SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lazy painters...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lazy painters... Login/Join 
posted
I've been known to remove a toilet tank to paint the wall behind it. That's just my OCD and I wouldn't complain about others not doing it. But why oh why do people not bother to remove wall plates and ac grills, things that have one or two screws? And I cringe whenever I see paint on a thermostat, at least take the face plate off you numbskull!

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quick.... check your house and see if the tops of the door frames are painted.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
In the rooms I have painted they are Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
In the rooms I have painted they are Big Grin

Oh, hell yes!

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lazy painters...

I simplify it to "painters".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Probably about 30 years ago my sister offered to paint Mom's apartment. I am getting pissed now as I type. In one of Mom's rooms there was 2 stacks of records leaning on one of walls. My sister PAINTED AROUND them. I was floored to say the least. I am not clever enough to make this shit up.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because they probably had some paint on them before. I don’t just take the face plates off when I paint a room, I replace them with new ones, they discolor like anything else plastic and it makes a difference and they’re cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Years ago my parents were looking to buy a house. My wife and I were there visiting when they went with a Realtor looking for houses. We pulled up to a nice looking house in a good area, but before we went in The Realtor started to make excuses for the house. The seller's daughter was studying design in school and they let her experiment on their house. They had already moved out so the house was empty. First of all the rooms were painted with the worst colors I've ever seen, but the kicker was that they had not moved anything when they painted. Since the house was empty you could see where the couch had been, where the piano had been, where the bed and end tables had been, and so on throughout the whole house. The four of us were laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks. The Realtor said; "So I guess you don't want to make an offer on this one." Bingo!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replace them, too. About 29 cents apiece at Lowe's. They eventually crack anyway.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
The four of us were laughing so hard we had tears running down our cheeks. The Realtor said; "So I guess you don't want to make an offer on this one." Bingo!

I dunno... Interior paint is one of the easiest things to change when buying a new house, but also one of the things that's likely to turn off other potential buyers. That's actually a good thing, as it will limit the competing bids.

If you run into something like this, but like the house otherwise, it would be worth considering tossing in a low offer and seeing what happens. With the money you could save on the front end thanks to the hideous paint, you could have it professionally repainted several times over.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
My landlord took a week between his last tenant moving out and me moving in to "repaint" the house. Apparently, he got lazy and only touched up the paint where it was fading. In bright light, you can see lines of bright, newer paint covering one or two foot sections all around the house.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loathe painting anymore. I can never get it perfect. I have no patience for cutting edges. If I even "think" I can see the base coat still I will just keep putting coats on.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
I've been known to remove a toilet tank to paint the wall behind it. That's just my OCD and I wouldn't complain about others not doing it. But why oh why do people not bother to remove wall plates and ac grills, things that have one or two screws? And I cringe whenever I see paint on a thermostat, at least take the face plate off you numbskull!

Ding. You just nailed one of my biggest pet peeves. 2 or even 1 screw is too much? Geez!

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Nothing drives me more nuts than to see paint slopped on a switch or receptacle cover because no one apparently had a screwdriver and 10 whole seconds...

quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
First of all the rooms were painted with the worst colors I've ever seen

Funny story; my Dad had an uncle that was like a father to him since his dad had died when he was 12. He grew up at his aunt and uncle's house and noted that this uncle ALWAYS had the worst colors possible on the walls like ugly mustard yellow and barf green. He finds out years later that his uncle was completely and 100% COLOR BLIND and he was picking colors that he *thought* looked OK! Big Grin

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,
You are absolutely correct! I pointed that out to my folks, but they just didn't like the house.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

Posts: 1673 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We've had outside folks do some paint work in current and prior house. After learning this early on I have given up and just spend an evening and a couple beers stripping down all the covers and such. Easier than arguing, and way better than a shitty edge.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My landlord took a week between his last tenant moving out and me moving in to "repaint" the house. Apparently, he got lazy and only touched up the paint where it was fading. In bright light, you can see lines of bright, newer paint covering one or two foot sections all around the house.

There's a few spots like that in our house, most notably in the master Roll Eyes
Almost like a gloss painted over a satin.

They attempted to paint ceilings too, what was a light taupe/tan & attempted to paint white. Looked a bit like a cloudy sky where the white was a bit thin.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are closing on a house in Georgia next month and are having the interior repainted a different color prior to move in. I won't physically be in the same state when this happens so I have my fingers crossed that the company we are going with does a good job for the $3k we are paying them.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PossibleZombie:
We are closing on a house in Georgia next month and are having the interior repainted a different color prior to move in. I won't physically be in the same state when this happens so I have my fingers crossed that the company we are going with does a good job for the $3k we are paying them.

I bet you .1% of that the covers will be left on unless you ask.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
The trouble with painting is...people think it is just painting.

95.8% of “painting” is “not painting;” in other words, preparation-cleaning, chipping, removing, covering, cleaning again, moving furniture, taping, taping again...then choosing paint color...then returning paint for different color because the first didn’t look right...then, finally painting.

Then, the next room has to be painted because now it doesn’t look good next to the one just painted. Roll Eyes

I dread when the wife says “Let’s paint this room.”

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post