SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Coyotes
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes Login/Join 
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
We have at least two packs of yotes in our neighborhood, they howl at sunset and about 1:00 am. The individuals in one pack are big, 50-60 lbs, long legged with bushy tails, probably dog hybrids.

If I saw one in our yard I'd pop the sucker in a heartbeat. Good on the OP and his dog.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did 't weigh the two I dropped but I would be very surprised if they were 50 pounds. Mangy looking skinny vermin.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I had never been around wiener dogs before then I started dating a girl that had 2...I was very quickly impressed and amazed by their spirit and tenacity. When you look at them and see the size fo clams and teeth it is easy to see how they were useful in going after badgers.

Our Kung Fu cat is the only thing I've seen that can handle her. Cat will sit down and raise a paw up. Wiener dog will charge her and the cat will tear her up with one paw. Dog will back up, cat will switch paws. Rinse and repeat.

It takes a certain kind of badass for a dog to dig down into a hole and go face to face with a badger. Speaking of cats, my grandmother had a dachshund and his only nemesis was our tough old tomcat. One of the cat's favorite games was to wait on a piece of furniture for the weiner dog to walk past, spring down on its back, dig his claws a few times, then fly back up onto the couch. He'd curl back up and just sit and watch while the dog spun in frantic circles trying to find what just hit him.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eclayton:
One of the cat's favorite games was to wait on a piece of furniture for the weiner dog to walk past, spring down on its back, dig his claws a few times, then fly back up onto the couch. He'd curl back up and just sit and watch while the dog spun in frantic circles trying to find what just hit him.

I guess we know who was the brains of that bunch! Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I did 't weigh the two I dropped but I would be very surprised if they were 50 pounds. Mangy looking skinny vermin.

Coyotes here in AZ are generally quite small, around 30-40 pounds or so. Probably due to the desert environment.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

10 pounds of bad ass.

She's quarantined for the time being because the vet found a place on her side that might be a bite wound but unlikely. She was a bad ass yesterday but when our grandson came to see her, she saw him and rolled over on her back for a belly rub.

Good looking pup.

I'm more of a medium to large dog fan, but a gutsy pup like that could change my mind. Well done! Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
We have a couple of packs roaming around the small enclave where I live. They seem to roam aroud the perimeter of the property which borders all farm and pasture land howling like crazy.

When I took the dog out this morning at 5:00 for his morning nature call there was a small cotton tail in the yard just sitting there frozen like a statue. He didn't even budge when I tossed a rock his way that landed right next to him.

I took off in the oppsite direction with the dog and when we got back the bunny was gone.

When I came home from work this afternoon after picking the pup up from daycare, I found a ball of fur and some innards in the yard! Not much left!

I screwed the Silencerco Sparrow on the Ruger 22/45 tonite and will carry that instead of the pocket 9mm I usually carry.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Neighbors reporting seeing one roaming the woods behind part of the subdivision, we live on a golf course development and there are several conservation areas within the PUD as well as rural around, first time I've heard of a coyote being in the area, used to see red foxes a lot, but those have left, owls a plenty some eagles.

Guess I'll have to get the 22/45 or step it up to the 522 out

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
shoot. shovel. and shut up.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

10 pounds of bad ass.

She's quarantined for the time being because the vet found a place on her side that might be a bite wound but unlikely. She was a bad ass yesterday but when our grandson came to see her, she saw him and rolled over on her back for a belly rub.

Think I have read this thread at least ten times, now.

How is she doing ?

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I learned recently that a 12 gauge Federal Tru-Ball slug at about 40 yards will flat-out eviscerate a coyote. I have an aimpoint on my 1187.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend suggested I use a .22 rifle, because it doesn't make enough noise to wake the neighbors, and the coyote will most likely run off and die somewhere other than your property. As gruesome as it sounds, this may be necessary in some situations. I never considered doing it myself, though.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
When I took the dog out this morning at 5:00 for his morning nature call there was a small cotton tail in the yard just sitting there frozen like a statue. He didn't even budge when I tossed a rock his way that landed right next to him.

I have noticed that cottontails in general employ that technique, "if I don't move, you cannot see me".

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
they had the game warden guy on the radio today talking about yotes. He said the females bodies will respond to a lack of howling nearby (over time) by increasing the litter size - sometimes double the usual amount.

So - they respond to being killed off by producing more and more pups.

His other tip was this: If you have one (or two) that come around, but don't seem to be bothering your pets or livestock/chickens - you may be better off leaving those alive. If you kill those, the ones who move in later to fill the void you created may be more aggressive.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We adopted a wiener dog when I was a kid. The reason the farmer had to give him up was that he killed three of his prize peacocks. Peacocks aren't exactly small.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post