SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Adult Swim- More Proof The Law is An Ass
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adult Swim- More Proof The Law is An Ass Login/Join 
posted
Our neighborhood of mostly retired people is up in arms because just in time for the July 4th weekend, we were advised that
"adult swim time" is unconstitutional, according to a recent California (again) court decision, that it violates some provision of the Fair Housing Act . Consequently, we have been advised by the neighborhood association, that there will be no more adult swim time, lest we be sued by some enterprising 8 year old . When is someone going to stand up a yell "ENOUGH" ! I think we need that guy in the movie, Network, yelling "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Do it anyway, just don't make it sound exclusive or label it as such.
I've noticed that kids don't like to hang around if there are too many of us gummers in one place.
Especially if we have that"old person smell".
Call it "Low Impact Water Fitness" that's code for we won't let you play Marco Polo.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
These guys your law firm?

From their description is a federal issue, not state.

And agree - that is just ridiculous!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's no the 8 y/o you need to worry about, it is the lazy ass parent of said 8 y/o that wants to use the pool as a baby sitter so they do not have to entertain their child.

I lived in an apt complex when i first moved to AZ, they had two identical pools; one was "family friendly" and the other was adults only. All went well until some bitchy shrew decided that she preferred to the adult pool as the it offered more options in search of the next baby daddy. She walked around the whole complex with a petition but I dont think got very far

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like kids but have no use for lazy, shitty, and/or dangerous parents.

Amend it to "all children 17 and under must have Red Cross Level 6 swim lessons certificate in order to swim in the pool without an American Red Cross certified lifeguard present. First uncertified swimming incident is $50 fine, second incident is $100 fine, third incident is $250 fine." Have very narrow hours with a life guard present and enforce the rules evenly.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use the Sonic Drive In technique. Play classical music over loudspeakers. Anyone under 50 will flee.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Use the Sonic Drive In technique. Play classical music over loudspeakers. Anyone under 50 will flee.

LOL

Indeed, it is one of the assets of having a superior taste in music.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Well, families with kids should get a discount on association fees due to reduced access to the pool.

At least before they were allowed equal access to the pool.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I first read the thread title I thought the topic was adult swimming sans bathing suit. Every public pool that I have frequented has times reserved for adults who want to swim laps and be left alone. I cannot see how that would be discriminatory at all.

Pool rules having to do with children not being toilet trained make sense. This does not. Perhaps you need to enlist a member of the Gray Panthers to handle the issue. There are senior citizen groups you do not want to mess with believe me.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
When I first read the thread title I thought the topic was adult swimming sans bathing suit. Every public pool that I have frequented has times reserved for adults who want to swim laps and be left alone. I cannot see how that would be discriminatory at all.

Pool rules having to do with children not being toilet trained make sense. This does not. Perhaps you need to enlist a member of the Gray Panthers to handle the issue. There are senior citizen groups you do not want to mess with believe me.

This ruling by the court has spread like wild fire among neighborhood associations and public pools. I doubt within a month you will be able to find any non-private pools with an "adult swim".

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Time to lobby your congressman for an amendment to the Fair Housing Act.

I'd be interested to hear any arguments that this is a constitutional issue. (Equal protection, maybe, but we treat children differently in many ways, so I doubt it.) I'd guess it relates more to the language of the statute.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a case of Baby Ruth candy bars. Every morning, toss one into the pool.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many years ago, my wife worked at a Radio Shack. After school let out for the day, local school kids would wander through the store. I gave her a Frankie Yankovich "Greatest Polka Hits" cassette to play on one of the display stereos---no more kids.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get yourself a case of Baby Ruth candy bars. Every morning, toss one into the pool.

One Baby Ruth should be plenty to get the point across. When fecal matter is discharged into a pool, it is typically drained and closed for some period of time so that a decontamination process can take place. There are strict health department regulations regarding the issue.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Dooty!!!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

This was the method my brother and my nephew used during the short period of time they lived in a housing complex. Worked every time! Of course, they always took their "offensive" Baby Ruth with them when they left. Wink Big Grin

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

LOL

Indeed, it is one of the assets of having a superior taste in music.

or use one of those "mosquito tones." - high frequency pitches that people over a certain age typically cannot hear. drives the younger people who can hear it so crazy they leave.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
why would a baby ruth bother them when they let their kids go in with loaded diapers?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Not sure that the law is the ass here.

What else can we expect when our so-called colleges, universities, and high schools turn out people who have seldom, if ever, actually been required to think during their indoctrination, errr education process.

I saw, and experienced, some of this shit way back in the early 1970's when in second year of college. Required debate in class. 2 of us males against 4 females. (so-called professor was a flag waving women's rights nut case).

Subject, assigned by that so-called professor was "abortion rights".

We males did our preparation, females went to Fla for spring break.

We handed them their asses in the debate, being armed with actual facts it was not hard, not to mention we actually knew how to think and compose an argument.

Whole "team" got a "D" because there was no debate. How could there have been, when the opposing team had absolutely no argument other than, "we are in favor of it!"

Kind of reminds me of that oldie, but goodie, "I was for it before I was against it!"

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post