SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I've really gotta buff up my math skills.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've really gotta buff up my math skills. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Went to use my trusty DeWalt benchtop planer a while back and it was about as sharp as a marble.

Had a spare set of knives on the shelf so I went to swap them and...Dang. That's the other old set I took off and never got around to having sharpened. So, I sprung for a new set from Amazon.

Couple weeks ago I finally got around to dropping them off to be sharpened. Silly me, I didn't read the fine print on his website and when he (finally...) called and said they were ready the bill for sharpening 4 knives was $78.

The new set from Amazon was $35 to my door.

Uh...oops...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That is a lot of money for sharpening. I use a guy in San Francisco who charges $10 per knife.

**EDIT: Wait, that's for pocket knives. He charges $1-3 per inch for regular knives.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yeah, this guy is $1.50 per inch. Somehow, I read that as $1.50 per knife.

Oh well, three sets of sharp knives will likely last me a lifetime no more than I use that planer.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post