SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Something I read following shortages of various products due to one of our recent hurricanes was an opinion piece criticizing policies designed to prevent price gouging. The author pointed out that price caps imposed by the government or individual companies actually made shortages more likely due to several factors.

First is that when people know prices will rise as a result of something like a hurricane, they are more likely to keep that in mind next time and prepare in advance rather than waiting until the last moment when many others are lining up to find and buy. Being gouged a few times will serve as a spur—to some people at least—to not let it happen again.

Second, if they do wait, higher prices will discourage people from buying more than they believe is reasonably necessary. If TP is going for $5 a roll, they’re unlikely to load up a shopping cart with a six month supply. That means the supplies that are available will last longer.

And then there is the effect on the vendors. If a seller knows he can get more than the normal price for something, he’s more likely to anticipate the spike in demand and be willing to spend the money and effort necessary to lay in a larger than normal supply. Or the vendor may decide to keep prices at the normal level as a gesture that will be appreciated by the public. Even if that doesn’t help limit shortages, it allows the free market to operate without unnecessary governmental interference.

Great points. I’ve never understood the sentiment of punishing so-called price gougers. Whenever I’ve expressed this, I seem to get flamed.

Consider the hurricane in Houston. I live in Utah, with a semi truck. I could have bought up our surplus generators (at retail), and probably could have gotten a hundred on the truck. Then two days to drive them there, $1000 in fuel, another $1000 in overhead. Probably days to get them sold. Going home would be empty, so tack on another $2,000 in transportation cost. Add in the opportunity cost of suspending my normal operations, the risk involved, and suddenly doubling the cost of the generators is just doing ok, certainly not making a killing.

Many say that it is a crime to do this. I saw politicians saying you would be arrested. Therefore, I just pass on the whole idea, and the supply of generators in the disaster zone remained constrained. There’s no incentive for anybody to add to the supply if prices are fixed to pre-disaster levels because supplier costs are way higher during the emergency. It’s not like I could go buy them at wholesale and wait on normal shipping. So shortages remain more acute than they need be because I’m not willing to incur the risk.

This doesn’t include people who purposefully hoard the local supply with the intention of gouging their neighbors. That’s a different matter entirely, because these types are acting as an artificial middle man.

Some people just don't get it. Share this video with those that don't.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/_2STbdWkgyg

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video.

The leadership, legislatures, people in general, etc., are trying to do a right thing without understanding what they’re interfering with and that spills over then into bad law. I admit that before I read the opinion piece I mentioned I hadn’t thought about any of that myself and therefore would have probably gone along with the unthinking sheep in believing that raising prices when demand was high was bad. What’s ironic is that many people who otherwise object to governmental interference in the economy think that suddenly such rules become a good idea in a disaster.

Another thing I noticed in the video was that when the one official was pushed into a corner he had to resort to the “It’s the law” defense of his position. That is something that’s really grinding my gears more and more, especially after our local commissioners fell back to it in deciding not to endorse the “red flag” sanctuary measure for our county.

“I can’t refute your argument, but I don’t have any choice.” Well yes, you do. Selective enforcement happens all the time from the street cop to judges and juries making the final decision. And refusing to enforce a bad law is the first step in getting it repealed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I saw a guy trying to sell one of those big rolls you see at commercial facilities like malls and workplaces, on Facebook Marketplace last night for $40 Roll Eyes

I bet you he stole it. Asshole.

I will wipe my ass with cut up old clothing (have plenty of that) before I pay anyone crazy prices for some TP.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
The food supply will dry up at the same time....problem solved.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I saw a guy trying to sell one of those big rolls you see at commercial facilities like malls and workplaces ....

Not that your assumption isn’t likely true, but those large rolls are also being bought by individuals who are fed up with their children and/or spouses who won’t change the roll when it’s finished. The Wall Street Journal had a whole article on it some weeks ago.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's insane at my grocery store right now.

The lines are at least 2 hours long.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
<Sarcasm>
I'm gonna put these on FB Marketplace.
I'm gonna be Oprah Rich!
</Sarcasm>

I actually bought these this past fall for our Cub Scout camp-out.
I usually feel like a sucker for storing all this crap.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
<Sarcasm>
I'm gonna put these on FB Marketplace.
I'm gonna be Oprah Rich!
</Sarcasm>

I actually bought these this past fall for our Cub Scout camp-out.
I usually feel like a sucker for storing all this crap.

I'll see your purel and raise you 5 cases of these I have in my warehouse. Big Grin

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife stopped into a Meijer, yesterday, to top a couple things off. As she was exiting, there was a woman with a shopping cart piled so high with TP she lost a couple packages as she was rolling along.

Apparently so focused on getting out of Dodge with her fortune of TP she didn't even notice it. Her daughter and my wife picked them up and put them back on the stack.

Idiots.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Some app guru needs to come up with a “CharminBuddy” or “TPBuddy” app similar to GasBuddy.

Dude would make a load of cash.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So glad we went to monthly bulk ordering about 5 years ago. Case every other month, build up a stock, let it dwindle down / get used up when the parents stay a couple weeks, build it back up.

Pretty much have 3 months of everything here, all the time.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’ve got enough to last me about two months, all the time. But with fights breaking out over toilet paper, even Mr. Whipple would be disappointed.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Shit, camping out in the Costo with a couple video cameras, making a Youtube video of the stupidity is probably the easiest way to make money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Went to Walmart for a few things today, had to peek at the T.P. isle. The isle was bare, even with the ‘3 pack limit’ per shopper.

I see the Kleenex was well stocked, should one need alternatives.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
So glad we went to monthly bulk ordering about 5 years ago. Case every other month, build up a stock, let it dwindle down / get used up when the parents stay a couple weeks, build it back up.

Pretty much have 3 months of everything here, all the time.

I'm the same way, except buy it at Costco myself. Must be the in the marine industry, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it mentality! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It's insane at my grocery store right now.

The lines are at least 2 hours long.

Like someone in another thread I’ve gotten street cred for our Sam’s run last week followed by sending her with a monster list to store yesterday.

We are fine for a month+ unless we have to start shooting people. Then call it three.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post