SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Corporate Morons At It Again (Long and Boring)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corporate Morons At It Again (Long and Boring) Login/Join 
posted
I recently complimented my boss on Sigforum. For two years he exhibited leadership, managed his staff, cross-trained us in each other's jobs, and increased revenue by over 80 percent. So, they fired him, without justification, reason, or warning. Based on what they are paying him in severance, they know they cannot prevail if he files on them. Tomorrow we are being audited on our HR procedures (uselessly, we just passed a Department of Labor audit with ONE error), and our parent office sent in SEVEN people to "assist" us TODAY. We've know about the audit for over a month and have been requesting current guidelines/support without success. I walked out today because the "team" is pretty much mucking everything up. Interestingly, most of the office is comprised of people on a retirement or military disability who only work because they want to. Over half are considering quitting over this debacle.

Why must they break that which is working? if they would have simply left us alone, we would have continued to generate a lot of money.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Nothing unusual, corporate morons hundreds of miles away know more about the business, which they recently acquired, than people who have been at it for 30 years.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have to be there, that would probably be enough to make me just walk out for good.

I look forward to when I don't have to tolerate stupidity.

At my old job, I had a standing offer with my part time gig to come on FT anytime I wanted, for more $$$ than my full time gig.

Several times I reminded a few that I operated on a "Three Day" rule. The rule was, if they (the administration) pissed me off 3 days in a row with stupid shit, I wouldn't come back on the 4th. That sounds pompous, but I meant it, and they left me alone until I left for a massive raise.

I'm stuck now, though, after the raise. But I enjoy most days.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Man if you can go 3 day without being pissed off you must work in a hell of a great place. My company pisses me off every single damn day with their corporate BS

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I see two groups of people who make really stupid corporate decisions.

The first group are usually children of the owner, but are those in inherit a business without ever having to work in order to build one.

The second group are college graduates. They know they're smarter than everybody else because they have a piece of paper that says so. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

The first group are usually children of the owner, but are those in inherit a business without ever having to work in order to build one.

The second group are college graduates. They know they're smarter than everybody else because they have a piece of paper that says so. Wink

We had a GM a few years ago who loved buzzwords and managed the company with a Rolodex.
He couldn't take a dump without calling a consultant.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corporate always seems to screw everything up always. It seems that every new middle manager has to change every single procedure just to make themselves important and they tend to change something that has been working very well into a complete and total mess.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bigger the corp, the more the idiots. Wonder how the one I worked for ever made money. The one thing they had going for it is that I had a lot of really good coworkers who did good work and knew what they were doing.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll give it the rest of this week, then decide. Until last spring I was only working to pay my youngest daughter's tuition and pay for the weddings (2 daughters in 1 year.) I now owe exactly nothing and have since October. Nice to have a social life outside the house, but.....

My wife says I ought to go get a part time job at the local Kroger. 3 days a week would cover a Roth IRA contribution for us both.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keep us updated. Stress at work contributes to GI issues in a big way.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

so, how did the audit go?

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like they sent in the MBAs to "fix" things.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'll give it the rest of this week, then decide. Until last spring I was only working to pay my youngest daughter's tuition and pay for the weddings (2 daughters in 1 year.) I now owe exactly nothing and have since October. Nice to have a social life outside the house, but.....

My wife says I ought to go get a part time job at the local Kroger. 3 days a week would cover a Roth IRA contribution for us both.

I recommend something like this if you like to meet people and help them, and don't mind standing on concrete for a long time. Other options are Home Depot/Lowes and auto parts stores. I'm sure there are others. I was a professional and didn't want to get off from there and go in somewhere else to do more of the same.

I worked PT jobs for 25 years, and most all that money got 401k'd, IRA'd, or banked. $10/hr or whatever isn't much, but it can add up if you don't need it to live on.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the audit results. I don't know! We were audited. A lot of notes were made. We were yelled at but not about specifics. We may or may not have a meeting next week about the results. I don't know, I don't care, and I have submitted applications to other potential employers as recommended in this thread.

Good advice, as always!

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Try being the only professional level guy in a 250 person organization who has any kind of a college degree. I have several. It was an engineering organization, 3 levels of management.

And I was always the outsider. Major reason I retired. Got tired of fighting people to get my job done, when they had no freaking idea of what was actually entailed.

I was praised by the navy captain in charge of the contract we were working for the navy. He captain told the facility manager to put me in charge because I was the only one who knew what the hell he was doing. And he did it in a room full of some 250 people.

Needless to say, that was the end of my career.

Try when "human resources" aka personnel comes around to 3rd or 4th level management and proceeds to tell them they have to get rid of so many people. And management does it in spite of the fact that the organization had signed and funded contracts for 3+ years in the future/

Yeah, I agree that many corporate morons have no freaking clue. They never worked a real job so . . . . . . .?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
The bigger the corp, the more the idiots. Wonder how the one I worked for ever made money. The one thing they had going for it is that I had a lot of really good coworkers who did good work and knew what they were doing.

Perhaps they made money the same way the ones I worked for made their money. The closed on the weekends./

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post