SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pronunciation of certain words
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of certain words Login/Join 
A Strangely
Persuasive Monster
Picture of Swain0351
posted Hide Post
I get a fairly noticeable eye twitch when people say, "you're bias" instead of biased.

"Arguing with a fool is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around like it's victorious." ~Anonymous

Posts: 10359 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'm noticing more and more lately that an "h" sneaks in to follow the leading "s" in a word.

Example: "shtrong." --> "We're here to show that we're shtrong and capable."
I've heard this sort of thing a few times lately during the local news broadcast. [Insert facepalm.]. "Shtrong storms in our area this evening...."

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
how about salsER instead of salsa
or tortillER instead of tortilla?

Its worse than fingers on a chalk board.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:

Never here in Texas, amigo.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
"The dump truck ran over my brother and myself."

Just a guess. Do you suppose that the increase in the number of people, who are native Spanish speakers, directly influences the increasing use of the reflexive in English? Perhaps the basic construct of the native tongue bleeds over into secondary languages for any person. Because Spanish relies heavily on reflexive constructs, perhaps its only natural for those people to adopt a similar pattern when speaking English.

As a similar example, consider Russians speaking English. Because their language lacks any infinitive/definitive article, they omit it when speaking English. They will say "I go get car now" because that is how they would do it in Russian, and it is awkward for them to add an "a" or "the" before the object. Likewise, Spanish speakers are bringing their rules and systems into their use of English. This ultimately is how language changes over time.

I'm just supposing here. I don't know.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
SIL says "srimp" instead of "shrimp".

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
SIL says "srimp" instead of "shrimp".
That 007 guy stole all the "sh" sounds, so there weren't any left for you SIL (son in law? sister in law?).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'm noticing more and more lately that an "h" sneaks in to follow the leading "s" in a word.

Example: "shtrong." --> "We're here to show that we're shtrong and capable."

They've been watching too many Sean Connery movies. Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's one of my favorite colloquialisms ever!

quote:
Do you suppose that the increase in the number of people, who are native Spanish speakers, directly influences the increasing use of the reflexive in English?

It's an interesting hypothesis for sure. I always assumed it was from people being incorrectly scolded by their parents or teachers.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
"The dump truck ran over my brother and myself."

Just a guess. Do you suppose that the increase in the number of people, who are native Spanish speakers, directly influences the increasing use of the reflexive in English? Perhaps the basic construct of the native tongue bleeds over into secondary languages for any person. Because Spanish relies heavily on reflexive constructs, perhaps its only natural for those people to adopt a similar pattern when speaking English.

As a similar example, consider Russians speaking English. Because their language lacks any infinitive/definitive article, they omit it when speaking English. They will say "I go get car now" because that is how they would do it in Russian, and it is awkward for them to add an "a" or "the" before the object. Likewise, Spanish speakers are bringing their rules and systems into their use of English. This ultimately is how language changes over time.

I'm just supposing here. I don't know.

It certainly could be, and some linguist would have to make a study.

But the people I have known who used that reflexive construction have been native English speakers. I always thought they were trying to hi-falute a bit.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
My mother-in-law pronounces guacamole as guaca-mole. Now my wife and I do it while we are at restaurants just to watch people look at us like we are stupid. Its fun. Big Grin

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

They've been watching too many Sean Connery movies. Smile

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Hoaster instead of holster.

The shady-ass owner of a small local AK shop here years ago always pronounced the word 'sear' as shear.

These two really drive me nuts! Mad

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I see none of you have lived with an actual French person. Mispronunciation can be a way of life.

After decades in the US, she does really, really well, but sometimes gives herself away by putting the emPHASsis on the wrong syLAble.

Other times, she comes up with something so original, there is no telling what she is trying to say.

Then there was the time she announced she was going to pull the bad Herbs in the yard. She was talking about weeds, the French for which is mauvaises herbes.

She can fool even other French, though. A sales gal in a shop in her homeland announced, “You speak French really well for an American!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Crick/creek...

In NOVA, it's a "run".

Hence the Battle of Bull Run, I’m guessing

I’ve noticed that I do not say either crick or creek exclusively. Some creek names just seem to fit with “crick,” while others do not.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
She can fool even other French, though. A sales gal in a shop in her homeland announced, “You speak French really well for an American!”

Hey, at least she doesn’t serve you ground-apples with gravy. Smile

Speaking of French words being butchered, I go nuts when I’m in a gun store and someone is talking about shooting “sabots” out of their muzzleloader, with a well pronounced “t”.

Also, pronouncing the “s” in Illinois.
Or the “s” in coup de gras.

I’m beginning to understand why the French are so annoyed by Americans speaking their language.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Hence the Battle of Bull Run, I’m guessing

Yes. Drive the GW parkway on the VA side of the Potomac, and you see several signs for the "runs" you are crossing over.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Spent seven years of my life in that neighborhood.

My biggest pronunciation bitch about there?

Kooawfee. Mad

That's not New England, that's New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT New England. It doesn't even border New England.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
The Philadelphia accent would drive some of you (youze) crazy as we speak in a way that influenced much of South Jersey and Delaware (Del'ware). The double negatives drive me crazy.
Philly Accent
My accent is slight as a first generation American that speaks other languages. I do say "wooder" and "dat ova dere". It really comes out when I am annoyed. The Philly accent is only in the White and some of the Jewish community. The Italian South Philly accent is much more in depth.

When I worked down South, I had to learn Redneckian and Ghetto speak. Reneckians put more emphasis on vowels and Ghetto uses a bit of Redneckian and also cuts word endings off and uses a thick, lazy tongue type of speech. For example, "Your hair looks nice" would be "Yo hai loo nah".

My favorite quote is one overheard in court, after testifying why I arrested a driver for various offenses. The defendant replied, "Mah licen dun got impended cause mah shuance dun collapsed." Translated, that is "My license was suspended because my car insurance lapsed." Yes, the Judge asked the defendant to repeat his testimony, and the courtroom was full of snickers (not the candy bar).

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Spent seven years of my life in that neighborhood.

My biggest pronunciation bitch about there?

Kooawfee. Mad

That's not New England, that's New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT New England. It doesn't even border New England.

I heard it all over NY and VT. Perhaps they were NJ transplants, but it was VERY common and VERY aggravating.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post