SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Pronunciation of certain words
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pronunciation of certain words Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Same for the L in salmon.

Because we don't pronounce that L. The pronunciation comes from the French for that fish, which is saumon. But we spell it to be closer to the original Latin, which was salmo or salmon.

It is just the way it is. Saying the "L" isn't pure, it is just bloody mindedness. Wink

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
It's freakin' water, not worter. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

You've no idea the shit I receive from English majors and self-appointed grammar nazi's for the correct use of "mute" when chosen on context to illustrate a point.

My grip is with those who won't stand for anything but "moot."

You mean "gripe," not "grip."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

My grip is with those who won't stand for anything but "moot."
He needs to come to grips with his gripe.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Leupold.

It ain’t “Lee-ah pold.”

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
Crick/creek...

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
It's album...not alblum.
It's Walmart...not Wall-mark

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimg1960:
Crick/creek...

In NOVA, it's a "run".

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Yallow instead of yellow.
Pistol instead of pedestal
Whoreness instead of harness
Disting instead of discing as in breaking up turned soil.

All of these are words I had to grow up hearing. Most of my family talks with pretty heavy accents. I actually have to translate things for my wife sometimes as she can’t pick out what was really being said. There are a bunch more but I haven’t had enough coffee to get the brain going.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
This is an excellent list so far.

I'd like to add the people that take the contraction would've, and say would of, instead.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
yurn

Southerners have their own language. Smile

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
These pronunciations should be clear to the educated, but they're too murky.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool Whip:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
everything I can find says TOO-meric is a proper pronunciation of the word...i wasn't aware this was such an issue, but googling the issue there have whole articles written on the subject

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Don't tell me what I fucking mean.

But yes. Gripe.

Sticking keys on a very old keyboard.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
The Connecticut pronunciation (or lack thereof) of the "T" in words drives me insane.

Mountain = Mouw-in

Fighting = Fih-in

Hitting = Hih-in.

Honorable mention is Berlin. Burrrrlynn.

I also hate when morons try to correct my grammar by acting like they know the correct usage of "I", and "me".

"I" = subject - nominative pronoun, or predicate nominative.

"Me" = object.

Trying to sound like you know WTF you are talking about and saying something like "The dump truck ran over my brother and I" is annoying as hell.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The correct use of I vs. me is found by using it singly in a sentence. One wouldn't say "the dump truck ran over I," unless one is from Jamaica.

It still sounds better to me, having been raised with british english, to say that the dump truck ran over my brother and I, though it's not correct.

To say that the dump truck ran over my brother and I is better than to say that the dump truck ran over my brother and me. If me is used, it's better parsed as "the dump truck ran over me and my brother."

Given the choice, I'd settle for the dump truck simply running over my brother, as I'm not his keeper, and I'm happy to remove myself from both the sentence and any possibility of being run over by a dump truck, or any other truck.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The correct use of I vs. me is found by using it singly in a sentence. One wouldn't say "the dump truck ran over I," unless one is from Jamaica.

Exactly what I was taught.

There seems to be an even more ridiculous variation in common usage now.

"The dump truck ran over my brother and myself."

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is why the plural of “foot” is “feet.” In Old English, a foot plural was footaye. (You add a long “a” sound to make a plural, much like we use a “s” today. However, saying a long “a” is difficult for the palate after foot, so the “oo” vowels were stretched, so to speak, into the long “ee” of feet. Then later, because final, unaccented vowels are weak, the final “a” gets dropped, and we’re left with “feet” as the plural.

Well that makes sense. Because "bootaye" is kind of plural...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

"I" = subject - nominative pronoun, or predicate nominative.

"Me" = object.

Trying to sound like you know WTF you are talking about and saying something like "The dump truck ran over my brother and I" is annoying as hell.
Oh, yes! Preach it, Reverend.

I have not done an accurate count, but I'm pretty sure that the wrong use outnumbers the correct use, even -- gasp -- here on SIGforum. Every time I see it, I think to myself, "Did I really just read that?" and I have to go back and look at it again.

To date, I have not kvetched about it. Self-control, don'tcha know.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post