SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    LCD Screens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LCD Screens Login/Join 
posted
When is the next gazillionaire going to invent an LCD screen that you can see in daylight . Cellphones and most point and shoot cameras these days are fine as long as you're indoors but go outside and it's an entirely different ballgame. To make the problem worse, most of the camera makers of these models have removed the viewfinder. My phone takes great photos but I'm tired of not being able to see what I'm taking a photo of .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You have a valid point.
One I have searched for many times.
In direct sunlight you can't even use the phone to dial out.
I was at a Golf Demo one time a while back and they had a Golf GPS that worked in direct sunlight and it was in color too ! so they CAN do it. Mad

Posts: 22894 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Kindles and Nooks work fine in direct sunlight. What is different about their screen technology?

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
You can see my LG phone in direct sun - you just have to turn the brightness all the way up.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Kindles and Nooks work fine in direct sunlight. What is different about their screen technology?

they are E-ink and only consume power when they change.

as to the OP's question the issue is power draw and time of day, they can build an LCD that'll output 1000 nits (enough to see it in the sun) but that'd be blinding at night.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, who in the world would name their e-book a nook-e-reader?

Not back to your regular scheduled program.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Slight thread drift, who in the world would name their e-book a nook-e-reader?

I don't know about a "nook-e-reader", but the Nooks make great Practiscore devices for outdoor shooting matches.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I have the same question about the screen on my iPhone. I just started to research, and so far haven't found any solutions or workarounds except those sweatshirts with an insane-looking privacy hood.

Or this: How to Look Like a Total Idiot Using Your iPhone

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with my Nexus 6P phone screen in direct sunlight.

The screen simply has to be in full brightness, and I can't be wearing my polarized sunglasses, as the polarization affects the LCD screen more than the ambient light.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Some, if not most, higher-end point and shoot cameras have viewfinders. It's just a matter of price point.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
that's the only thing I liked when i had a Blackberry... the OLED screen was fine in daylight

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post