SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mother-In-Law was robbed - I'm calling it a home invasion.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mother-In-Law was robbed - I'm calling it a home invasion. Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
I'm just going to leave this here as a placeholder for now. Crime scene is rolling up the driveway.

ETA: She was working outside, away from the house and out of sight. Didn't know until she came back up the hill and went inside and saw everything tossed about. I'm calling it a home invasion because her car and the farm truck were both parked right there. The fucker(s) that did this had no idea she wasn't inside.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Dammit!
I assume she's OK!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Two work crews have been up at the house in the last few months. Crews from companies she hired on her own - without my input or assistance. From what I observed of both, I don't think either employer participates in eVerify, if you know what I mean. Plenty of time for plenty of people to observe that she lives alone up there.

Dammit!

I'm ordering her a SimpliSafe system tonight. Wouldn't have done any good since she wouldn't likely have set it since she was right there "at home" in the middle of broad daylight.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, Rob. In what general area does she live?

Posts: 3229 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Sorry to hear this, Rob. In what general area does she live?

Crownsville.

Waiting for Mrs.BurtonRW to get out of work so I can tell her what has happened.

[sigh]

A=A

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this!.

Mrs. Elk consistently leaves both doors unlocked. I lock them when I am home, not to mention my little friend that always accompanies me.

But, even tho we live in a generally peaceful area, we are surrounded by woods so anyone breaking in would likely have lots of time to explore.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My wife does the same thing, Elk. I'm overly protective and she's darn near clueless. I put security cameras up and she leaves the doors unlocked. It's a constant battle.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear, Rob.

At least it was all just "stuff" and nothing more important.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is one of my worst fears. I use to live out in the middle of nowhere & married at the time; I use to accidentlly lock my then husband out of the house all the time!!! Better safe than sorry. Hope they don't come back.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Thank God she's ok.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Glad she wasn't in the house.

Sorry it happened though.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
The only truly irreplaceable thing they took was her engagement ring, which she doesn't wear when she's working outside. It was just sitting on her dresser. Fortunately, they didn't find her (dec'd.) husband's wedding band, which would have killed her to lose.

A=A

...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
They check to see if people are home, with the number of cars people own burglars will try a house with cars in the driveway. I have seen videos of burglars knocking on a door continuously for a few minutes trying to see if someone is home, with one person not coming to the door and getting the door kicked in. The burglars fled as he hid in a closet to call 911. One of the team had a scanner and alerted his assholes to the dispatch.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We were having issues with the girls leaving the door unlocked, so I got one of the electronic (4 digit code) door handles that shows 0-9 and lights up if it's dark. Best money we've spent, easy to come and go without a key and nobody is coming in without breaking in first. Might be an added layer of help without the burden of a key all the time.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear.

That was one of my fears with my mother living by herself in San Francisco. She never heeded my warning that she's considered a "target."

Thankfully, no harm was done to my mother in all the time she lived there. And thankfully, no bodily harm was done to your MIL.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Two work crews have been up at the house in the last few months. Crews from companies she hired on her own - without my input or assistance. From what I observed of both, I don't think either employer participates in eVerify, if you know what I mean. Plenty of time for plenty of people to observe that she lives alone up there.

Dammit!

I'm ordering her a SimpliSafe system tonight. Wouldn't have done any good since she wouldn't likely have set it since she was right there "at home" in the middle of broad daylight.

-Rob

Some contractors can be outright scary.

This happened last month in a semi-rural area near me. In short, contractor brought his nephew to help. Nephew is a tweaker. Killed one lady, seriously injured the other:

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/...ck-on-elderly-women/

EVERETT — An Everett man apparently purchased a utility knife two days before he allegedly used it to launch a Feb. 19 surprise attack on two women in their Maltby-area home, according to court papers filed Friday.

John Dimitri Kuljis Jr., 31, is now charged in Snohomish County Superior Court with one count each of second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

Kuljis was working at the home where Janine Shaffer, 62, lived with her mother, Barbara Decker, 78.

He cut both women’s throats, ending Decker’s life, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Adam Cornell alleged.

“Unexpectedly, without provocation and with homicidal intent, defendant shattered the calm of Ms. Decker’s and Ms. Shaffer’s Sunday afternoon,” Cornell wrote in the charging papers.

Kuljis’ uncle had been hired to do some work on a bathroom floor. He brought along the defendant to help, Cornell said.

Shaffer later told police that Kuljis had the hood of his black jacket pulled up around his head, and “he just felt like a tweaker to me … like he’s high or something,” court papers said.

Her mother was at the kitchen sink, washing dishes. Shaffer was making lunch. She briefly left the room.

Prosecutors believe that’s when Kuljis attacked Decker, slashing her throat so deeply that the medical examiner “noted a cut to the victim’s vertebra,” documents said.

Shaffer was then attacked from behind. She told investigators she initially thought she was being choked, but then saw the blood.

She fought and yelled for help.

Kuljis’ uncle later told detectives he helped pulled the man off Shaffer, and then got him out of the home, explaining that he took that step in part because of the defendant’s “rage, you know, he’s got a knife in his hand.”

Shaffer used a towel to put pressure on her neck wound and called 911. She tried to help her mother but realized she was gone.

Kuljis’ uncle later told detectives that on the drive back to Everett his nephew “was trying to come up with a plan,” including a fictitious story about the violence being the work of somebody they’d picked up outside a home improvement store.

The defendant reportedly attempted to use solvent to clean the knife and tossed it along Highway 522.

A weapon matching that description later was recovered. So was a receipt documenting the defendant’s purchase of an identical knife two days before the attack, Cornell wrote.

The uncle also told investigators that Kuljis at one point attempted to cut his own pants, so he “could claim he acted in self-defense from an attack” by the women, the prosecutor said.

Kuljis was arrested not long after his uncle dropped him off at the Everett home he shares with his parents. The uncle privately warned his sister, Kuljis’ mom, that Kuljis had cut the throats of two women, according to the statement Kuljis’ mother gave to detectives.

Kuljis has no serious criminal history, though he has drug arrests, including one three days before the attack. He told investigators that he has been living with an opioid addiction and that he takes anti-psychotic medication as well as a prescription meant to treat chemical dependence.

He’s been jailed since his arrest, his bail set at $1.5 million.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Damn. I'm sorry that happened. That kind of incident can have long term emotional effects on people. I hope the turds get to experience the American penal system.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post