SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupid Banking Laws
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Banking Laws Login/Join 
posted
I recently bought a house, and sold another. This resulted in a surplus of cash, which I used for contractors improving the new house. Having dealt with contractors before, I used a major bank credit card to pay, because the bank stands behind the customer and helps resolve issues with contractors. (They compelled a contractor to refund 3k, but that's another tale.)

The large check for the house required a 30 day hold. I found this ridiculous, but the bank said all transactions of that size required a hold by banking regulation. Okay, I waited. After 30 days I put my entire contracting budget in another bank in a checking account with online services. I made two fairly large payments to the credit card with no problem. Yesterday, I tried to pay off the card, as all contracts have been satisfied. The bank site locked up on me. This morning, I trekked across town to see friendly banking lady. She tells me the bank won't allow a transaction over 9999.00 because the IRS requires all transactions over that limit be reported. WTF? I had to set up 3 different payments on 3 different dates just to pay my goddam credit card. There's NO PROBLEM running up a huge credit card bill, but you damn sure can't pay it without attracting Big Brother. What crap. Is it my money or not?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
the bank won't allow a transaction over 9999.00 because the IRS requires all transactions over that limit be reported. WTF? I had to set up 3 different payments on 3 different dates

So the bank wants to limit payments to them to less than 10K to avoid reporting requirements?

If I did that it would be called "structuring", which is illegal.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess it's to prevent money laundering, but it's a real pain in the ass. Fortunately, I'm not rich and I don't foresee this happening again in any foreseeable future.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
the bank won't allow a transaction over 9999.00 because the IRS requires all transactions over that limit be reported. WTF? I had to set up 3 different payments on 3 different dates

So the bank wants to limit payments to them to less than 10K to avoid reporting requirements?

I thought this only applied to cash transactions.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

His bank is claiming they must report it, and to avoid doing so, are making him split up his payments.

It doesn't really matter if it's reported or not as it's a legitimate transaction. It's not uncommon for me to withdraw or deposit money in excess of that limit, and although I'm sure it's been reported every time, I've never heard a word about it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

His bank is claiming they must report it, and to avoid doing so, are making him split up his payments.

It doesn't really matter if it's reported or not as it's a legitimate transaction. It's not uncommon for me to withdraw or deposit money in excess of that limit, and although I'm sure it's been reported every time, I've never heard a word about it.

I agree, though I thought the reporting was only required if it was a cash transaction.

If I buy a $30K with cash, the dealer (in this case) reports it. If I use a check or CC, no report. Same rules when a bank makes a transaction.

Regardless though, I'd wave the bright yellow BS flag and inform the bank that they work for me, not the other way around, and if they have to do reports when handling my transactions, so be it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
We sold a house some time ago (this year) and took a $140K check to our credit union and wanted to set up another trust account. Credit union told us that they were limited in how many trust accounts a customer might have and they could not open another one for us.

PO'd we walked directly across the parking lot (about 35 yards to another bank (not credit union) who gladly and cheerfully accepted the check and told us that they would open as many trust accounts as we wanted.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
quote:

I agree, though I thought the reporting was only required if it was a cash transaction.

If I buy a $30K with cash, the dealer (in this case) reports it. If I use a check or CC, no report. Same rules when a bank makes a transaction.

Regardless though, I'd wave the bright yellow BS flag and inform the bank that they work for me, not the other way around, and if they have to do reports when handling my transactions, so be it.
Any bank that does not have an automated Currency Transaction Reporting method is too far behind the curve to do business with for me.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The large check for the house required a 30 day hold.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Find another bank. There is no banking regulation that I know of that requires a 30 day hold. I would find out where all those wealthy horse farms do business. I am sure they write checks of that amount on a regular basis.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some outfits, banking and otherwise, have people at the latest various levels that confuse company policy with law and regulation. Sometimes this is innocent misattribution, other times it is done to try to save face or save a transaction when a policy is at issue.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Your bank is full of crap. Unless things have really changed since I retired, only cash in or out require a report. What happens if you buy a pickup?

Find a new bank tomorrow.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Your bank is full of crap. Unless things have really changed since I retired, only cash I or out require a report. What happens if you buy a pickup?

Find a new bank tomorrow.

Policies and procedures under the new BSA/AML have actually changed drastically since the new rules and interpretations went into effect last year. Having said that, the issue in OPs post is not part of that. Reg CC hasn't changed in regards to that. I have no clue how the bank got away with a 30 day hold unless it was a foreign draft but I'm 99.99% sure that wasn't the case for proceeds from a house sale. Plus those are usually by certified funds so it's real odd.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll talk to a horse farm manager Saturday, great idea. I'm sure you are correct. My thought was they're retaining the funding for as long as possible to generate income from it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

THIS. You can make transactions over $9999.00 from your checking account without issue, they need to report it. ALSO a 30 day hold on a check, that is absolutely ridiculous. I've never had a hold put on checks longer than a few days, and we're talking 5 or 6 figures. (Trust me, I'm not that wealthy, but my business moves a lot of money buying products for customers etc.) Anyways, I would say it's time to find another bank.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There are no banking regulations like that, to hold funds for 30 days. Fire those goons and find a real bank.

I had a loan servicing operation for many years which received and sent thousands of checks each month. Maybe the bank has to watch and file reports, but that was their worry not mine or my customers.

We ran over a billion dollars through those accounts without a hitch, probably because we used a small local bank instead of one of those greedy bank of everywhere outfits.

When I took up house building, the company was new and had no credit, even though we hadcash in the bank. I was building with our own funds, no lender. I paid for equipment rental and most materials on my personal credit cards and paid them off every week. The suppliers paid fees to process the card charges of course. I got air miles for all those charges, which got me two first class round trip tickets to Paris, among other things.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, JAllen is correct. In a former 20-year career, I was a senior officer for a multi-state public bank (top 25 in size nationally).

1. ANY hold on deposited funds is at bank discretion. There are no “laws” requiring holds. Any hold over ten (10) days is extremely unusual and typically from funds deposited in check/draft form from overseas banks that do not participate in Federal Reserve clearing house process (again, unusual).

2. Although not related, reporting of cash transactions over $10k is a requirement (with exceptions), but also note that a bank has discretion to file a report on cash transactions under $10k if management believes a potential illegal activity is involved. So $9,999 sized transactions do not necessarily avoid reporting.

3. Regulations for Credit Unions are not the same as Federally or State chartered banks. Among MANY financial products, Trust fund capability and management is vastly different.

Stay safe, Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same, but Chase really pissed me off recently.

I opened a Chase Amazon Prime credit card account to get the 5% on our Amazon purchases. About that same time I had to order a bunch of supplies for our pole barn and used it, running it up near its limit. I then wanted to use it for a work trip so I payed it off.

Surprise surprise when I next went to use it and it was declined. I opened my app and while it showed that my balance was zero so was my available credit??

I called them up and was told "oh, we see you paid, but we wait 5 days after payment to ensure it clears" mind you this was an electronic transfer I authorized them to initiate...

That card only gets used for Amazon purchases now.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, as CoinRoller states, financial organizations (banks, etc.) may initiate (Suspicious Activity Report) by any employee that deems any transaction as suspicious. (as told to me by someone in the world of banking)

And while it may require "management" involvement, I doubt many would stake their career on curtailing a report, and rather "kick the can down the road" and let someone "upstairs" make the call.

And then you might as well be facing a Supreme Court Confirmation hearing...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the CTR and SAR is part of the Frank Dodd act,

no idea what they were doing before, but when I was in the grocery business we had to file both for cash, money order, and western union transactions,

I stopped by a Wells Fargo last spring on my way to a gunshow,
wanted some cash for purchases,

took at 10K,

had to jump thru hoops, as in the old 1000 questions,

helped that I knew my account number and told them strictly that I was going to a trade show,

of course, ID etc were checked,

I could tell they did not want to go thru the hassle, and likely did not want to fill out the CTR,,

but fukkem, it is my business and my money!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The bank just took a 30 day free loan on your ass.

Plus, the crap about the $9999 is also complete BS. There is a reporting requirement, but taking steps to avoid it is, as A1 notes, illegal structuring. By way of example, the Mob had 250+ bank accounts open in Boston with a group of different banks for purposes of moving money around in under $10k increments. The computers identified them anyway, and busted them for structuring.

I'd raise hell with management (high level, like president and general counsel) and then find a new bank.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post