SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unnecessary Snow Days and Ensuing Hysteria
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unnecessary Snow Days and Ensuing Hysteria Login/Join 
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I think one consideration is that there's a lot more people that move around the country now.

Think how many Californians are feeling CA to everywhere else, and they've never really experienced snowfall at all.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I grew up near Denver in the 1960s. I don’t remember ever having a snow day. And there was no shortage of snow.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah. still living in rust belt, it is pretty much like that here now.

I think earlier poster hit it...lawsuits.

Plus the grocery thing here too. Wife went in just because it was time and they were not only wiped out, but seriously busy.

Heck, we get an inch now and none of it sticks and people drive like there is black ice on the road, when they are clear.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I think one consideration is that there's a lot more people that move around the country now.

Totally agree. We just built the day’s weather into our plans for the day (in the past). Snow days existed, but they truly were rare. I cannot believe how many snow days we’ve already had this year.

And how many people move to my hometown (a true northern town with well known below freezing weather, windchills, and plenty of snow) and then gripe or want everyone to change to accommodate them and how they’re accustomed to things being done.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
School rarely, if ever, is canceled due to winter up here in Alaska (at least in the Interior....can't speak to the good folks down in Los Anchorage though). Kids go outside for recess down to -15 before they make them stay inside. They'll sometimes do a "late start" during early winter if we get an ice storm though, but once the snow flies, barring an epic cold snap (-50 or more), school is in.

Compared to my home state of Texas, which cancels everything and shuts down in the event of the possibility of snow. In fairness though, they aren't equipped for it either.

Posts: 1718 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
47 degrees here in central Florida this morning, and I'm freezing my tuchas.

I might have to bundle up and make an emergency run to Publix before they run out of bread and milk, even though we use very little bread here, and no milk at all.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
We also need to remember that there are many more drivers on the road than in the past. I know school districts in my area have to listen to the advice of their group insurance provider when they tell them not to send out the bus when the weather is bad.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont come to WA if that bothers you. We just had "snowpocalypse" for an inch of initial snow. We got a few more a couple of days later but you'd be amazed how it shut everything down. Schools on 2 hour delay or closed with all the roads plowed. One day it didnt even snow and school was still closed because it snowed yesterday. Crazy. I grew up in NY and I remember feet of snow and it was just a 2 hour delay at best maybe a closure during an actual hard blizzard.

I think the difference here is infrastructure. The road crews dont do anything until it actually is snowing and they dont have enough plows and crews to run the plows. A few inches just cripples the area because people will literally abandon their cars in the middle of the road because they suddenly decide they might not make it. Them getting stuck is them flooring it instead of taking it slow. Their gas pedals might as well just be an on off switch. I've been passed by people doing atleast 70 and seen a few spin out or go into a ditch. Also no one seems to understand you need tread on your tires.

I could go on all day. Point is I'd rather live in a snowy area where people know how to drive than a normally warmer area that is paralyzed when the white stuff starts coming down. My biggest fear from all this is some dingus is going to tokyo drift into the side of my car trying to do 80 to escape an icy parking lot.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where in New England? I am in Vermont and New Hampshire a lot in winter and don't see this panic. CT I see has problems with snow, live there one winter.

The Hartford area. Most people I encounter here are delusional.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post