SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted
So I thought this toilet paper hoarding thing was some kind of joke. Purposely went out today just to see if it was true. Visited Krogers, Safeway, Walmart, Bashas. Yep, the toilet paper aisles were all wiped out. You would think that this corona virus would have people hoarding over the counter cold and flu medicines but Nooo!!!! IT'S TOILET PAPER!!!! WTF!!!! YOU ALL THINK YOU ARE GOING TO SHIT YOURSELVES TO DEATH IF YOU GET THE CORONA CRUD???

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just getting a jump on things in case Bernie wins.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
Just getting a jump on things in case Bernie wins.

Ahem...

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Why did you think it was some kind of joke? A bunch of people here, including me, have reported places being out of toilet paper.

But yeah, a lot of Americans need to change their name to Nancy.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I just delivered two huge cases of toilet paper to a house. I never even put two and two together until seeing this thread.

Another guy on my route is working from home "because Coronavirus." Roll Eyes

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I bet most is made in the USA too. The wife was out today, said it was thin, but not totally picked clean.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Been in four different grocery store, three different chains, 6 of the last 7 days, the TP shelves were stocked as well as ever.

But fear breeds fear. "I know it's silly, but what if these idiots buy up all the paper for no reason? I better gets some!"

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps when people hear Shiit was hitting the fan, they figured they needed extra toilet paper to catch it!!!!

The funny thing is, Charmins stock (hoberg paper co.) is following the market just like every other stock. From the reports, you'd think it would be at a 52 week high.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Why did you think it was some kind of joke? A bunch of people here, including me, have reported places being out of toilet paper.

Damn dude, why you harshing my rant!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
There really is no shortage of toilet paper, when you realize it's a Made in America product, the mills that make it from the raw material are running normally, if not overtime, the guys supplying the mills are all working normal, if not overtime, the trucks that haul it to the store are all running at normal capacity, if not overtime.

The only "shortage" is people buying way more than they need creating this.

Crazy, huh?

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Well, I went to walmart today and the only thing they were short of was hand sanitizer. Everything else looked normal.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No TP or bleach here for days now, yet there is all the bottled water and canned goods you could want. As a regular hurricane prepper in South Texas when I see a run on TP and bleach, but everything else in abundance you gotta wonder WTF people are preparing for. If you’re going to shelter in place for a while, you’ll get pretty jacked up eating TP and drinking bleach.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Good grief

I doubt many people are hoarding or stockpiling TP. Probably all that's happened is a number of people did what my wife and I did: When the current package gets to about the half-way point we buy another. This time, because of the remote possibility we could see travel restrictions and supply chain disruptions like they did in China, we bought two packs instead of one.

Enough people do that, the stores' normal stock and resupply schedules are off, and they run out.

We also bought some non-perishable food items that didn't yet really need restocking. (Rice, beans, lentils, flour, canned goods, etc.) Excuse us for planning ahead--just in case.

I wonder how many of y'all disparaging people like us for some mild prepping have fifteen bazillion rounds of ammo stockpiled? Y'know, just in case the government suspends the 2nd Amendment or closes down all the ammo factories or something? More than a few, I suspect.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Damn dude, why you harshing my rant!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I hear ya. The more I think about this panic the more I believe there is no fucking way we could fight and win a war like WWII again. There’s no stomach for it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Good grief

I doubt many people are hoarding or stockpiling TP.

There are numerous reports from all over the U.S. of people lining up and buying out stocks of basic necessities, and for some reason TP seems to be high on the list. There are pictures online making the rounds of shoppers leaving with nothing but hand sanitizer, masks, and TP. A local radio host has long joked about her long habit of stockpiling huge amounts of TP for emergencies, and the only reason she isn't buying any now is because she already has a huge supply.

A couple hours ago I stopped by the local grocery store to pick up a few basic items that they had on sale. While I was pushing my cart around the store I encountered a young attractive girl, I'd guess maybe late teens to early 20s, she was a tiny thing, but rather than using a shopping cart her arms were stretched wide open with the one item she obviously came for, one large case and at least two smaller packs of TP...I'd estimate the tiny thing had at least 20-24 rolls and it was everything she could do to keep the various packages from slipping out of her grasp before she made it to the self check-out. I briefly smiled, more so at her predicament and what I perceived as her panic buying, and she briefly returned my smile while rushing by. There was one sales special on Charmin Mega Roll TP, so I suppose the girl might have made a special trip just for this...but the fact that she wasn't using a shopping cart for so many items and was rushing out suggested to me that she was in a panic and didn't want to touch the carts, spend time around other people in public, and was in a hurry to get out of there.

I have no problem with those who buy in bulk and plan their purchases based on sale prices with plans to stockpile their purchases...nothing wrong with saving a buck...but there is no doubt that there is actual panic buying going on now.

The Governor here just declared a state of emergency today due to the Corona Virus, which probably doesn't help those who are already prone to panic.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was nt worried about this virus thing until this last Sunday morning when I opened the paper:

Now I'm seriously worried.....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
But really, what’s the reasoning here? Why TP?
Like others I get the sanitizer, and the canned goods, but why such a fear of the dirty bum?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a small business, many of my customers are Ace Hardware stores.

I was in a bunch of stores day before yesterday, re-supplying them. The stores had a limit on the number of packages of masks that a customer could buy.

One enterprising shopper had her kid with her, the kid was maybe eight or ten years old. The mother bought the maximum supply and gave the kid some money and sent the kid to a different register to buy another maximum batch of masks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:

But really, what’s the reasoning here? Why TP?
Like others I get the sanitizer, and the canned goods, but why such a fear of the dirty bum?
Anticipating diarrhea if they get the illness?

1977 & 1978 I was living / working in Barcelona. One day, I was in a supermarket and I noticed people loading up on TP. I asked a shopper what was going on. The reply was "hay huelga" -- there is a strike. The TP factories were not producing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post