SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bristol (TN) Fair ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bristol (TN) Fair ... Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted
... doesn't want my business. After $5 to park in a grass field full of holes, I went up to the gate, looked it over and didn't see anything but a bunch of carnival rides. But the deal breaker was the "no guns or weapons" sign. If my lawful CCW and three-inch pocket knife aren't welcome, neither am I. I turned around and left. I don't remember any such nonsense at the Appalachian Fair when I went to it; in fact, this fairground has frequent gun shows.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Question: Does the "no guns" sign carry the force of law in your state? Or is it just a request, as it is here in Florida?

Here, it has no legal status. Worst that can happen is your concealed weapon is somehow discovered, maybe it was not as concealed as you thought it was, and management of the venue asks you to leave. If that happens, you either leave, or you face trespassing charges. No weapon-related infraction has incurred. Just trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked to.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Question: Does the "no guns" sign carry the force of law in your state? Or is it just a request, as it is here in Florida?

Here, it has no legal status. Worst that can happen is your concealed weapon is somehow discovered, maybe it was not as concealed as you thought it was, and management of the venue asks you to leave. If that happens, you either leave, or you face trespassing charges. No weapon-related infraction has incurred. Just trespassing if you refuse to leave when asked to.

That's the way it is in Wa state. I just ignore those signs and have never had a problem.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

That's the way it is in Wa state. I just ignore those signs and have never had a problem.

Jim

And this is why we have to be careful...

V-Tail asked the important question - do signs in TN carry the force of law. Jimbo54 did not.

The answer is, according to Gary, YES. Egregore did the right thing and avoided the criminal jeopardy of being discovered.

See here: http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

This is a republic, people.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Good for you!

I really showed 'em. Razz I thought about making a fuss, but there was no point at the time, with nothing but a minimum-wage ticket-taker at the gate.

quote:
Question: Does the "no guns" sign carry the force of law in your state?

Yes, unfortunately.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Was this the one by the Bristol Speedway?

We were in Bristol over the weekend and drove by it a couple of times. It did look a little sad. My thrill riding days are long gone. Might could still do a corndog though. Big Grin

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was this the one by the Bristol Speedway?

Yes.

Picture of Larry_K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

V-Tail asked the important question - do signs in TN carry the force of law. Jimbo54 did not.

The answer is, according to Gary, YES. Egregore did the right thing and avoided the criminal jeopardy of being discovered.

-Rob

The signs do have to meet a certain size criteria, and have some specific wording along with the TN code that allows them to ban firearms. I'd still treat any "no firearms allowed" sign as valid throughout 2017 though since any business that has had the sign up prior to Jan 1st 2015 is "grandfathered" in until Jan 1st 2018. They've changed the requirements of posting a few times since I got my permit 15 years ago. At one time a sign carried no legal weight IIRC.

Larry

Posts: 1295 | Location: West Tennessee | Registered: August 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

Jim

-Rob

Did you even read my post?! I stated that V-Tails comment regarding legal status in Florida is the same here in Wa. Get over yourself!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In response to Larry_K: the sign was not prominently displayed. The "no guns/weapons" was on a sign with the list of other fair rules, and not even at the top, but about fifth or sixth, IIRC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,