SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Does Anybody Proof Read This Stuff Before It's Published?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anybody Proof Read This Stuff Before It's Published? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
quote:
From an biographical blurb:

spent his childhood and teenage years in several countries, from Dakar, to Caracas, Buenos Aires, Milan and Rome.
Yup, those are all countries. Every one of them. Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
We just need more maps...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not proofreading you are asking for. That is a general lack of intelligence. Steve Allen used to do the Man on the Street. We need to bring it back to show how stupid the average American can be.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
That is not proofreading you are asking for. That is a general lack of intelligence. Steve Allen used to do the Man on the Street. We need to bring it back to show how stupid the average American can be.
Both, actually.

The writer was an idiot, true, but these biographical notes should have been proofread before publishing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jay Leno did "Jay walking" during his late night show. Lot's of laughs during that show.

Funniest was the female "College Grad" who thought Korea was the capital city of North Dakota.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The writer was an idiot, true, but these biographical notes should have been proofread before publishing.

Apparently the greater public does not care. Our local news available online has a printed story which is computer generated. It does offer a few laughs from time to time. It accurately produces a phonetic representation of whatever the citizen or news anchor may be saying. Running up the HEEL instead of hill is one example. My mother was a newspaper editor so I heard all about this. It drives me crazy.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

It's ironic that your gripe is about proofreading. Smile

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Apparently the greater public does not care. Our local news available online has a printed story which is computer generated. It does offer a few laughs from time to time. It accurately produces a phonetic representation of whatever the citizen or news anchor may be saying. Running up the HEEL instead of hill is one example. My mother was a newspaper editor so I heard all about this. It drives me crazy.

At one commercial Radio station I worked at we had newsmen who would "Rip and read" off the UPI teletype machine without scanning it for typo's.
UPI had the habit of inserting a late ball score into a news line.

Carter was POTUS at the time, and this newsman was reading a statement that Carter made during a press conference.....

"President Carter was in Washington today and during a press conference he sent a message to Moscow, he told the Soviet Premier Phillies 5, Cubs 2....."

He kept on reading it while we were laughing our asses off.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks for the laugh. I remember when the Sports Anchor on SNL read the scores and omitted the names of the teams that were playing.

posted Hide Post
Proof-reading is a dying art. I'm now beginning to see sentences that start with "him and his friend..." in print.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

[FLASH_VIDEO]

Mkay? Anybody have a Blond to English dictionary I can borrow?

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Anybody have a Blond to English dictionary I can borrow?
The pages are all blank.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
It's ironic that your gripe is about proofreading. Smile
There's just a teensy bit of difference between a minor typo and an assertion that Dakar, Caracas, Buenos Aires, Milan and Rome are all countries.

Are you a blonde?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Oh, okay. So there are levels of allowable errors. Got it.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Spell check ≠ proof reading, but it seems few understand that now.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Oh, okay. So there are levels of allowable errors. Got it.
Nah, I stand corrected. There is no difference between a minor type and an incorrect factual assertion. No difference at all. Got it. Roll Eyes

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
And they VOTE.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

That was painful.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Few years back our local rag had a story about a guy getting robbed in the park in town at 2:00 in the morning.... in the article they interviewed the chief of police and he explained that it seems this certain area was where gay men hung out at night to meet other gay men (sorry I had to write it that way).... the chief then went on to explain how this was a problem for law enforcement with all the trouble down there early in the a.m. they finally quoted the chief and I'm not making this up:

"it's gotten so bad that you can't go down there and have a good time with out being propositioned."

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget that the IQ of 50% of the population is below average.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post