SIGforum
Woke? Who's Asleep?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/3420053754

May 31, 2019, 01:13 PM
fpuhan
Woke? Who's Asleep?
I was going to label this "WTF is Woke?" but we're supposed to refrain from profanity in subject lines. Anyway, I _know_ what is meant by the term "woke," but it's silly, stupid, overused and sounds like poor English every time I hear some snowflake, millennial or pundit say it. It's one of the buzz words of today. I get it. I still think it's stupid.

"Intersectional" is another. WTF is that supposed to mean? Everyone these days doesn't belong to just one splinter/identity group. They are now "intersectional." Give me a f*cking break!

The IT world isn't free of this inanity (hell, it might have even INVENTED it). Now I keep hearing "converged infrastructure" as if that were supposed to mean something. Really. Why not just say "centralized management" of IT resources?

Whatever happened to good, old, English?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
May 31, 2019, 02:14 PM
smschulz
The more you think about it the more pissed off and or confused you get … SO … better to just think about Scotch, Golf, Shooting or other positive thoughts... Smile
May 31, 2019, 02:47 PM
Ryanp225
Last week I was accused of "throwing shade" by my lgbtqys niece. Whatever the fuck that stupid nonsense is supposed to mean. All I said to her dad was that I could see the manufacturing sector in CO is definitely up thanks to President Trump.
We both just rolled our eyes at her and continued our conversation.
May 31, 2019, 02:53 PM
ZSMICHAEL
One could retaliate by using outdated slang. I recall the term cheap used to describe a whore in the early fifties. Use Far out in every sentence, followed by uptight and outta sight. See you later gator is another good one. They will get the point, but maybe not if they aren't hip.
May 31, 2019, 03:32 PM
K0ZZZ
"Far out, solid, and right on man..."

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.
May 31, 2019, 04:03 PM
spunk639
I’m more direct, “Fuck off you little pansy, try to be a fucking man, not a hybrid, pussy.”
May 31, 2019, 05:13 PM
zoom6zoom
"Woke" ain't the same as having your eyes open.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
May 31, 2019, 05:23 PM
arcwelder
"Woke" is indeed garbage. Fuck anyone who actually attributes meaning to the term.

"Mindfulness" people can also go get fucked.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

May 31, 2019, 05:52 PM
Sailor1911
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Last week I was accused of "throwing shade" by my lgbtqys niece. Whatever the fuck that stupid nonsense is supposed to mean. All I said to her dad was that I could see the manufacturing sector in CO is definitely up thanks to President Trump.

Well, if she was in the "thrown shade", wouldn't that mean that she must be in the dark? Seems logical to me.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
June 01, 2019, 05:00 AM
PHPaul
I prefer malaprop slang:

Farm Out, Right Arm, Squalid!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 01, 2019, 05:14 AM
nukeandpave
https://youtu.be/vBW6sCmzoZA
June 01, 2019, 06:18 AM
Fredward
Don't forget white privilege. We gots lots of that. "Wake a woke with some oak." Shampoo, that is.
June 01, 2019, 06:58 AM
Anush
I am Woke, I voted for Trump therefore I am socially aware!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
June 01, 2019, 10:20 AM
P250UA5
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:

The IT world isn't free of this inanity (hell, it might have even INVENTED it). Now I keep hearing "converged infrastructure" as if that were supposed to mean something. Really. Why not just say "centralized management" of IT resources?

Not just converged, we just put in hyperconverged at work Eek
I'm on the software side, so it's still a bit foreign to me.

The Enemy's gate is down.
June 03, 2019, 03:48 PM
highroundcount
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

Did you "clap back" MAGA?

I've noticed fuckin Fox news has taken to using this term, most of the time in reference to some twatter feud between two dimwits.

That term drives me to the edge I swear. Mad

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.
June 04, 2019, 02:31 AM
sigmonkey
23 and gone....

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
June 04, 2019, 08:35 AM
maximus_flavius
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
One could retaliate by using outdated slang. I recall the term cheap used to describe a whore in the early fifties. Use Far out in every sentence, followed by uptight and outta sight. See you later gator is another good one. They will get the point, but maybe not if they aren't hip.

I take this route often, because I’m hip. Pretty rad, eh? At least gnarly? Dynamite!
June 04, 2019, 12:56 PM
SBrooks
Friend of my daughters (took daughter and her to lunch today) kept using the word "extra" as an adjective about people she was discussing. her dad, some waiter at a place they ate last week, etc.

"He was extra" or "He's extra too"

I didn't really know what the heck she meant - just nodded my head and let her keep talking...

------------------
SBrooks
June 04, 2019, 01:36 PM
FN in MT
"metric".

I have heard that word used in all sorts of ways, generally with NO idea what they are talking about. Other than if it's referring to the metric system.
June 04, 2019, 01:41 PM
RAMIUS
I think it's the ultimate in Condescending.