SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Grrr... Sears Craftsman Shop Vac Filter Woes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grrr... Sears Craftsman Shop Vac Filter Woes Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
The mighty 16 ga. Sears Craftsman Shop Vac needs a new filter. One that's in there is years old and has been "recycled" several times. Some day it's going to give up the ghost.

Local "Sears" store (I think it's really an affiliate type operation) had what they claimed were "universal" Craftsman replacement filters. Looked about right.

Only they weren't. Despite the fact the box clearly lists my vac's model number, there's no way it's working. Took 'em back. Lady insisted I was just doing it wrong.

Fine. Took the top in.

I was right. She was wrong. And Sears sucks for having wasted my time.

If Sears thinks for one minute I'm buying a new Craftsman Shop Vac because they made a minor change in design, thus obsoleting my otherwise perfectly operating Shop Vac, they have another think coming.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My Craftsman filter has a red stripe on it.

Just recycled it again yesterday. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the big monster Sears shop vac years ago. That thing would suck a box of 8 penny nails empty. It was so awesome. Still have the original filter and that impeeds the sucking somewhat. I take it out and sort of clean the crap off it every year or so. Not looking forward to having to get the replacement.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Get the inside dimensions and height and go to ebay for about half the price.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Next time do the research yourself and get the right part. Eek
I had a Sears Craftsman Vac for about 25 years or so before it died.
Got my money's worth for sure.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Next time do the research yourself and get the right part. Eek

Perhaps you missed the "Despite the fact the box clearly lists my vac's model number" part?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
another tip: slip a discarded nylon stocking over the filter, it acts as a sort of prefilter.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Home Depot--The Ridgid mod.looks like it will fit,I believe they are made by the same co.

Posts: 118 | Location: Roanoke,Va | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davar:
Try Home Depot--The Ridgid mod.looks like it will fit,I believe they are made by the same co.

Hmmm... Looks like you may be right. I'll have to stop over there and see.

I'd like to get a HEPA filter for the thing, for when I'm working on the man cave. Looks like they make one of those, too.

Thanks for the pointer!