SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Oops. Shoulda used my indoor voice...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops. Shoulda used my indoor voice... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Grocery shopping. Xmas Musak over the speakers. About the third time "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" came on, I said (out loud, apparently...) "If I hear that song one more time I'm gonna puke"

Mommy and Precious on the other side of the aisle from me were NOT impressed.

They'd have been even LESS impressed if I hadn't had the presence of mind to reword what I was actually thinking before it came out of my mouth.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good job on making it profanity free

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks, but I think I might have strained something with the effort. Big Grin

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst part of Christmas is Christmas music EVERYWHERE.... there’s only like 10 songs so it’s the same 10 songs everywhere you go starting at the beginning of November

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Worked for a independent pharmacy, during the 8 track tape era. At Christmas they would put a tape in and change it when they got a chance. Same songs over and over, it’s a wonder that I didn’t kill myself or someone else.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Having worked retail for several years I can tell you that anyone who thinks it gets easier with time - isn't me.

Wouldn't be a waste of tax dollars to fund a study regarding holiday music and suicide rates IMHO.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Having worked retail for several years I can tell you that anyone who thinks it gets easier with time - isn't me.

Wouldn't be a waste of tax dollars to fund a study regarding holiday music and suicide rates IMHO.

My last job before slipping into Blessed Retirement was in-store sales at a lumber/hardware outfit. Corporate subscribed to an outfit that put together a mix of "music" and ads that were piped to every store via the innerwebz. We had no choice whatever in the situation.

By the end of an 8 hour shift between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was ready to tear the arm off anybody that wished me a Merry Christmas and beat him/her to death with it.

Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I kind of like Christmas music. It makes you feel good. Better than a lot of that other shit they play were you can't even understand the words being sung...IMHO

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I like a nice quiet store.

Pretty easy, I just turn down the boost on my hearing aids. In extreme cases I can mute them.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I kind of like Christmas music. It makes you feel good.

I'm with you, UW.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I heard Santa Baby, Hey Santa, and Favorite Things 5x each at work the other day. The company's radio calls what they play a holiday shuffle.

It may shuffle for the customers who spend 5 to 30 minutes in the store. But all the employees already hate christmas and december hasnt started yet.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Back when I was in my 20's I used to drive from Portland back to my parents' place in Boise for Christmas every year. I'd leave here early in the morning and for most of the trip listen to Christmas music on the AM radio station in Pasco WA. They'd start playing the stuff a couple, maybe a few days before Christmas, and it was nice to listen to for a few hours.

Fast forward a few years, and I started hearing 24-hour Christmas music in mid-December. Then it wasn't long before it would start on Black Friday. REALLY??? I think there are about ten thousand different renditions of Winter Wonderland out there, and I heard them all in the first week. After that it was repetition ad nauseam.

So this year I got a new car and it came with a 12-month Sirius XM trial subscription. One of the channels I had set up in my presets, a soft rock channel, suddenly became all-Christmas-music-all-the-time. When did that happen, you ask? Right after frigging HALLOWEEN, that's when! It took about 20 minutes before I started just skipping over that one. Roll Eyes

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I kind of like Christmas music. It makes you feel good.

I'm with you, UW.

I don't object to Christmas music, per se.

I object to the sappy Christmas music - which is well over half of it.

I object to Christmas played ad nauseum from Thanksgiving on.

And the fact that there are only about ten or twelve songs in most rotations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How would you like to work at a commercial AM radio station that played Christmas music beginning December 1. The same damn Christmas music every day. Each year.

I would sometimes break up the monotony by playing Stan Frieberg's "Green Christmas" which was good for a nasty note to me from the station manager.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
And the fact that there are only about ten or twelve songs in most rotations.

Simply... having... a wonderful Christmastime *ching ching ching*

Last Christmas, I gave you my heart... The very next day... You gave it away

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder what would possess someone to pose for those two photos? Not all that humorous.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
The worst part of Christmas is Christmas music EVERYWHERE.... there’s only like 10 songs so it’s the same 10 songs everywhere you go starting at the beginning of November

What's EVEN worse than that are the horrible remakes of the crappy original Christmas songs like that Adam Sandler one. UUUUGGGHHH

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Either I'm hard of hearing or gifted. I rarely hear music in stores or restaurants. Maybe I just tune it out I don't know. Confused

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Christmas music in general makes me the opposite of cheery. Just has bad connotations for me.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post