SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Toilet paper hoarding
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toilet paper hoarding Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
What are all of those shuttered cruise ships, hotels, and resorts doing with their TP?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
ask Capt'n Walter - I bet he knows.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
What are all of those shuttered cruise ships, hotels, and resorts doing with their TP?

so the thing about them water slides - they're multi-functional. Eek

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

Jimmy and the boat's captain, Jonas, are prepping for a three hour tour from their little, tropical port.

Jimmy's out looking for TP for the two of them and five passengers (one of whom is rich, VERY RICH!)

Ole Jonas is out checking the weather to see if it's all right (my guess is he's really getting his drunk on and not checking to see if the weather will be getting rough).

But hey, Jimmy is a mighty sailing man and Jonas, well, when he sobers up an hour into the three hour tour, he'll be brave and sure...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14037 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I actual do know a bit about the recreational airplane industry. Almost all of my customers own recreational airplanes and/or business jets and I fly on them often.

Oh! Me too! I rode a ferry boat once and went tubing at a resort so I'm qualified to be a yacht captain - just like you jimmy!!! Yay me!

So that's how it works? I flew in an airplane some and I know people who own them so, ipso facto, I'm a fucking genius about them!! Shit - I bet the military wishes they'd have known this logic rather than spend millions on flight education on me an thousands of others. I knew people who owned planes too and i flew on planes too - surprised they didn't just move me to the head of the line and send me out to the carrier day 1. And think of the money civil aviation pilots could save using your logic. Hell, scrap the whole testing process, just attest you know someone who owns an airplane and we'll give you a pilot's license. Brilliant!

No one can tell you 'nuthin' bout no areoplanes right jimmy my man? There 'tant nothin' you don't know!!!

I'm so sick or your smarter than though attitude about everything - and I mean everything - you comment on. You're a regular Walter Mitty! I'll wager you know as much about airplanes as you know about hurricane tracks (or don't you remember your brilliant post about how hurricanes could have been deflected if we'd only build more condos on the beach?)

Since this is a TP thread, might I suggest you use some to wipe your mouth jimmy boy - I mean Walter 'cause that's my new name for you...Capt'n Walter - because almost everything you post (and probably say) is complete shit.

If all of your friends had yachts and you were on them often, talked to the Captains of them, hung out with them, you'd know the basics and a few things about yachts. Most of owners friends ALWAYS ask about the basics, it's human nature.....how much fuel do we use to go to here, how do you get a space at a marina, how long does it take to get here, how much fuel does the boat burn an hour, what speed does it cruise at, how much water does it hold....So if you've taken a 2 week trip on a yacht, you'd most likely know some things about yachts and their basic operation, you can't not pickup something...……

Growing up my father owned an airplane, so yeah we had A&P shops work on it. My uncle owned an airplane charter business with 4 planes, so yeah I grew up around a few airplanes, going to air shows, and spent some time at regional airports and my fathers hanger. A friend of mine owns a small regional commercial airline with daily scheduled flights to the Bahamas. A lot of Yacht Captains are pilots. Yeah A&P shops have people scheduled a week, two weeks out sometimes, but they damn sure as well show priority in scheduling to their commercial customers and very good customers that either spend a lot of $$$ with them or take care of them, just as ANY OTHER BUSINESS DOES especially if you are friends with them and have the hanger directly across from them. That is, if you are friends of them. If a customer that they've had for 20 years that owns 4 airplanes they work on calls up with an issue, damn straight 98% of them are going to squeeze that customer in if he has a trip scheduled and then tell Joe shmoe who flies around in circles once a month that it's 2 weeks out when he calls to schedule. All businesses take extra care of their good customers. One of my customers is a FAA licensed instructor and A&P mechanic. NONE of my friends have issues getting their planes scheduled and worked on in a normal time frame.

I am no expert on anything, nor have professed to be an expert about anything in particular. A forum is a bunch of replies from a bunch of members listing either their experiences or opinions. You get exactly what you've paid for, free advice. One section of the training of my USCG license is learning about weather and how to read it! It makes me knowlegable on it, but I'm no expert. The National Hurricane center cites land mass (ELEVATION) as one reason hurricanes turn. 200-300' condo's that are 50' apart lining the entire beach for 100 miles does cause wind sheer resistance. Even the hurricane experts (which I am not) can't predict where a hurricane is going to go and can't explain exactly why they do what they do. All they can do is PREDICT where a hurricane will go and many of the experts have different opinions and models.

After VTAIL posted something like this to a logical non-threathening and non-personally attacking response based on the CDC guidelines, personally attacking me over something he CLEARLY knows nothing about, unless he's more of an expert than the CDC, is the entire reason I busted his balls, in the same thread. He seems to have a habit of trying to bust my balls at anything he believes is an opportunity. I don't bust somebodies balls NOR personally attack them unless they do so first.

"quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
quote:
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.
I don't understand this logic.

" Why wouldn't a cashier simply wear throwaway surgical gloves, like sub shops use.....they're cheap. " Jimmy123x

VTAILS RESPONSE
"Another brilliant suggestion from our boy jimmy!

Do you actually think before you post?

If the cashier keeps the same pair of gloves on, an infected person's purchases can contaminate the gloves and the virus might then be passed on to subsequent customers.

Aldi cashiers are rated on how fast they process the check-outs. What's faster, and more economical? A change of gloves for each customer, or a quick shot of hand sanitizer? "

JIMMY123X's response.
I don't really care if putting gloves on slows an Aldi cashier down. So you understood that I said a change of gloves for each customer.

Do you have any idea how many people have already touched the stuff in the store before you? The average is 6 people have touched anything in a supermarket before you have. On fruit the average is much higher.

That being said, have you seen the gloves Subway uses, they go on and off in a second and are super cheap and 100% at not transferring to the cashier, food, or customer and Subway changes them with every customer. Hand sterilizer while it helps, is not 100% at killing virus' and while the odds are higher of sterilizing for germs than hand washing. Gloves are 100% and the type without cuffs like subway uses are just as fast as hand sanitizer.

But, according to the CDC:

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs."

"However, hands may become very greasy or soiled in community settings, such as after people handle food, play sports, work in the garden, or go camping or fishing. When hands are heavily soiled or greasy, hand sanitizers may not work well 3,7,16. Handwashing with soap and water is recommended in such circumstances."

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashin...-hand-sanitizer.html

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer does not kill C. difficile.
Clostridium difficile or “C.diff” is a common healthcare-associated infection that causes severe diarrhea. If you have a C. difficile infection, make sure your healthcare providers wear gloves to examine you. You and your loved ones should wash your hands with soap and water to prevent the spread of C. difficile.

https://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/patients/"

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3490004764?r=9770035764#9770035764

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Jimmy and the boat's captain, Jonas, are prepping for a three hour tour from their little, tropical port.

Jimmy's out looking for TP for the two of them and five passengers (one of whom is rich, VERY RICH!)

Ole Jonas is out checking the weather to see if it's all right (my guess is he's really getting his drunk on and not checking to see if the weather will be getting rough).

But hey, Jimmy is a mighty sailing man and Jonas, well, when he sobers up an hour into the three hour tour, he'll be brave and sure...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I actual do know a bit about the recreational airplane industry. Almost all of my customers own recreational airplanes and/or business jets and I fly on them often.

Oh! Me too! I rode a ferry boat once and went tubing at a resort so I'm qualified to be a yacht captain - just like you jimmy!!! Yay me!

So that's how it works? I flew in an airplane some and I know people who own them so, ipso facto, I'm a fucking genius about them!! Shit - I bet the military wishes they'd have known this logic rather than spend millions on flight education on me an thousands of others. I knew people who owned planes too and i flew on planes too - surprised they didn't just move me to the head of the line and send me out to the carrier day 1. And think of the money civil aviation pilots could save using your logic. Hell, scrap the whole testing process, just attest you know someone who owns an airplane and we'll give you a pilot's license. Brilliant!

No one can tell you 'nuthin' bout no areoplanes right jimmy my man? There 'tant nothin' you don't know!!!

I'm so sick or your smarter than though attitude about everything - and I mean everything - you comment on. You're a regular Walter Mitty! I'll wager you know as much about airplanes as you know about hurricane tracks (or don't you remember your brilliant post about how hurricanes could have been deflected if we'd only build more condos on the beach?)

Since this is a TP thread, might I suggest you use some to wipe your mouth jimmy boy - I mean Walter 'cause that's my new name for you...Capt'n Walter - because almost everything you post (and probably say) is complete shit.

If all of your friends had yachts and you were on them often, talked to the Captains of them, hung out with them, you'd know the basics and a few things about yachts. Most of owners friends ALWAYS ask about the basics, it's human nature.....how much fuel do we use to go to here, how do you get a space at a marina, how long does it take to get here, how much fuel does the boat burn an hour, what speed does it cruise at, how much water does it hold....So if you've taken a 2 week trip on a yacht, you'd most likely know some things about yachts and their basic operation, you can't not pickup something...……

Growing up my father owned an airplane, so yeah we had A&P shops work on it. My uncle owned an airplane charter business with 4 planes, so yeah I grew up around a few airplanes, going to air shows, and spent some time at regional airports and my fathers hanger. A friend of mine owns a small regional commercial airline with daily scheduled flights to the Bahamas. A lot of Yacht Captains are pilots. Yeah A&P shops have people scheduled a week, two weeks out sometimes, but they damn sure as well show priority in scheduling to their commercial customers and very good customers that either spend a lot of $$$ with them or take care of them, just as ANY OTHER BUSINESS DOES especially if you are friends with them and have the hanger directly across from them. That is, if you are friends of them. If a customer that they've had for 20 years that owns 4 airplanes they work on calls up with an issue, damn straight 98% of them are going to squeeze that customer in if he has a trip scheduled and then tell Joe shmoe who flies around in circles once a month that it's 2 weeks out when he calls to schedule. All businesses take extra care of their good customers. One of my customers is a FAA licensed instructor and A&P mechanic. NONE of my friends have issues getting their planes scheduled and worked on in a normal time frame.

I am no expert on anything, nor have professed to be an expert about anything in particular. A forum is a bunch of replies from a bunch of members listing either their experiences or opinions. You get exactly what you've paid for, free advice. One section of the training of my USCG license is learning about weather and how to read it! It makes me knowlegable on it, but I'm no expert. The National Hurricane center cites land mass (ELEVATION) as one reason hurricanes turn. 200-300' condo's that are 50' apart lining the entire beach for 100 miles does cause wind sheer resistance. Even the hurricane experts (which I am not) can't predict where a hurricane is going to go and can't explain exactly why they do what they do. All they can do is PREDICT where a hurricane will go and many of the experts have different opinions and models.

After VTAIL posted something like this to a logical non-threathening and non-personally attacking response based on the CDC guidelines, personally attacking me over something he CLEARLY knows nothing about, unless he's more of an expert than the CDC, is the entire reason I busted his balls, in the same thread. He seems to have a habit of trying to bust my balls at anything he believes is an opportunity. I don't bust somebodies balls NOR personally attack them unless they do so first.

"quote:
quote:
quote:
My wife and I really like the not-from-concentrate orange juice at Aldi. We go through a couple of bottles a week. Very tasty, lowest cost.

I stopped in to grab a couple of bottles yesterday, and walked through the store. Bare shelves where the TP used to be. A couple of lonely boxes of tissue.

Cashier at the register had a small pump bottle of hand sanitizer that she used after every customer. I asked her where that was stocked, she said there was no more, but offered a shot for my hands.
I don't understand this logic.

" Why wouldn't a cashier simply wear throwaway surgical gloves, like sub shops use.....they're cheap. " Jimmy123x

VTAILS RESPONSE
"Another brilliant suggestion from our boy jimmy!

Do you actually think before you post?

If the cashier keeps the same pair of gloves on, an infected person's purchases can contaminate the gloves and the virus might then be passed on to subsequent customers.

Aldi cashiers are rated on how fast they process the check-outs. What's faster, and more economical? A change of gloves for each customer, or a quick shot of hand sanitizer? "

JIMMY123X's response.
I don't really care if putting gloves on slows an Aldi cashier down. So you understood that I said a change of gloves for each customer.

Do you have any idea how many people have already touched the stuff in the store before you? The average is 6 people have touched anything in a supermarket before you have. On fruit the average is much higher.

That being said, have you seen the gloves Subway uses, they go on and off in a second and are super cheap and 100% at not transferring to the cashier, food, or customer and Subway changes them with every customer. Hand sterilizer while it helps, is not 100% at killing virus' and while the odds are higher of sterilizing for germs than hand washing. Gloves are 100% and the type without cuffs like subway uses are just as fast as hand sanitizer.

But, according to the CDC:

"Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can quickly reduce the number of microbes on hands in some situations, but sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs."

"However, hands may become very greasy or soiled in community settings, such as after people handle food, play sports, work in the garden, or go camping or fishing. When hands are heavily soiled or greasy, hand sanitizers may not work well 3,7,16. Handwashing with soap and water is recommended in such circumstances."

https://www.cdc.gov/handwashin...-hand-sanitizer.html

Alcohol-based hand sanitizer does not kill C. difficile.
Clostridium difficile or “C.diff” is a common healthcare-associated infection that causes severe diarrhea. If you have a C. difficile infection, make sure your healthcare providers wear gloves to examine you. You and your loved ones should wash your hands with soap and water to prevent the spread of C. difficile.

https://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/patients/"

sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3490004764?r=9770035764#9770035764

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am no expert on anything,

Oh, don't sell yourself short Capt'n Walter! You're a fucking expert on EVERYTHING!!! Why I bet NASA is trying to reach you right now about the next trip to mars. BTW, if you need any TP to wipe you mouth please let me know and I'll mail you a case since it'll take at least that much to clean your pie hole.

Oh - here's a clue. The more you post the more idiotic you look (if that's possible). Do the internet a favor and STFU.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I'm sure some employees of hotels and resorts helped themselves to some TP if they could. Otherwise it's still sitting there in the resort as it's property of the resort/hotel and they want to be ready to open when they can.

As for Cruise Ships, they still have their entire crew on board and the crew needs TP. There's no guess as to how long the TP shortage will last, so they're not going to give it away. They could get rid of (send home) over 1/2 their crew if they could, but most are Asian/Eastern Europe/ etc. nationals and they'd have to repatriate them and with the flight restrictions and VISA's that proves very difficult. Many don't have U.S. visa's so they cannot even step off of the ship while it's in the U.S. They're also very low paid, so does a company pay the server $1200 a month and feed them, or fly them both home and then back to work. They might not even come back to work. The other 1/2 +/- of the crew is necessary to maintain the ship. It's a mess as Port dockage is extremely expensive and nowhere to put all of the ships, some Ports won't even let them in to dock, so many are cruising around in slow circles or anchored.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Are there any estimates as to when the hoarding will subside? I see that the hoarding is moving on to nearly everything. There must some estimates as to when this will be over.

“Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!”

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:

See. I told you.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

here's a clue. The more you post the more idiotic you look (if that's possible). Do the internet a favor and STFU.
Awww, don't be so hard on him. After all, his neighbor's nephew's gay lover once saw an airplane, so he knows way more about aviation than you, Rhino, and me, all put together. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
You guys should start a separate thread for your little squabble.

Perhaps email.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
The number of "experts" real and imagined on here sometimes is amazing to this hillbilly.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that hoarding TP didn't make any sense, because there's no evidence that COVID-19 causes the number of assholes loose in the country to increase.

I may have been wrong...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

I was thinking that hoarding TP didn't make any sense, because there's no evidence that COVID-19 causes the number of assholes loose in the country to increase.

I may have been wrong...
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It seems some people are already going stir crazy...or maybe they're constipated.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
We'll know it's bad when the Martians begin sending us TP and singing "We Are the Solar System"

Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post