SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pronunciation of certain words
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of certain words Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have a similar pet peeve. How anybody can see how February is spelled and not pronounce the first R is beyond me. Same for the L in salmon.
Almonds?
Ahmends

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
What gets me is the people that add an A where there isn't one.

DecathAlon
TriathAlon
RealAtor
DiAlate
TiAjuana

TheAter

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
You can't stop me from saying robut or injun.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
What gets me is the people that add an A where there isn't one.

TiAjuana

Tijuana is a tough one. Most pronounce it Tee you wanna...which isn't entirely incorrect from an English perspective. But, the lazy change the "you" to "uh", changing it to what you describe.

As I understand it, the correct way is TeeWhanna.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The latest one that is really beginning to piss me off is TOOmeric. TOOmeric? Really? The word is TURMERIC. TerMERic, NOT TOOmeric.

Did these people ever go to school? Mad

Not that it matters especially, but the OED audio pronunciation disagrees with you.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oh, god... There's "liberry" "suposably" "asparagrus" "lectricity"...

The list goes on. It's so difficult being perfect...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12744 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Another, saguaro (as in the cactus), is correctly pronounced sawharo.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nuculer has ALWAYS rubbed my fur the wrong way. How is it that otherwise reasonably intelligent people can see the word nuclear and pronounce it nuculer? I seriously just want to Gibbs smack anyone who does it. It pisses me off to no end.

President Carter did this on a frequent basis. He had an advanced degree in nuclear physics. I guess it was the Georgia upbringing.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Carmel instead of caramel.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say carmel instead of caramel.

My girlfriend is always on me about pin/pen, colors ( i pronounce it collars), and the list goes on.

My dad is bad about it: instead of a soccer goalie he says goldie.

He says crick instead of creek (my whole family on both sides of the KY and WV sides says that)

He was raised in Appalachia and that is how they talk.

I didn't know that about saguaro though. I learned something today.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Wait, are we including using the plain WRONG word, or just mispronunciations?

I guess it would be a mute point.

It can be both ways. The word most are looking for is "moot," as in a "moot point."

I prefer mute point, and say it that way because I intend to use the word "mute" instead of "moot." (Had I intended to say "moot," I'd have used the word, because I'm an intelligent guy and can think for myself...don't need people telling what word I meant to use).

I use "mute" because it's a silent point, and I emphasize that as a point which has no meaning, vs. "moot," which is a word that annoys me. Mute is more poetic and points to what is intended in that context; a blunt point, silent in efficacy, and lacking a voice. Mute.

On the topic of pronunciation, "Moun'an" for mountain. "Foun'an" for fountain. It's got a goddamn T. Use it.

My ex-mother in law loved "kwiopwaktor" for chiropractor. I was never sure if she was trying to be cute or just that stupid (pretty sure it was stupid), but "cute" does't work for a cycloptic murdering grey hag infected by the soul of satan. It just doesn't.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Supposebly
Axe instead of ask is a good one too.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a similar pet peeve. How anybody can see how February is spelled and not pronounce the first R is beyond me. Same for the L in salmon.

You pronounce the 'l' in 'salmon'?

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
Some of my own favorites are the adding of gratuitous 't's to words that end in 's'.

Like the truck is in the shop so I have to take the bust. The bust stop is over there, acrosst the street.

I have bad habits of my own, but that one always gets me.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Wait, are we including using the plain WRONG word, or just mispronunciations?

I guess it would be a mute point.

It can be both ways. The word most are looking for is "moot," as in a "moot point."

I prefer mute point, and say it that way because I intend to use the word "mute" instead of "moot." (Had I intended to say "moot," I'd have used the word, because I'm an intelligent guy and can think for myself...don't need people telling what word I meant to use).

I use "mute" because it's a silent point, and I emphasize that as a point which has no meaning, vs. "moot," which is a word that annoys me. Mute is more poetic and points to what is intended in that context; a blunt point, silent in efficacy, and lacking a voice. Mute.

On the topic of pronunciation, "Moun'an" for mountain. "Foun'an" for fountain. It's got a goddamn T. Use it.

My ex-mother in law loved "kwiopwaktor" for chiropractor. I was never sure if she was trying to be cute or just that stupid (pretty sure it was stupid), but "cute" does't work for a cycloptic murdering grey hag infected by the soul of satan. It just doesn't.

Sounds similar to folks who say things like buh'ih for button.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:

You pronounce the 'l' in 'salmon'?

That's the first I've heard of it. Confused

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a class at my Fortune 100 company where the instructor pronounced "breakfast" as "breks-puss". Took me several times hearing it before I realized what she was talking about.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
Sounds similar to folks who say things like buh'ih for button.

Oh yeah, ghetto talk. Mad

I once knew a white girl from a rural town in NY who used to speak this way.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The latest one that is really beginning to piss me off is TOOmeric. TOOmeric? Really? The word is TURMERIC. TerMERic, NOT TOOmeric.

Did these people ever go to school? Mad

Not that it matters especially, but the OED audio pronunciation disagrees with you.

I gathered TERmeric from them. Either way, it's not TOOmeric.

Besides, they're Brits. What the hell do they know about proper English. Wink

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
harassment

huh-rass-ment

not

hair-ess-ment

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post