SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Losing a small insignificant item with sentimental meaning...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Losing a small insignificant item with sentimental meaning... Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Lost a pair of nail clippers when we moved into our new house recently. Nothing special about them mechanically, they do a serviceable job.

Now the reason it even registers on my radar is that these clippers were purchased on my first day in Innsbruck, Austria back in the summer of 2003. Went with a group of friends for a study-abroad program and spent ~2 months living and going to school there. Classes Monday-Thursday, an unrestricted Eu-rail pass for the weekends. The memories associated with my first time traveling internationally while visiting most of western Europe (including missing a day of class because of trying to get back from a trip to visit the beaches @ Normandy) are something I'll never forget; I can truly say that trip helped to mold a portion of who I am today. The clippers themselves are nothing that can't be replaced, yet here I sit lamenting what happened to them and wishing I knew there whereabouts. How stupid is that?

So what say you? What silly/insignificant item have you lost that resulted in more than it's fair share of heartache or worry?

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
Not a sentimental loss, but an annoying one. I left a ThruNite Ti5 flashlight in a Japan hotel room. Of course it's been discontinued. The ThruNight Ti3 replacement I bought isn't nearly as good.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
I lost a pen-sized click eraser at a customer site once. Dropped it in the hall after a meeting while carrying a laptop, mouse, notepad, and a mechanical pencil. It was disappeared within minutes of noticing it was gone when I got back to the dirty radioactive coat closet of a cube assigned to several consultants contractors.

That stupid click eraser was one of two that got me through two botched attempts at an engineering major and then completing a BS in MIS ... and then 19-20 years of work.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
I left a pair of nice small fishing pliers on the rail of a pier once. Nice stainless parallel jaws with a wire cutter.
Discovered them missing a couple of days later and apparently they stayed put for 24hrs or so until someone figured I wasn't coming back.

Not a special thing but I really liked those pliers.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago my house was burglarized, lost a bunch of jewelry and a rolex. But what really pissed me off was my collection of wheat pennies and WW2 zinc pennies that I had found over the years working at our gas station.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sentiment means everything to me.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, when I was eight days old...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Well, when I was eight days old...

And they took the end of your "one toy"? Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I feel that I am far too sentimental sometimes. I have a lot of stuff that I feel some connection to, or have a memory with.

Doesn't bother me, usually - until I lose something.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
A brass keyfob I got in college. It went missing for 9 months (in the toe of winter boots). It really burned my ass that it was gone, likely had it 15 years.

I use it to keep all my second keys on now. Stupid to attach sentimental value to an $8 brass University mascot I guess, but there it is.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
A brass keyfob I got in college. It went missing for 9 months (in the toe of winter boots). It really burned my ass that it was gone, likely had it 15 years.

I use it to keep all my second keys on now. Stupid to attach sentimental value to an $8 brass University mascot I guess, but there it is.

I keep my keys on a key ring I've thirty years. Probably cost 50¢ or less, had it since 2nd or third grade. Attached to that key ring is a give away that came with a Polo jacket 20 years ago, the Polo logo came off over a decade ago. I'd be upset if I lost them.

Just lost my EDC flashlight on Thursday. A four or five year old Fenix that has survived a brutal repeated beating over the years, $60 to replace. I really wanted to find its breaking point. Guess I'll have to start abusing a new one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Lost a neoprene eyeglasses case with a velcro closure on the end that I found under the seat of a Karmann Ghia that belonged to my dad. And the Ghia is long gone, as well. Frown

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
On the flip side of losing sentimental stuff, my ex-wife gave my dil (they both live in California) some memorabilia she found when she was moving.

She found a pair of my Spec 4 and Spec 5 pins from my stint in the Army. I'm sure you can still buy them, but to have the ones I wore was a nice surprise.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Divorcing the devils daughter cost me everything .... Started life over with the clothes on my back .....
My folks on dvd tape is the worst i lost.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in 2016 we flooded with a little over 4 feet of water in the house . ALL of our photo albums were in a cabinet that went under . A Bible that belonged to my Mother , ALL of my genealogy research material , and the list goes on and on . What didn't flood got stolen by the crew that was gutting out the house . Too much going on to watch everybody at once . What really hurt was a Rubbermaid box that was full of knives that I had collected including two that were purchased for my grandchildren and one that was given to me by my wife's grandfather . I know it was stolen because it was on a closet shelf . Things like that can't be replaced with any amount of money .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
This should not be a big deal, but i had a ball cap the said OH-1 on the front, with my last name on the back. I got it when I went to work part-time for NDMS in 2000. I loved that hat. I must have left it somewhere this past spring. It had beem to Guam, Haiti, Katrina, Rita, Gustav, the Red River floods, and another half-dozen or so hurricanes. It was like a tour of my time with NDMS.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post