SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pronunciation of certain words
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of certain words Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I see none of you have lived with an actual French person.

Au contraire.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I see none of you have lived with an actual French person.

Au contraire.
mon frère
George Carlin?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

George Carlin?

No. But I've lived with an actual French person.

And everyone here speaks French.

Except for the bloody dutch.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
I absolutely hate it anytime someone pronounces a word differently than I do. Because they're so obviously wrong, and I'm so obviously right.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ambidextrious

Posts: 548 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Spent seven years of my life in that neighborhood.

My biggest pronunciation bitch about there?

Kooawfee. Mad

That's not New England, that's New Jersey. New Jersey is NOT New England. It doesn't even border New England.

I heard it all over NY and VT. Perhaps they were NJ transplants, but it was VERY common and VERY aggravating.

Quite possibly. Lot of NJ folks around here.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More funny than infuriating, but I heard a guy on a hunting show the other day talking about building something out of "tuba-forz" and watching the deer feed on "a-kehrnz"

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The T in "__itch" words is silent. I cringe whenever I hear someone say "swit-ches".

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
As an icon of intelligence you must say "eye-ther" (either) instead of the normal "ee-ther" (either). Then the same person will say "you and I" whenever the correct usage should have been "you and me". (There are times whenever "you and I" is correct but a pseudo-intellectual cannot discern.)

And then there is the word "Caribbean".

And, then, my grandpa used to put his moonshine in a Biggo jug.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can live in South Louisiana all of your life and learn the infinite variations of the same word , you can live anywhere . Parisian French and Cajun French are not exactly the same , and some surnames are even pronounced differently depending on what side of the Mississippi River you live on . Most of us just go with the flow and don't get too bent out of shape over a simple thing like pronunciation .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
Educators nowadays teach that the word 'the' is always pronounced "thuh". There are many times whenever the word should be voiced as "thee" to designate. THIS IRRITATES ME TO NO END.

The use of 'the' as "thuh" makes the American language sound as if it is akin to the ugly Asian languages (which are nothing but grunts, or a version of White Fang on Soupy Sales, or they are from New Jersey).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arlen,

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arlen:
Educators nowadays teach that the word 'the' is always pronounced "thuh". There are many times whenever the word should be voiced as "thee" to designate. THIS IRRITATES ME TO NO END.

The use of 'the' as "thuh" makes the American language sound as if it is akin to the ugly Asian languages (which are nothing but grunts, or a version of White Fang on Soupy Sales, or they are from New Jersey).

My uncle was White Fang... great uncle I guess, my grandmothers brother, we just called him Uncle Frank.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
My personal favorite is LIBARY....my wife says it now just to bug me.

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cokehockey:
My personal favorite is LIBARY....my wife says it now just to bug me.
Wait, you mean it's not pronounced "lie-berry?"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Shortened to the “berry” by some folks here.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Wheapon for weapon.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pecan pie. It’s not pee-can (that’s what you have on boat)

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
It’s not pee-can (that’s what you have on boat)
Canopy. Is that over the bed, or under the bed?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
What gets me is the people that add an A where there isn't one.

DecathAlon
TriathAlon
RealAtor
DiAlate
TiAjuana

I'll admit I looked this up and there really isn't an A. No idea how I picked up this habit.

I guess I'll have to fix this before I go to Marthon in the Keys for Thanksgiving.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
The T in "__itch" words is silent. I cringe whenever I hear someone say "swit-ches".
Except of course when you say bitches... Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post