SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pronunciation of certain words
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of certain words Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Yutes?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i bet you would have a wicked pissa time talkining to a new englanda

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
i bet you would have a wicked pissa time talkining to a new englanda

Spent seven years of my life in that neighborhood.

My biggest pronunciation bitch about there?

Kooawfee. Mad

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Eckspecially.

Normally I'd recommend concentration camps for this sort of thing, but so many otherwise well spoken people commit this atrocity that burning them all would be unwise for the species.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have a similar pet peeve. How anybody can see how February is spelled and not pronounce the first R is beyond me. Same for the L in salmon.

You pronounce the 'l' in 'salmon'?

Yes, because I'm a purist.

I also say Vallejo, California the way it's supposed to: Vah-yeah-ho.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Nuculer has ALWAYS rubbed my fur the wrong way. How is it that otherwise reasonably intelligent people can see the word nuclear and pronounce it nuculer? I seriously just want to Gibbs smack anyone who does it. It pisses me off to no end.

President Carter did this on a frequent basis. He had an advanced degree in nuclear physics. I guess it was the Georgia upbringing.

And he went through the nukular power training program in the Navy!

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Jewry. You wore a religion on your fingers?
Call David Truong.

All these years and I never knew he was Jewish; you learn something new everyday.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I also say Vallejo, California the way it's supposed to: Vah-yeah-ho.
That's "Bah-yey-ho", ese! Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3gupp

On the topic of pronunciation, "Moun'an" for mountain. "Foun'an" for fountain. It's got a goddamn T. Use it.

Both words can be pronounced with a glottal stop, similar to the word "button". The Ts in button typically aren't enunciated. What irks me are the ones who say "buddon".

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
"Ecks-set-er-ah"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
"Welp," when what the person means is "well."

As in, "welp, I have no clue how to speak or write English, but regardless I'll annoy everyone with my ignorance."

It's bad enough when people say it, but typing it is even more annoying, because it's more difficult to type "welp," than it is to type "well." Yes, both are only four letters, but typing "welp" requires a transition from the l to p (right hand "ring finger" to right hand "pinky finger), rather than merely "double tapping" the l key with the right hand "ring finger."

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods, I hear way too many people say "flustrated", the silly combination of flustered and frustrated.

Posts: 25 | Registered: March 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
meetin' instead of meeting, goin' instead of going...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I get triggered like a SJW with “prolly”. Who the fuck decided it’s ok to say this, intentionally, let alone write it. I first heard it from my wife’s boss who was upper level management in marketing at Dairy Queen. Marketing, which requires that you excell in communication. It just confirmed how much she was in over her head in that position. You belong in the mail room you stupid cunt.

I’ve even seen guys use it here on SF. Mad Mad Mad

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife occasionally corrects my pronunciation. When it is something I was unaware of, I take it to heart. When it is something that I pronounce the way I do because I'm old enough I can damn well say words the way I want, I remind her of her "parmesian cheese". Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
How many people pronounce Wednesday correctly?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Wait, are we including using the plain WRONG word, or just mispronunciations?

I guess it would be a mute point.

It can be both ways. The word most are looking for is "moot," as in a "moot point."

I prefer mute point, and say it that way because I intend to use the word "mute" instead of "moot." (Had I intended to say "moot," I'd have used the word, because I'm an intelligent guy and can think for myself...don't need people telling what word I meant to use).

I use "mute" because it's a silent point, and I emphasize that as a point which has no meaning, vs. "moot," which is a word that annoys me. Mute is more poetic and points to what is intended in that context; a blunt point, silent in efficacy, and lacking a voice. Mute.

For all intensive porpoises; I think he was making a joke.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

For all intensive porpoises; I think he was making a joke.

You've no idea the shit I receive from English majors and self-appointed grammar nazi's for the correct use of "mute" when chosen on context to illustrate a point.

My grip is with those who won't stand for anything but "moot."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Meh. If there’s one thing we know about language, it’s that it is always changing. Certain sounds are weak and fall silent, and sounds change over time.

This is why the plural of “foot” is “feet.” In Old English, a foot plural was footaye. (You add a long “a” sound to make a plural, much like we use a “s” today. However, saying a long “a” is difficult for the palate after foot, so the “oo” vowels were stretched, so to speak, into the long “ee” of feet. Then later, because final, unaccented vowels are weak, the final “a” gets dropped, and we’re left with “feet” as the plural.

Language is a mess, and constantly evolves. Getting worked up about it is pointless. It will evolve whether we like it or not.

However, to play along, I’ll contribute.

Husqvarna is a chainsaw, lawnmower, rifle, and town in Sweden.
HusqAvarna is you making up words.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:This is why the plural of “foot” is “feet.”

That message has not be received by a fair number of individuals (including some on TV) who think a person is "six foot tall" or a room is "12 foot wide".

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post