SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    There goes another $6,000+. Remodeling sucks.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There goes another $6,000+. Remodeling sucks. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Ripping out last part of kitchen left, the sink. Guess what I found? Leaking toilet for many many years. Sub floor is ruined and sits under concrete board and tile. Great. Full bath remodel to follow complete new kitchen after buying a new car. Savings will be gone, plus add debt. Fuck.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
There will always be something that doubles the cost and quadruples the time involved.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Can you get under it, and reinforce it below without gutting out the bathroom?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m afraid of remodeling after seeing what others go through. Critical repairs only.

I have concerns about moving into forever home after retirement.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Wife: "But I saw it on HGTV and it looked so easy!"

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Can you get under it, and reinforce it below without gutting out the bathroom?

Probably, my fingers go through it and I don't feel like messing with the drywall below. I want to replace the subfloor to be sure. I noticed the corner in the bathroom is sagging in the same spot too. Also, I really hate the marble in my bathroom. Never put marble in your bathroom, everything, and I mean everything stains it. Got it on sale for like 99¢ sqft. Thought it would look classy and it was cheap. Complete fail. Will get replaced by ceramic with epoxy grout.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20757 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I will say, watching HGTV, they're always running into unexpected shit like this. I watched one of the house flipper shoes, and they had EXACTLY this problem (rotted sub floor and joists in a bathroom.)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's fine until you walk into your bathroom and you foot goes through the floor. Just because you don't know problem exists doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’m afraid of remodeling after seeing what others go through. Critical repairs only.

I have concerns about moving into forever home after retirement.

posted Hide Post
Go with porcelain instead of ceramic, denser material and does better in moisture prone areas.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I just had the fascia board and soffit replaced with pvc boards. While doing this, I discovered that the roof sheathing is rotted along all of the lower edges. I just replaced two sliding patio doors with Marvin Integrity doors as recommended on Sigforum. That was $5,000.00. All of our hardwood floors are trashed and will be replaced in October for $10,000.00. Oh, I forgot that I have to replace the gutters which will be another $1,300.00.

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sucks to have to spend money you didn't expect, but at least you found it and can save money towards fixing it, rather than sitting on the toilet one day and falling through the floor.

Homes cost money to maintain. But, that's part of owning anything. I just spent $13k on replacing cast iron drain plumbing underneath a 4 plex unexpectedly. Contractor went to pull the toilet to see why it wouldn't drain and drain completely full of tree roots. Imagine spending $13k on something you can't even see the benefit of. At least a bathroom or kitchen you enjoy the benefits from. But it's the cost of owning a property.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel for ya Skins. 15 years ago we remodeled out basement by gutting it first. We estimated about $5K for the entire job. As soon as the old drywall came down we had a bunch of "surprises". The remodel ended up costing $20K Frown We ended having to remodel the kitchen too.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Feelin' ya Jesse. As many here mentioned, we homeowners will always have the projects looming. I was talking about these exact things with my Sis yesterday, the projects of home ownership.

My water pipes broke under my foundation early this year and my estimate is at $6000 also. The plumber did a temp re-route which we have to manually use a shut off valve to take hot showers, we a budgeting to squeeze it in a few months. My current project is $2000 to replace a rotted french door to the back pool deck, it's completely rotted off the frame so thats immediate, then the plumbing Frown

Ah,the value of homeownership..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Skins,

Look on the bright side, if you weren't able to do this yourself, you'd be out $12,000... Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Fix the plumbing issue - probably a wax ring - and leave the bathroom for another day. You've survived this long without your toilet plunging into the crawl space when you sit on it, once you have the plumbing issue fixed and it all dries out (and it eventually will), then it will be good to go for years until you get around to remodeling your bathroom.

First thing to do when you discover issues - don't panic.

And by the way, removing your toilet, some tiles, cutting thru concrete board, and replacing a section of subfloor, and putting it all back together again is not a really hard job, nor should it take that long, nor cost that much.

Fix the plumbing, then live with it for awhile, then get it fixed.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I will say, watching HGTV, they're always running into unexpected shit like this. I watched one of the house flipper shoes, and they had EXACTLY this problem (rotted sub floor and joists in a bathroom.)

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

They never seem to know about load bearing walls or asbestos when they do the estimate.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I know how that goes, Skins. When I started out doing the man cave build in a small room in the corner of the basement of course the first order of business was to gut what was there. That revealed this behind the panelling on one wall:

There was another, of which we were aware, in the laundry room. That one wasn't a problem because it was under/behind the addition. This one was a problem because it had obviously been leaking. Cost to have them properly remediated by professionals: $8,000.

I try to look at the bright side of such things. You know, you just know, there are one or more broken things somewhere. It's just a question of when they will rear their ugly heads and how bad will be the damage. Every thing like this found is another thing that's no longer waiting to bite me when I least need it Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well I'm not going to fall through the floor any time soon. Still, I'm going to address it right away. I hate my floor. I hate my early model low GPF toilet. The shower door mirroring is starting to fail. The vanity was a $99 open box special. The light another cheap open box item. The tub has dated tile work and needs to be recaulked. I'll look at this as an excuse to update earlier than planned. PB&J's aren't that bad and I really like rice, plus who needs a vacation anyways?

At least unlike ensigmatic, jimmy, and just1tum, I'll actually get to look at and enjoy my repairs afterwards. Plus kitchens and baths are what sells houses right?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
surprises are never fun but in the end, it will be nice to have the damage repaired and the bathroom the way you want it.

if things get really bad let us know - someone can start a go fund me page to get Skins a PB&J. LOL

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Well I'm not going to fall through the floor any time soon. Still, I'm going to address it right away. I hate my floor. I hate my early model low GPF toilet. The shower door mirroring is starting to fail. The vanity was a $99 open box special. The light another cheap open box item. The tub has dated tile work and needs to be recaulked. I'll look at this as an excuse to update earlier than planned. PB&J's aren't that bad and I really like rice, plus who needs a vacation anyways?

At least unlike ensigmatic, jimmy, and just1tum, I'll actually get to look at and enjoy my repairs afterwards. Plus kitchens and baths are what sells houses right?

Big Grin Big Grin Just think, you could sit in your brand new bath tub, sit back and admire your new tile, while eating that PB+J sandwich and smile! Big Grin Big Grin Instead of staring at a new cleanout in your driveway and telling yourself, I threw $13k down that PVC pipe......LOLOLOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post