SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New iOS patch -- be warned
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New iOS patch -- be warned Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Word on the iPad and iPhone forums is 11.1 should be released, soon, and is expected to finally address the battery drain and other issues.

IOW: iOS 11.0.x are all beta releases.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
IOW: iOS 11.0.x are all beta releases.

It seems like, from my perspective, that they are all beta releases. There will be 11.1, then several 11.1.x, maybe 11.2.x, and the only thing that stops the beta process is that a year passes and 12.x is released.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
This is Apple’s way to slowing up old phones and Pads so you purchase the new X or upgrade your Pad.

I bought 3 iPad minis about 4 years ago and got 2 years worth of good use out of them before the updates slowed them to unusable junk. Each new version of iOS did nothing I needed.

quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:

The updates automatically download themselves but you can delete the file so it stops bugging you. Go to:

Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage and then select Manage Storage from the Storage section (not iCloud) of the page.

You'll see a list of apps and among them will be the 11.0.x update. Select it and Delete.

Once you've deleted the file the system will still show a red update indicator but it will stop nagging you to schedule the update.

I do this on my 5S because it runs great on 10.3.3 and there's nothing in 11 I've "gotta have". I just delete the 11 updates as they come out so I stay on 10.3.3.

Thank you for this.

The 3 new mini 4s I just bought, my wife's iPhone 7+, and her Air 2 have all been nagging me. I've been paranoid my wife or kids would accidentally allow the update.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lovin' the P7
Picture of Tim335
posted Hide Post
I have the 11.1 beta on my phone and the Calc app is still broken. Battery life is fine and Outlook never stopped working for me on any of the versions.

You might want to check the Battery section of settings to see if a single app is draining the battery. I had that issue recently with an app that was using about 70% of my battery!

Posts: 3428 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: August 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
iOS 11 is a pile of shit, my iPhone is almost unusable after upgrading, it's so laggy and slow.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep it's been a PIA, the message feature has bugs, if you try and send an image from the photo such as in your album, or right after taking an image the phone will "stall" for the lack of a better term, when you press the message button, you may have to wait for a bit for the message screen to appear, or it will lock up and not appear at all and you have to force the app closed.

Other message issue is if the message box does come up when sending an image it will lock when you start to type in the name of the recipient and you again have to force close the app, the only solution is to open a message, address it then select the image... a PIA.

The other great new feature in messaging is when you type the name of the recipient it doesnt bring up the contact, no it brings up every freaking iteration that name has been used in conjunction with, type Bill and you you don't get to choose Bill, you get Bill, jack and tom, then Bill and tom, Bill and jack, billy, billy bob, billy bob billy and bill, billy bob billy bill and jack and tom, the only quick way to that persons contact for sending a message to an Iphone or mobile is to add the @ symbol when typing in the name and then you'll see their mobile info.

FOr the life of me I can't figure out why the only information that appears in messaging is the information for either a mobile phone or Iphone, nothing else should show...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
My iPhone 7 runs perfectly on the newest OS. Even if not my X is scheduled for delivery on Friday

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim335:
I have the 11.1 beta on my phone and the Calc app is still broken.

11.2 beta released yesterday, Apple claims to have fixed the calc app. Not that I would ever want to use that dinky little calc anyway.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Tim335:
I have the 11.1 beta on my phone and the Calc app is still broken.

11.2 beta released yesterday, Apple claims to have fixed the calc app. Not that I would ever want to use that dinky little calc anyway.

It's just a tip of the iceberg thing. If they can't even make sure the dinky stuff works, and test it before releasing, what about the really complicated stuff under the water. Security holes, etc. No faith.

I hate Windows. But I'm now more comfortable installing a Windows patch than an iOS patch.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
iOS 11.1 released today...Happy Halloween Wink

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
To patch or not to patch. That is the question.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apple iOS 11.1 now available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with 70 new emoji, other improvements

By Mike Wuerthele
Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 10:26 am PT (01:26 pm ET)

After a month-long testing process, Apple has made available iOS 11.1 including a fix for the KRACK wi-fi exploit, and a large amount of accessibility feature fixes.

In addition to the KRACK wi-fi attack vector rectification, Apple's iOS 11.1 also includes the return of the 3D Touch multitasking app switcher.

Apple's notes on the update proclaim that the update "introduces over 70 new emoji." The new emoji require iOS 11.1 devices for the intended recipient as well, or the graphic in question won't be properly displayed.

Other fixes include resolution of several issues in Photos, improved Accessibility with many VoiceOver enhancements and improved braille device support, some Apple Watch data handoff issues repairs, and a problem resulting in inaccuracies in location data from external GPS devices has been patched.

Still absent are Apple Pay Cash, and AirPlay 2.

Three "sub-point" updates proceeded the iOS 11.1 release, fixing some glaring bugs —all of which have been rolled into iOS 11.1.

The update is a 311.3 MB download on an iPhone 7 Plus.

Ref: Apple iOS 11.1 now available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch with 70 new emoji, other improvements

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
iOS 11.1 is *supposed* to address the slowness and battery drain issues many of us were experiencing, I installed it last night on my 6 and will look to see if anything has improved.

My parents both have SE's on my plan and I have instructed them to NOT UPGRADE to iOS 11 under any circumstances, stick with iOS 10.X.X for the time being.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I installed - had nothing to lose. So far so good but haven't used it much.

Still some enterprise email quirkiness but other things seem better. I did have a couple of hangs (forgot which app). But sees okay since then (after power toggle).

Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
The new IOS has not fixed my battery drain problem.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prestoked:
The new IOS has not fixed my battery drain problem.

I have *never* had a battery drain problem with my iPhone, from the 4s to the current 8+. It may be I don't use it much, or it may be I keep it charged, when I'm at home. Certain apps can drain a battery. I noticed the other day that Apple Pay did not disappear from the home screen, like it should. Result, I was down to 67% when I got home.

Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
I never did either until the last two IOS updates.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
My parents both have SE's on my plan and I have instructed them to NOT UPGRADE to iOS 11 under any circumstances, stick with iOS 10.X.X for the time being.

Can you share any more on this bit? I have an SE and haven't upgraded yet. Was wondering when I should.

Posts: 385 | Registered: November 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
In addition to the KRACK wi-fi attack vector rectification, Apple's iOS 11.1 also includes the return of the 3D Touch multitasking app switcher.

I don't have much luck with 3D Touch things, (don't have the right touch, I guess), and I personally find it much quicker to double tap the home button for task switching.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
While my Windows Vista powers on decade after decade....

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post