SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annual Car Insurance Increase
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual Car Insurance Increase Login/Join 
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I went through the Dave Ramsey website for insurance quotes. I saved over $1000/year on homeowners, and umbrella. Auto insurance was approximately $500/year savings on two vehicles. There was no changes in coverage.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
State Farm only has 6-month auto policies, so rates can change every 6 months.

Besides driver-specific factors, there is a factor that reflects the amount of claims in your area or state.

Allstate goes up ever 6 month (auto) home owners went up 400 in one year, it’s getting really old.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any issues with rates or claims with Mercury for 30+ years.

I have no idea if they are the cheapest but for me the rates are reasonable and the level of service has met expectations.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I just had a 6MO premium increase of $437 and after calling my agent to inquire, he checks and said there was a claim from 05/10/17 on their records with an 05'Jeep Cherokee listed with my wife. I called her and she said no tickets or accidents. Additionally, she drives a 14' Pathfinder, so I returned another call to my agent and said it's got to be a mistake. After about 30min of him digging into it, my wife called me back and said she might have been at fault as she now remembers driving a Jeep Cherokee of an elderly woman and got a slight scratch trying to park it in a lot someplace...AAARRGGghhh

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
I just spoke with my Satefarm agent and told her I "might be" cancelling my policies this Monday. She told me they don't like to see clients go. She said that her manager already called their district manager and informed them about potentially losing more clients. Upper management couldn't do anything.

Oh well. I have appointment tomorrow morning with AAA agent. If th rates will be the SAME as my current company, then I will stay with Statefarm. If the rates will be significantly less, then good bye Statefarm.

That is nuts. They keep the bad drivers and drive away the people they make easy money off from.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thought I would resurrect this thread. Six months ago I dumped State Farm and switched to AAA.

I just got first renewal and my premium is up 10%. No tickets, no claims, no accidents.

I called AAA and they actually told me that the State of Illinois *mandated* the increase. In fact, the guy said they are required by the State to increase rates every year! What utter nonsense.

Anyway, my first thought is to start looking again but was wondering if it's going to be an issue for me if I switch carriers again so soon. Anyone have any knowledge about this?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
I would think cable companies, internet and cell providers would do the same - expect your loyal customers to get the nest deals. But nope its all about the new sales.....

quote:
Originally posted by ador:
You would think that insurance companies will give a "loyal client" a break and not raise your rates, instead of losing a client?

If I pull out my car insurance from StateFarm today, that will be $428 a month of premium they will not be getting. Plus, if I pull out my home insurance, life insurance and college fund, they will be losing more money. wouldn't it be a smarter move for them NOT to increase the rate?

Or I guess it doesn't really matter to them. Confused

When I called AAA to inquire, the agent knew exactly why I was trying to get a quote. They knew that StateFarm had increased their rates recently across the board, as they have been getting a lot of request for quotes these past few days.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bjor13:
I would think cable companies, internet and cell providers would do the same - expect your loyal customers to get the nest deals. But nope its all about the new sales.....

Yep. You would think so, but I learned that's not the case with both Allstate (10+ years, zero claims) and GEICO (10+ years, zero claims).

But, every six months I get an increase. I am not sitting for this any longer. If I have to shop for coverage every 6 months or every year, I'll do so. I'm tired of being gouged.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Auto Owners insurance.

We have all our policies with an independent agent who initially had all our policies with Allstate. About 5 years ago he calls us to come in and explains that Allstate had a huge increase and reccomended going to Auto Owners which saved us about $200 a year.
A year and a half ago my wife hit a deer while driving the Porsche...almost $7000 in damage but no price increase.

We have two homes and 4 cars with them.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I went through this and was resigned to shopping for a new policy every six months. My latest quote actually decreased the price just a tad, so I'll be re-upping with Travelers.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold back my 2015 VW Golf TDI to VW one year ago and haven't bought a replacement car....yet.

I ride the motorcycle or use the SunTran bus. (0.75 for a two hour ride with ticket transfer), plus I live across the street from a large food supermarket. GF takes me shopping whenever I need to buy something large or heavy.

I find that I don't need a car....or high insurance rate, or high registration fee or a bank payment.

BMW motorcycle (52MPG) State Farm insurance rate is under $500 a year, which is fine with me.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
State Farms motorcycle is so expensive, I would not add it to our other auto and home insurance, but went with Geico.

Today I called Geico to cancel one of the motorcycles off the plan as I sold that bike last October and forgot to cancel.

When I put that bike on, they charged me 185/year. I questioned that as it is an older bike.
But they claimed it was a hi performance bike.
When I cancelled today, they only dropped the price less than 100$.

When I asked if I could get the rate lowered if I only drove less than X number of miles a year, they said they did not care how many miles I put on a year.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been interesting reading the various theories on rate setting. They are mostly wrong.

The worst omission is, coincidentally, the use of CREDIT SCORE or its proxy. Give this a read if you want a shocker on the magnitude of this one factor.

https://www.consumerreports.or...ance-rates/index.htm

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

State Farm for me (house and cars). My rate for my Tacoma one year ago dropped ~$20, six months ago dropped ~$10, and the bill I just received is down another ~$10. I believe there are lots of factors involved here, including what your state'e insurance commission will allow.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Trying to compare rates, especially for motorcycle coverage is tough. Many fail to balance the comparison. In many cases, medical coverage is not included.

Finding out after a mva that they don't cover medical is a tough nut. In some cases, existing healthcare policies specifically exclude coverage for motor vehicle incidents. checking closely is wish.

quote:
When I cancelled today, they only dropped the price less than 100$

Probably because you lost part of a multipart discount. same thing happened when I dropped one of the SUV's.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
It's been interesting reading the various theories on rate setting. They are mostly wrong.

The worst omission is, coincidentally, the use of CREDIT SCORE or its proxy. Give this a read if you want a shocker on the magnitude of this one factor.

I have been with Allstate since 1992. Yesterday I switched from the old pricing to a new credit score based plan with 50 tiers of risk. It dropped my premium about $1800 a year.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8214 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:

Useful article, thanks for including that. I wonder if credit scores affect our home and health insurance as well.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You should shop rates yearly, it's a PIA and don't simply trust the same agent over and over ask others and do some online checking.

Rates do change every year companies change them based on experience in claims, if a pattern changes in your area to show more claims for homes, or cars, motorcycles overall they change rates either up or down.

As long as you have a good rated company and compare similar rates on same coverage you are doing the smart thing.

Also re-evaluate your coverages, if you have a 15 year old pickup with full coverage consider moving it to liability only if the reduction is worth it.

Posts: 23386 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Same reason I dumped Allstate a half-dozen (or more?) years ago...every time our annual policy for home/auto/umbrella came up for renewal there'd be a not-insignificant increase. Every. Single. Time. ...and most of it was tied to the automotive, though we had no tickets, claims, accidents, etc. So I shopped around, and ended up going with MetLife, and have been very pleased with the little service I've needed and the lack of substantive increases each year.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I got married, we used the same insurance I had already had, and it jumped a bit to have another driver. then when we got a second car, it wanted to nearly double.

We shopped around a bit, but most rates weren't fantastic. We found e-surance, and it was most competitive. Of course, we were under 25, but when I was the policy holder, the price was around $95 a month, IIRC. So I tried putting my wife's SSN as the policy holder, and me as an authorized driver, and it dropped us to around $55 a month. It's gone up a bit since then, but more like $2 or $4 every six month renewal.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post