SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Unnecessary Snow Days and Ensuing Hysteria
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unnecessary Snow Days and Ensuing Hysteria Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
I grew up in an area that routinely got pounded by lake effect snow. Eight inches or more was quite common on any given day. School wasn't cancelled, and you were expected to be at work. Life went on as normal unless the snow total was truly magnificent. I now live in New England, a place that has the same infrastructure for dealing with snow. However, the populace is terrified by the stuff. We are supposed to get four inches of snow today, starting around noon and tapering off to rain this evening. School is preemptively cancelled for the next 2 days. Employees at my wife's office have used it as an excuse to "work from home". This as we all know basically means wear pajamas, watch shitty daytime TV, and do nothing. The powers that be wont allow any sort of reprimand for this asinine behavior due to the possibility of a lawsuit. This isn't the south, we have plows, salt, sand, cinders, and the supposed "yankee fortitude" to deal with 4 inches of wintery mix. Not to mention, every swingin' dick within 50 miles has the latest wiz-bang AWD or four wheel drive SUV.

I went to my local Shop-Rite last night to do my weekly grocery run. There was not a SINGLE loaf of bread left, and damn near no milk. As a transplant from the rust belt, I've never seen anything so ridiculous as a run on groceries with 4" of snow on the way. Ridiculous.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same here in PA, though I'm not a transplant. I was just talking about this exact same thing with my coworkers yesterday. Boggles the mind. We're all doomed, I just hope I'm not around to see it; I'll lose my voice telling everyone "I told you so". Wink

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Pretty bad in NJ now, especially north Jersey. I counted 13 accidents as I headed north to Sopranos country.

Lots of treacherous ice and sleet. I’m no stranger to bad weather living in PA, but it’s pretty bad around these parts.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a fellow snowbelt person, I agree. I have never gone out of my way to stock up. Sometimes I may put off a ride to the store or for something stupid (very rarely). A snow storm is just an expected winter event. I live 15 miles from Lake Superior, up in the higher elevations, so we usually get dumped on. We are expected to get anywhere from 12 to 16 inches from now till morning, never even thought about cancelling my Dr. appointment. I have never had a storm stop me from going where I want, hell, sometimes I just go for a ride for the hell of it...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The way you describe your youth it sounds like you might have been a former Michigander.

Unfortunately that fortitude related to snow days is no more for the schools here. They cancel school with just a forecast of snow now, same with cold weather. It's a bit ridiculous.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately that fortitude related to snow days is no more for the schools here. They cancel school with just a forecast of snow now, same with cold weather.

I wonder what the hell happened. Are people that terrified of weather now? I can understand chaos when it snows in the south, but in New England? WTF. It's like they are surprised when it snows.

Shelter in place! Shelter in place! We may get 4 whole inches!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I grew up in N. Idaho.

To my recollection, we never had a snow day.

The big problem today is that so few people actually know how to drive in snow. Or rain, either.

I had people passing me at 70MPH+ as I was going into town to workout this morning with heavy rain, standing water in dozens of places, etc.

We are supposed to get more snow tonight and tomorrow. Glad I don't have to drive out there. Good chance they would kill me and themselves.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not afraid of the stuff. I am afraid of asshole drivers that can't drive when its dry and sunny out. My employer does not pay may auto insurance. If some idiot hits me while I am trying to go to work, tough shit. I am not only out money, I am also out a vehicle for a bit of time. I have vacation days and I'll use them as I see fit. If that means staying safe at home and giving me a chance to clear my driveway and have some fun with my kids, so be it.

Posts: 3663 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hell, we don’t even qualify for snow in Northern California but people still go insane if it’s not sunny and mild weather. A little drizzle and people are breaking out full rain gear, complete with rain boots. Meanwhile, I’m working in shorts and a polo shirt.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Unfortunately that fortitude related to snow days is no more for the schools here. They cancel school with just a forecast of snow now, same with cold weather.

I wonder what the hell happened. Are people that terrified of weather now? I can understand chaos when it snows in the south, but in New England? WTF. It's like they are surprised when it snows.

Lawyers and suit-happy people. If little Johnny slips and falls on the school grounds, the parents are sure as hell going to try to sue themselves rich.

I know people make fun of "walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways" stories, but here's the God's Honest Truth:

I walked to school 1/2 mile each way (one room country school house). Weather was just whatever it was. Don't ever recall getting driven, tho it could have happened, that was a LONG time ago. 63 years to be exact.

When the 1 roomer closed due to lack of students, we were bused to town. Starting in 1959, Central Michigan. Due to a fairly scattered farm-country population density, the bus ride was long and circuitous. It was a routine thing for the boys to all sit as far back as possible to put weight over the rear wheels of the bus. The driver then commenced to drive through stuff that would terrorize your average snowflake today. And when we DID get stuck, all the boys bailed out with scoop shovels and dug us out. Couple of times, one of us slogged to the nearest farmhouse and asked the guy to bring his tractor and pull us out.

Imagine that happening today.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Where in New England? I am in Vermont and New Hampshire a lot in winter and don't see this panic. CT I see has problems with snow, live there one winter.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I live a ways east of Hvyhauler. The influx of non Yoopers make driving in MQT a bit interesting. Otherwise, meh.
My landlord was just here with his end loader and I am mobile. About 8 inches fell this afternoon.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will all work out unless we have to fight a war in the Winter time. We are becoming a nation of front holes.

Kids have to be armored up to play any sports and schools have outlawed dodge ball and swing sets.

Posts: 12576 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
We are becoming a nation of front holes.

Timely. Pithy. Accurate.

I'ma borrow that if you don't mind.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Lawyers and suit-happy people. If little Johnny slips and falls on the school grounds, the parents are sure as hell going to try to sue themselves rich.

Exactly.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy in Philadelphia. He sends me texts showing what appears to be near riots at the food stores for bread and milk. I guess everyone there shops for only enough food for one day or one meal?

I always joke with him about snowmagedon and needing an AR to shop during the hysteria.

Here in Central Montana not many snow days. But we have started to cancel events if the windchill is at dangerous levels. This past week I believe we had three state deaths due to exposure. Two I know of locally. So exposure/frostbite is a real threat.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Unfortunately that fortitude related to snow days is no more for the schools here. They cancel school with just a forecast of snow now, same with cold weather. It's a bit ridiculous.

Same here in the Chicago area. I can recall as a kid people took perverse delight in toughing out the weather.

This year, over Thanksgiving weekend, they cancelled hundreds of flights at O’Hare in anticipation of an approaching storm.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in New England, no, snow is not at all handled like I remember. Everyone seems to lose their damn minds, and schools close for nothing.

Only morons buy shovels and salt when it starts to snow. You buy that at the start of the season, dummies.

The people who have 4wd and don't know how to use it, are a problem. The people who don't, and don't know how to drive in snow, are another problem.

I wish the winter made these tools move away as sure as it kills a variety of insects and wildlife.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I grew up in an area that routinely got pounded by lake effect snow. Eight inches or more was quite common on any given day. School wasn't cancelled, and you were expected to be at work. Life went on as normal unless the snow total was truly magnificent. I now live in New England, a place that has the same infrastructure for dealing with snow. However, the populace is terrified by the stuff. We are supposed to get four inches of snow today, starting around noon and tapering off to rain this evening. School is preemptively cancelled for the next 2 days. Employees at my wife's office have used it as an excuse to "work from home". This as we all know basically means wear pajamas, watch shitty daytime TV, and do nothing. The powers that be wont allow any sort of reprimand for this asinine behavior due to the possibility of a lawsuit. This isn't the south, we have plows, salt, sand, cinders, and the supposed "yankee fortitude" to deal with 4 inches of wintery mix. Not to mention, every swingin' dick within 50 miles has the latest wiz-bang AWD or four wheel drive SUV.

I went to my local Shop-Rite last night to do my weekly grocery run. There was not a SINGLE loaf of bread left, and damn near no milk. As a transplant from the rust belt, I've never seen anything so ridiculous as a run on groceries with 4" of snow on the way. Ridiculous.

Are you in the broadcast range of Bob Maxon? This fucking idiot encourages everyone to react to winter weather just as you describe. Drives me nuts!

Posts: 219 | Registered: June 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I think schools are overcautious nowadays with snow because they fear being sued because Little Johnny got stuck on a bus somewhere.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post