Toilet paper hoarding

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3490004764

March 11, 2020, 07:44 AM
kkina
Toilet paper hoarding
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
But really, what’s the reasoning here? Why TP?
Like others I get the sanitizer, and the canned goods, but why such a fear of the dirty bum?

It's a stock item you would need if you were 100% sequestered (no public contact at all, no going to the store to get more). I sort of understand the logic, but not the reason for such panic.

No, I'm not stockpiling TP or anything else for that matter. Why? Because I already have it stockpiled as part of my usual emergency supplies.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."
March 11, 2020, 07:46 AM
sigcrazy7
You’d think there wouldn’t be room in American’s basements for a TP hoard, with the basements being full of 22lr.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus
March 11, 2020, 08:11 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Enough people do that, the stores' normal stock and resupply schedules are off, and they run out.

And “enough” people really isn’t very many. I was looking at 70% isopropyl alcohol in my local supermarket a while ago (before any so-called “panicking”) and as I recall there were about eight to ten bottles on the shelf, and that was the normal supply. How many people out of the 7000 or so who live in my county and patronize that store have to decide “I’d better get an extra bottle” does it take to deplete the stock?

I use 70% as aftershave, and although I have an almost-full bottle on the shelf would I buy another or two if the opportunity presented itself? Dam’ right I would. I don’t know how long the supply will be disrupted and if past ammunition shortages have taught me anything, it’s that if we anticipate a shortage will occur, we’re probably right.

I keep seeing clueless posts here that demonstrate some people have no understanding of the simple fact that the effects of epidemics are far greater than how the disease itself affects the individual sufferer. That has been true as long as there were people with brains advanced enough to recognize that an epidemic was occurring, and it will continue as long as epidemics occur. Believing that we can somehow change the fact that people will always exhibit herd behavior in reaction to certain stimuluses by ranting on the Internet is like believing that we can stop tornadoes by refusing to build tornado shelters.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
March 11, 2020, 08:43 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Another guy on my route is working from home "because Coronavirus." Roll Eyes

How does he deliver mail from home? Eek

When in doubt, mumble
March 11, 2020, 08:47 AM
braillediver
They had a shortage in Hawaii. I'd bet there's no domestic TP production on the Islands and it's imported by ship.

That made the fake news headlines. The herd heard this and followed suit.

TP's nothing I'd bet this is a scammer, con-artist dream come true with fake remedies and all.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.
March 11, 2020, 09:15 AM
Prefontaine
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Damn dude, why you harshing my rant!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I hear ya. The more I think about this panic the more I believe there is no fucking way we could fight and win a war like WWII again. There’s no stomach for it.

Totally agree. Our society now is addicted to convenience and any semblance of a break from that induces panic and fear. People need to harden the fuck up. If I can’t get TP I’ll use the shower as a bidet and deal with it. If there is a run on food I can deal with losing a few pounds. All the stores need to just impose limits on certain items and it will curtail or mitigate this behavior. It’s getting silly.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone
March 11, 2020, 09:45 AM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
If I can’t get TP I’ll use the shower as a bidet and deal with it.

Ah, now see, that brings up another aspect to see this panic buying. The radio host I mentioned in my previous post, while talking about the panic buying of TP and the reported shortages in many stores, one of the women that does the on-air news started to extol the virtues of the bidet and how wonderful they were and how Europeans were ahead of Americans in their acceptance of their use, and that prompted a discussion of how it would be helpful to have one in times of a TP shortage.

Apparently there are inexpensive bidet attachments now available for regular flush toilets, some even with massage features. Supposedly, many of these are easily installed by home owners.

The talk show host has announced that later, on this afternoon's show, she has arranged to interview the owner of a store who both sells and installs home bidets...so this TP panic buying and shortage may just prompt a new trend in American bathroom habits.
March 11, 2020, 09:47 AM
229DAK
No bidet...got a Waterpik? Big Grin

Maybe there will be a run on corncobs next.

March 11, 2020, 09:52 AM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:

Binford 5000 pressure washer? Garden hose? Super Soaker with 180° muzzle attachment?

I suppose in a pinch, one could stand astride on the hood of their car or truck and have an acquaintance press the windshield wiper squirt button. Hell, if this TP crunch goes on long enough, you're individual hygiene may come down to a bottle of Windex. Big Grin
March 11, 2020, 09:57 AM
PowerSurge
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
Binford 5000 pressure washer? Garden hose? Super Soaker with 180° muzzle attachment?

I suppose in a pinch, one could stand astride on the hood of their car or truck and have an acquaintance press the windshield wiper squirt button. Big Grin

Or if you have an SUV stand on the roof and hang your ass off the back and use that one.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
March 11, 2020, 11:13 AM
PASig
It seems to have started in Australia and the panic spread by the news and social media.

The problem is, even in Australia, they make most of it there and not in China which seems to be the reason people are freaking out:

Australians Are Stocking Up On Toilet Paper Under The Misconception That Most Of It Comes From China --- In fact, 60 percent of toilet paper available in Australia is produced locally.

I believe the vast majority of US toilet paper is domestically produced. Scott tissue is made right here in Pennsylvania, in Chester, PA near Philly!

These things become a self-fulfilling prophecy with people saying "I hear TP is going to be running out and hard to get, so let me run out and buy up several months worth!" and they CREATE the very issue. Roll Eyes

March 11, 2020, 11:37 AM
az4783054
when the TP is gone there's socks...
March 11, 2020, 11:42 AM
rburg
Then the opposite takes place. Every one, or even just enough, have a basement or closet full. The 'bola or sars or whatever passes, and they used up their retirement, kids tuition or whatever buying it. So now they may as well use it as toss it out. So they don't buy any for the next 2 years or so. It all seems to make sense them. But the poor shop owner or manufacturer doesn't sell any for that period of time. He lays off his workers because there is no work. Then the hoarder can't get any when he wants or needs it. They have the 8 bottles on the shelf that should cover the predictable needs. And they're out of stock right away.

Back to the bidet with the "massage" feature... You think the wife spends a bunch of time in the toilet now, just wait until she discovers the joys of the massage. I think its made by Symbian manufacturing. So go check it and see if its set to "turbo". Smile

See, there's even fun in the new pandemic. But not for those at altitude. That sucker squirts ice crystals. Its cold at 10,000 feet.

Unhappy ammo seeker
March 11, 2020, 11:45 AM
PowerSurge
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
when the TP is gone there's socks...

Hahaha. Smile

And also doggie style: Drag your ass across the yard.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
March 11, 2020, 11:55 AM
jhe888
quote:

Lots of leaves in my backyard.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 11, 2020, 12:17 PM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Lots of leaves in my backyard.

Just make sure you correctly ID said leaves before use...I know a young boy that, once, when caught outdoors unprepared, elected to use some leaves and I, ahem, he, ended up with a case of poison oak on his toucas for a few days. Wink

He only made that mistake once.
March 11, 2020, 12:37 PM
blueye
Please check my ad in the classifieds:

1 Ply 10.00
2 Ply 20.00
That is per roll.

We can do FTF but if you are out of TP, I will not shake your hand. Big Grin
March 11, 2020, 12:42 PM
Ronin101
I thought maybe there was a shortage because it wasnt being sent from china (ie factory being shut down. I had no idea it was made in the USA.

If I was qaurintined I would want enough food first and then TP! Smile
March 11, 2020, 12:55 PM
az4783054
if there's no food available, you're probably not going to need toilet paper anyway.
March 11, 2020, 01:16 PM
HRK
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
Please check my ad in the classifieds:

1 Ply 10.00
2 Ply 20.00
That is per roll.

We can do FTF but if you are out of TP, I will not shake your hand. Big Grin

Better insist on a Venmo payment transfer, do you really want to touch paper money from someone out of TP....