SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Q: Why did Dennis wake up this morning dressed for 50 degrees?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q: Why did Dennis wake up this morning dressed for 50 degrees? Login/Join 
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted
A: Because his wife is 53 this year.

Last night, I dreamed that I was "snow camping," something I haven't done in about thirty years. The cold in the dream seemed so real, it woke me up.

And then, I realized that dream or not, it was probably sixty degree in the bedroom. Small room, efficient HVAC, and apparently she cranked the AC to near-arctic settings after I called it a night.

Even Katie the Norwegian Elkhound had retreated to the furthest corner from the AC registers in her canine quest to curl up and conserve warmth.

Not worth waking her up to argue about it in the middle of the night. The same wonders of biology that are sparking the "hot flashes" are also making her as emotionally unpredictable as Kim Jong-un after a bottle of Hennessy. Far less headache to just change at 2:00am and pretend I'm dressing out for a mid-winter run.

Cue to 8:18am: "Long sleeves and sweatpants? Were you cold?"

No. Not at all. I'll be outside moving the lawn before it gets hot.

Please, for the love of all that is holy. Please tell me this eventually ends.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately) I was drunk for the duration of my wife's journey through that particular hell.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, Bucko.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Not for quite some time I am afraid. Has been a year so far for me.

Good luck?!

I am pretty sure I came up with my signature line the day after it started!!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife left me during her menopause & I made the mistake of marrying a younger woman. Twice bitten!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the a/c down low plus 4 fans blowing on us all night.
I wake up congested every morning.
Mood swings aren't too bad. Doc gave her some kind of happy pills.

Posts: 949 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
My wife left me during her menopause & I made the mistake of marrying a younger woman. Twice bitten!

You just need to marry one young enough that you're dead by the time she goes through it.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not worth waking her up to argue about it in the middle of the night.

HaHaHa..yeah your best bet is to not say a word. Talk about poking the bear!
Having your own part of the house to sleep in and hang out in is whats worked best for me my dog and my cat.. Wink

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup. I put a king size bed in the top floor bedroom, and another in the finished basement. Separate thermostats, separate heat pumps.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'm taking notes here. My wife is 49.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Move to another bedroom and close the a/c register. Or, as soon as she falls asleep, put the thermostat back up to a reasonable number! OR, move the thermostat somewhere else and leave that one mounted in the same spot but not hooked to the a/c!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:

You just need to marry one young enough that you're dead by the time she goes through it.
Bahahahah +1000

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might want to figure out a way to bring up hormonal therapy in a conversation with her. Night sweats go away and there are other benefits too. My wife started this about 5 or 6 years ago, she will be 54 next January. Has blood work done before the injections to dial in what is needed. After starting you can pretty well tell when the next quarterly injection is needed.

Posts: 184 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lock up the butcher knives!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or, as soon as she falls asleep, put the thermostat back up to a reasonable number!

You are inviting trouble! But did you not know, it gets cooler faster when the thermostat is on 60 instead of 68!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
Might want to figure out a way to bring up hormonal therapy in a conversation with her. Night sweats go away and there are other benefits too. My wife started this about 5 or 6 years ago, she will be 54 next January. Has blood work done before the injections to dial in what is needed. After starting you can pretty well tell when the next quarterly injection is needed.

HRT is not without risks. And, eventually, she'll need to come off of them. So, you're just delaying the inevitable.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
My experiences:

After a hockey game we were leaving Pittsburgh on a frigid February when my mother dais "It's hot in here," and rolled down her window. My father didn't say anything, but let out a little sigh.

After about 15 minutes or so; our grandmother, my sister, & I were huddled together in the back seat for warmth. My father finally said "Honey, I have to turn on the defroster." The windshield was frosted on the inside.

Another episode occurred during a family dinner. My brother said, "Pass the salt." which then set my mother off on a tirade about manners & the lack thereof. She punctuated this by slamming the salt shaker down in front of my brother. During the lecture he had slowly sunk down in his chair while my sister & I quickly finished our plate regardless of any need for seasoning. My father (demonstrating strong survival skills) said, "Say 'Thank you' to your mother."

My mother did try HRT, but it made her "emotional unpredictability" MUCH WORSE.

Her menopause lasted about 2 yrs, so there is a tiny light at the end of the tunnel which may or may not be an oncoming train. Good luck.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm sure it ends. I'm pretty sure it ends with death, I'm still not sure if it is yours or hers.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must say my wife has not gone thru all the extremes I hear about others wives having.

The only time she changed for a while was when her mother died....well maybe that is when she went thru that?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
as emotionally unpredictable as Kim Jong-un after a bottle of Hennessy

bionic: married long enough that he tips hat and says, good one. Big Grin

bionic also: married long enough to shut his damn mouth and not say another word about it. Wink

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post