SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USAA Froze my Bank Accounts!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA Froze my Bank Accounts! Login/Join 
posted
Friday morning at 9:55 I purchased a computer on Dell's website using my USAA debit card. The USAA verification process allowed the transaction. I had a prearranged call at 10:00am to a CPA in Dallas to discuss a mutual client. Unknown to me while I was on the phone, USAA called my cell phone & sent an email to additionally verify the transaction. At 10:45am I completed my business call & checked my email. OK, I thought, I can fix this with a phone call. Nope, frozen was my checking account, my savings account, my USAA Visa, my USAA American Express, my wife's USAA Visa, my wife's USAA American Express, my wife's login was blocked & my POA for my wife was wiped from their computer. After speaking with 8 different individuals, all is now frozen until Wed & I have to resubmit a notorized POA! Luckily I deal with more than one bank, but I am done with USAA. What should have been fixed in a few minutes has left me with a bad taste. It seems the USAA Fraud Department has the final say and the policy is to freeze everything for 3 business days.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4247 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Last month, I entered a password incorrectly on the SunTrust Bank website. I did it more than once and the bastages locked me out of online access. Not so bad, you say? Online Bill Pay, no access. Write a paper check? Yeah, but first I want to verify funds in the account. SunTrust had nagged me into going with online statements, instead of paper statements.

OK, I'll take time to go to a branch. Sat on my kosher ass in the waiting area for about an hour, waiting my turn to see a customer NO-Service rep, who told me that I needed to contact the online people. Catch-22 here, I need to be able to log in, in order to send a "secure message."

He told me how to raise somebody on "chat" without logging in. OK, I chatted EVERY DAY, for a whole week. Each chat session resulted in a promise to get everything straightened out within 24 hours. Of course, that never happened.

After a week of this, I marched back in to the branch, asked how much the balance was in each account (one business account and two personal accounts), and said, "OK, give it to me. Now."

Branch manager came out and asked if I would like to come into her office. I answered with one word: "NO!"

Walked across the driveway in the same parking lot to a different bank, sat down, opened new accounts, and we're off and running.

Fuck SunTrust.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30534 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Way too many eggs in one basket.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4210 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last month, I entered a password incorrectly on the SunTrust Bank website. I did it more than once and the bastages locked me out of online access. Not so bad, you say? Online Bill Pay, no access. Write a paper check? Yeah, but first I want to verify funds in the account. SunTrust had nagged me into going with online statements, instead of paper statements.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have had this happen before with a bank. Locked out until next business day. I deal with MANY government and insurance sites on a daily basis. ALL of them have security features that allow a password reset. I wonder why some of the banks are not up to speed on this. Many of these sites use two factor authentication or have 24 hour coverage to allow resets.

They seem to outsource this sort of thing to the cheapest bidder. If anyone has a better answer I would like to know.

I have a pretty good relationship with the branch manager which has helped in the past with other matters. I do not blame you for moving the account. My accounts are business related and it would literally take hours of my time to work with all the automatic drafts etc, not to mention electronic deposits from numerous sources.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Gawd I like being a dinosaur. Sons can't imagine how I can live using cash. Easy, if I've got the money, I can spend it. If I don't, no transaction. I have never in my life used a credit card or debit card to pay for a meal. We go out to eat a lot, but I pay cash. No one refuses cash...yet.

I had the problem V-tail had, sort of. Long ago. I'd adopted a plan of every payday depositing my paycheck in my savings. Then transferring the amount I needed to pay my bills to my checking account. But then the calls started. I was overdrawn. Pissed me off big time. But that was the early days, like maybe 1976 and the banks hadn't figured out how to transfer money between accounts reliably.

So I took my machine generated receipt with me to work the next day, took a photocopy of it, and went to the bank, madder than all hell. One rule of dealing with banks is they don't allow you to talk to anyone with the authority to solve a problem (that they caused.) Another rule when dealing with idiots, or anyone that might be one, is never let them have your original receipt, hence the photocopy.

That pisses off the underlings, and really pisses them when you tell them the reason - that you don't trust them. Simple. And after way too long I finally got to speak to someone who might have been able to solve it, but wouldn't to my satisfaction. I wanted them to write letters to each of the folks I bounced checks on, but they said they wouldn't do that. So I said OK, but I need to withdraw all my money and take the cash to the people and pay them off. They really didn't like that approach and tried to refuse my my money.

I used simple logic, if they bounced my chedks, they weren't going to honor them. Besides, I still had plenty more. So I closed my savings and my checking accounts, walked down the street and opened accounts at a more dependable bank. Oh, they didn't like that line either. But it was fun to do. I'd do it again, too, with the proper motivation. There's something really satisfying about doing that to a bank.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anush has a timely rant!
Thursday someone in Louisiana used a cloned copy of my debit card in a vending machine. $1.50 was the charge.
Bank caught it and immediately refunded the charge. The bank knew it was a fraudulent action. I have alerts on the the account to notify me when this occurs. Did the bank call, text or e-mail about this? Nope. When I did my usual daily check of my account, I see the bad activity and call them. The usual, we dont give a shit about this, spiel than takes place. I ask them to overnight a new card to me. They refuse. Looks like 4 or 5 days until I can get card access to my money. If I want or need money, I have to go to the bank to get it. Which, in this wondrous electronic age, is nothing but a PITA.
So.... No one gives a damn about this? Ok, fine!
But when it does occur, give me the ability to get a new card, on the spot, in the branch office, right this motherscratching minute and not have to wait until you get around to mailing a new card to me!
You know, so I can access MY OWN MONEY! Mad Mad

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15991 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
No one refuses cash...yet.

^^^^^
Thanks to problems with money laundering, brokerage firms will not take cash deposits. I had to go back and get checks from my office. A few doctors offices are skittish about that as well.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
That's why I almost always use a credit card for everything, and have backups through different banks.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's what I thought when I tried to "Break" a $100 bill at a Chase branch in Tucson. Please give me a 50, two 20's and a 10, I asked.

But...since I didn't have an account with that branch, they refused my request.

Months later, when VW bought my TDI and paid off the Chase bank loan, I severed all ties with Chase. I told the manager to never contact me.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
That's why I almost always use a credit card for everything, and have backups through different banks.

Yup, credit card only for purchase, in person or online.

Run up my card, IDGAF if its fraud, its fraud and coming off. If the hack the card, they only freeze that card - not my entire financial lifeline.

And if you only have one bank, you are doing it wrong.

I get the 'cash is king' and it can work if you never leave the small town you live in or are retired, but if you operate in the modern world for business, you have to have credit cards.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The only good place to park your money is a credit union. I have been with mine since 1964 even though I have moved around the country. I always found a place that would cash checks.

Several weeks ago, I tried to deposit $3100 in postal money orders to my Capital One credit card account. The teller wouldn't accept them since I did not have a checking account there.

OK, I understand your authority so I asked to speak to a Manager. The Manager was on the phone and for what I could understand, he was planning his weekend with his wife. After waiting over 10 minutes, I left. They have lost my business.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've learned over the years that if they make a mistake of epic proportions and argue with you to rectify it, time to leave.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8065 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:

Tell that to the Florida Department of Revenue.

I went to their office to clear up a problem re Unemployment Tax that I pay for the part-time dude who works for me in my business. Turned out that they thought I owed them some money. I did not, but the amount was small enough that it was not worth debating, so I pulled out my wallet.

Nope, they do not accept cash. I did not have any business checks with me. They do accept plastic, but they add a fee for processing credit card payments.
Try renting a car with cash.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30534 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The only good place to park your money is a credit union. I have been with mine since 1964 even though I have moved around the country. I always found a place that would cash checks.

Several weeks ago, I tried to deposit $3100 in postal money orders to my Capital One credit card account. The teller wouldn't accept them since I did not have a checking account there.

OK, I understand your authority so I asked to speak to a Manager. The Manager was on the phone and for what I could understand, he was planning his weekend with his wife. After waiting over 10 minutes, I left. They have lost my business.

Some credit unions are okay, others behave about the same as banks. As mentioned earlier, don't keep all the eggs in one basket. Use a couple separate credit unions, separate credit cards, and separate insurance. When one screws up, you have backup options.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Yup...phukking banks. Been with Chase Bank or its predecessors for YEARS and YEARS...over 30. I opened a savings account with the Credit Union that is sponsored through my airline and transferred a truckload of savings into that new account.

Guess what? Right after that occurred, my cell phone has been EXPLODING weekly with calls from Chase Bank letting me know they are there for anything I need and other calls about special offers. Didn't hear from you for over 30 years and NOW you think I'm an important customer?? Sit on a broom handle and rotate, you friggin' idiots!

As to USAA, and not for banking, is it worth my time to get a quote for homeowner's and auto insurance from them?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11048 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The only good place to park your money is a credit union.
Some credit unions are okay, others behave about the same as banks.
A lot of this depends on the staff at the branch.

When I opened my accounts at a local credit union, the staff was great. The branch manager set the tone, leadership by example, and it was a pleasant place to do business. Friendly "Hi, Mr. V-Tail" when I walked in, if not too busy, the teller would come around the counter to say hello to my dog and give her a treat.

The manager left to go out on her own and open an insurance agency (where she saved me BIG money in annual premiums). The new manager was a hostile, belligerent, chip-on-her-shoulder bitch, whose attitude soon caused all of the good staff people at the branch to quit. I moved to a different credit union, and it's back to "Hi, Mr. V-Tail" when I walk into the branch.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

As to USAA, and not for banking, is it worth my time to get a quote for homeowner's and auto insurance from them?
Couldn't hurt to check, but I have received the best service, best policy coverage, and lowest premiums, when using an independent insurance agent -- one who works for the customer, not for the insurance company.

See my preceding post.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's certainly worth getting a quote, they seem to have pretty quick turnaround but they couldn't / wouldn't insure my home (too many acres) and I dumped their auto policy when my son started driving.

Their auto insurance agents must have graduated from selling used cars, because the 2 I talked to while cancelling certainly gave off that vibe. But before that I had used them for auto for oh 15+ years and it was fine service, but the prices creeped up steadily and I'm a firm believer that USAA is starting to be a victim of it's own success (ie, growing too large and letting anyone and their relatives join).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Some credit unions are okay, others behave about the same as banks. As mentioned earlier, don't keep all the eggs in one basket. Use a couple separate credit unions, separate credit cards, and separate insurance. When one screws up, you have backup options.

I am sure that is true about Credit Unions. I had an account with the Fairfax County Credit Union for several years but their fees and required savings account didn't provide any savings for me.

Credit cards are all a game with the fees priced in the items we buy so I go along with their game. They also have an advantage of getting your money back when someone tries to rip you off.

I have four cards and use them to my advantage on offered discounts at the time. It also provides a record of where your money is spent and how much. At one time, I paid only with cash.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:

As V-Tail mentioned, can't hurt.

I hunt with two guys - one a very successful insurance salesman (business insurance) and another way up the ladder with an insurance company. They both rave about USAA and their claim service. Only downside - you have to qualify or have a qualifying family member (who was also a customer).

We switch a few years ago and have had good experiences. My daughter had nothing but run arounds - she dropped them and went with an independent broker. I don't think they are the cheapest... consistently highly rated by Consumer Reports (if that means anything).

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4886 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post