, the aroma got me -- "DAMN IT TO HELL I'm ankle deep in skunk spray".

No, wife was not amused.

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post