SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Stopped in at my local mom-and-pop hardware store tonight to pick up some wood putty and sandpaper. In the 10 minutes I was in the store, 4 people asked the proprietor if they sold toilet paper. One lady bought half of the store's supply of mini Purell bottles they had by the register.

Panic buying TP and sanitizer at the hardware store. Yeesh.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
At our local grocery store shelves were getting bare. No tp, paper towels, water, bleach, sanitizer, milk, cleaning supplies. Almost out of coffee, can goods and pasta. Tonight 40 minutes in check out line.

Local media was recommending that everyone should stock up on the basics , food and medicine.

Posts: 1553 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the way back from Florida I stopped in here in Manning SC. Last night I was in Walmart walking around to see how tired I actually was.

The aisles were bare and it was ridiculous.

I cannot believe this.
I can kind of see paper towels, bleach, cleaning supplies but toilet paper.

Please...

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
TP is like a Twinkie in Zombieland

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Went to WalMart to pick up blood sugar test strips. Wife and daughter went to pick up items in the grocery section. Lots of people in the aisles. Not a shopping cart to be had. No TP, paper towels, napkins, or tissue. Canned goods plucked clean. No beans, rice or other grains. Meats and fruits and vegetables seemed well stocked. My college age daughter was amazed. She told me she could see the anxiousness in people. People were tense. I told her it wouldn't take much to get the herd to stampede. I also told her that if the supply chain gets disrupted it could get interesting.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Local Home Depot has paper towels and TP everywhere. In their normal places, end caps, up near registers...and varieties too.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9686 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Kroger near me @ 7:30am today:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have 3 bathrooms and my wife insists on cheap TP. We buy 10 packs. Right before this came out we bought 3 10 packs, one for each bathroom. I'm glad we did, none to be had locally. If this keeps up I'm going to order a bidet attachment from Amazon. Wash 'n' go, or is it go 'n' wash? Both, I guess.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before leaving Manning and heading back to NC, I ran over to the Walmart about 0630 this morning.

The overnight stockers filled up a few racks of TP along with water.

Since I knew we were about out I grabbed a big pack of TP and a few rolls of paper towels.

Plus I am not sure how people get around Durham during these so called crisis. I know people around Richmond go crazy.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.

I don't understand this logic. Why wouldn't a cashier simply wear throwaway surgical gloves, like sub shops use.....they're cheap.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Earlier this week I ordered some office supplies from Staples and noticed they showed tp and rubbing alcohol in stock. Ordered enough for us to get through the next month or so.
Shipment came in today and I am now the richest man in the post apocalyptic wasteland! hahaha!

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The nearest WalMart and Krogers were both out of TP, and Peach Crown Royal.

The local Dollar General had TP, including name brand stuff, but a sign saying that they were out of hand sanitizer.

This is insane. It would make sense if it was cholera or dysentery or some other GI crud.

I'm a cop, and without my skell gel I'm fucked. I go through stuff like crazy during "normal" times.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Alabaster, AL Costco had a line at the door this morning where they were holding people before letting them in it was so full. Here in MS pretty much the same. Hopefully word will get out that all the TP is gone so I can go stockpile briskets, steaks, bourbon and beer!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12413 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Went to the store last night to pick up some stuff, there is a guy with a case of Toilet paper in the cart and wanting another one, so waiting on them to put it out. I asked him why he was getting so much, his answer was we are out at home.

Even if you have the atomic shits, and use a roll a day that 72 pack you have will last a couple of months.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6486 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Wife went to the store to pick up a few things today. She said the TP was cleaned out. Good thing she keeps us stocked on stuff like that. If we don’t get zombies from this then I give up.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They have gone goddammed nutz here in Woodstock.

I went by the store at 5:00 this morning to try to get some toilet paper because we actually only buy a 12 pack once a month and the parking lot was FULL!

I come back home and there is a goddammed rush of gas!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34114 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
If you want to know where all the toilet paper went, check eBay. Plenty of supply for those willing to pay through the nose. I hope every price gouger gets Ebola and COVID-19.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting. The threat of hurricanes produces a run on batteries, bottled water, cigarettes and booze.

Hoarding behavior is often a response to control anxiety. It is not rational behavior.

Posts: 17230 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
People are already selling little bottles of hand sanitizer on craigslist...@ $5 to $80! Eek

I just saw a craigslist ad for one roll of CHARMIN for $25 or .25 cents a sheet. That one has to be sarcastic. Roll Eyes

Our one northern AZ COSTCO manager said he stocked 144 pallets of toilet paper this morning. It was all gone within 10 minutes of opening. No paper towels, either. People would buy carts full, pack it into their cars and go back to buy more. The check out lines went almost 1/2 the way to the back of the store. Roll Eyes

They have the entire back area of the store filled with enough water to fill a lake.

What's really frightening is the paper plates are also gone. Maybe people using a scoop instead of a sheet? Big Grin

So, the President declared a national emergency. Let's hope he releases some of the toilet paper reserves soon.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post