SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    HDCP 2.2?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HDCP 2.2? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Not sure if others are seeing this.....

I have a new-ish Sony TV (UHD that I bought 2-3 years ago I think) and a new-ish Pioneer Elite (SC-75) receiver. Amazon FireTV (version 2?) feeding content.

I was going to watch Bosch S3 in UHD. But I get a message that either my receiver or my TV (or both?) don't support HDCP2.2 so I can't watch in UHD. Nevermind that I purposely bought the Sony and Pioneer to be capable of watching UHD content.

I watched Bosch and other shows in UHD last year. Now suddenly I need HDCP2.2?

I don't even know what version is supported on my TV or receiver. I checked firmware and it's up to date -- so I'm guessing now HDCP 2.2 support.

So, after 2-3 years, my new $$$$ TV and/or receiver are now obsolete and I can't watch UHD anymore?

WTF?? Is this expected? What's the lifespan of electronics these days given this? I'm not a criminal, I just want to watch a show for which I'm entitled on products for which I paid.

I get that there are pirates out there. I don't support them. But I guess I'm sure going to pay for them doing whatever bad things they do. This is why I don't support or encourage family and friends to take advantage of pirated content.

Fuck. I'm not sure what to do at this point. HDCP and the people that drove the need for things like it can go fuck themselves.

ETA: seems like my TV is capable. So I'll see if I can route video to tv from FireTV directly and route multi channel audio to the receiver (from FireTV or via TV?).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You have a legitimate complaint.
Sorry. Frown
Some advancements of technology improve things and others like this are based on greed or is it the Fed Gov't trying to watch you? Eek

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Not sure if others are seeing this.....

I have a new-ish Sony TV (UHD that I bought 2-3 years ago I think) and a new-ish Pioneer Elite (SC-75) receiver. Amazon FireTV (version 2?) feeding content.

I was going to watch Bosch S3 in UHD. But I get a message that either my receiver or my TV (or both?) don't support HDCP2.2 so I can't watch in UHD. Nevermind that I purposely bought the Sony and Pioneer to be capable of watching UHD content.

I watched Bosch and other shows in UHD last year. Now suddenly I need HDCP2.2?

I don't even know what version is supported on my TV or receiver. I checked firmware and it's up to date -- so I'm guessing now HDCP 2.2 support.

So, after 2-3 years, my new $$$$ TV and/or receiver are now obsolete and I can't watch UHD anymore?

WTF?? Is this expected? What's the lifespan of electronics these days given this? I'm not a criminal, I just want to watch a show for which I'm entitled on products for which I paid.

I get that there are pirates out there. I don't support them. But I guess I'm sure going to pay for them doing whatever bad things they do. This is why I don't support or encourage family and friends to take advantage of pirated content.

Fuck. I'm not sure what to do at this point. HDCP and the people that drove the need for things like it can go fuck themselves.

ETA: seems like my TV is capable. So I'll see if I can route video to tv from FireTV directly and route multi channel audio to the receiver (from FireTV or via TV?).

If you just pirated it you could watch in UHD with no issues.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
The only suggestions I have (beyond hours of reading on AVS forum):

A) Make sure your HDMI cables are the newer "certified" 18 GBPS rated type. 4K can be very picky about cabling.

B) Look into a company called HD Fury, their products are designed to fix the HDCP version mismatches.

HDMI is a pain in the ass but HDCP is spawn of the devil. I'm running a 1080P Panasonic plasma via Marantz AV7702mkII processor that is HDCP 2.2 compliant. My Oppo Blu-ray and Toshiba HD DVD players have had no issues but my TiVo and Mac mini have been a bitch just to frickin' see a 1080P picture.I ended up buying a HDMI splitter that strips HDCP just for the TiVo so the SOB would proffer a picture coming out of standby. Perhaps by the time I'm ready to spring for another TV they'll have the 4K issues worked out but I'm in no hurry for that self abuse.

HDCP specs are supposed to be backwards compatible but in real life there's no rhyme or reason as to what functions or fails. If I ever meet the jackass who engineered HDCP I will absolutely kick him square in the nuts. Mad Repeatedly.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Directv rolled out some form of anti pirating software into their platform a year or so ago, I would constantly get cut off mid show stating that my TV wasn't compatible with their anti pirate bullshit software.

Basically I would need to buy RGB cables to hook to my televisions for the privilege of watching the content I was paying Directv to see. A call to them never resulted in a suggestion to change cables, had to find that with google.

Of course dealing with Nambu in India didn't help, "Here sir I am helping with you"

Only none of my new TV's have RGB, they have coax and HDMI ports, so the solution was, buy a new tv basically.

Ended up replacing the HDMI cables, actually just moved them from one set that was working to another and it fixed the problem, strangely enough the cable that was the problem on one tv wasn't on another.

F- Directv for making me deal with this bs as I write them a check and I"m not pirating signals and reselling tv shows online.

Posts: 23419 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay, after fumbling through manuals and the webz, I think I figured out at least a temporarily solution (at least until the next HDCP update).

I connected the FireTV directly to my Sony TV on HDMI port 1. And using optical for audio (HDMI from FireTV to TV; optical from TV to receiver).

Then maintained my blu-ray and cable tv connection through the receiver to the TV HDMI port 2.

Kinda cumbersome, especially for wife, to switch back and forth. But it seems like it's a workable solution for now. I can't see the receiver controls on screen (volume level, digital audio setting, etc) while using FireTV anymore. But I can manage.

Even though I've been able to workaround this, HDCP and the like still sucks. Terrorists, pirates, identity thieves, etc -- they not only affect the immediate victims but indirectly in the daily lives of the rest of in substantial ways. TSA, malware, virus scanners, encryption, .....

I swear whatever punishments we're (the authorities / governments that be) giving to these bad guys is NOT enough, certainly not as a deterrent and not as a way to limit growth of these acts.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
The only suggestions I have (beyond hours of reading on AVS forum):

A) Make sure your HDMI cables are the newer "certified" 18 GBPS rated type. 4K can be very picky about cabling.

B) Look into a company called HD Fury, their products are designed to fix the HDCP version mismatches.

That's another peeve about all this: the issue could have been network bandwidth, cable, HDCP versions (which device?), etc. Generic error message is pitiful for these tech giants. I can be somewhat tech savvy but this is ridiculous. I feel sorry for non-tech savvy folks who need to figure this out.

I'll keep HD Fury in mind for the next time (I'm sure this is not the end). I also found this that seems pretty well received: https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Picture of DsWright
posted Hide Post
Most tv's only have 1 HDCP 2.2 compliant port. Typically that port is the only port that works with 4k devices.

And for the Above poster about the directv issue with HDCP. Blame the government who forced it upon them.

BTW, HDCP protocol basically performs a "handshake" with whatever device it connects to, so that it insures an uninterrupted data stream. Basically the FCC requires it in Modern cable boxes.

Typical government solution to "piracy".

and like most government solutions, a simple $20 powered HDMI splitter defeats it entirely allowing multiple devices to share the same signal. The box handshakes with the powered splitter thinking it's the TV.

As far as the HDCP 2.2, it is the 4K version of HDCP.

Posts: 1096 | Registered: January 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
HDCP is the very thing I've been on about for years, warning folks about it when they saw the latest special on 4k tv's at the stores. I still won't buy one for several years and I want to. HDCP means a new tuner, new tv, so the tuner or switch, will need multiple hdcp ports. TV manus chinze in many instances and just put one. Audio tuners, you might get two. Typical early adoption bs. They never standardize early. VHS/Beta, Bluray/hd-dvd. HDMI ports, HDCP, the manus argue and fight. Customer gets left holding the bag...

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12624 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
every piece in the chain has to be 2.2 compliant. Very likely your receiver is not 2.2 compliant. Nothing you want to watch in UHD or 4k UHD bluray will ever work through your receiver.

You can go straight to the TV and then hopefully send the bitstream audio back to the receiver somehow.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
We have 5k and 8k content coming. How much longer before every TV/receiver bought in the last few years is obsolete?

SW is rendering expensive HW obsolete ahead of its time. Who's going to pay for this?