SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Annual Car Insurance Increase
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual Car Insurance Increase Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
We have been with State Farm for over 10 years now. We have multiple policies (4 vehicles with Full Coverage, Life Insurance, Home Owner's Insurance and College Fund). We get that "multiple vehicle and safe driver discount". Great. But, for the past three consecutive years, our vehicle insurance keep going up. Just received a letter that my multiple vehicle insurance monthly premium is going up by $28/month, starting this month. That is $336 increase for an entire year of coverage.

We only had 2 small claims in the past 10+ years. One was to replace a rear bumper skin cover on our 2012 Honda Civic. We paid Out of Pocket Deductible of $500. Total claim from the repair was less than 2K. The other claim was for a dented door, when my wife backed into a car at a Costco parking lot. The claim to fix the dent was again, less than 2K.

Then, there is this letter we get from State Farm asking us how much mileage we use "per year". All vehicles are driven less than 10K miles per year. For example, the 2012 Honda Civic only has 40,200 miles. The 2012 VW GTI only have 46,000 miles. The 2005 SUV only has 62,000 miles. What does the insurance company want? For us to pay insurance, and for us not to use the car?

We just got another letter stating that they will "re-evaluate" or driving mileage before the renewal date of our policy.

I think it is time to shop around for a new insurance carrier. A good friend of mine also HAD StateFarm. He just switched to AAA auto insurance for the same reason I stated above.

Rant off.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Definitely shop around. Our car insurance has gone done over the years. Hell my wife's brand new Nissan ended up being $10 less than her 7yr old Subaru that was totaled.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Insurers want an accurate assessment of mileage to determine the risk of possibility for getting into an accident. The more you drive, the more at risk you are for being involved in a collision.

Additionally, the type of car you drive is factored into the rate. Not necessarily because it’s a sporty car, but if it’s a popular car there are more of them involved in accidents. That’s one of the factors insurers use. It’s fucked up but that’s how it works.

You could be the best driver in the world, but if there are two million of your car on the road your rate will be higher because that car is more likely to be involved in an accident.

I’m horrible for staying accident free and I drive a more powerful car than my V6 Mustang but it’s an incredibly rare car so my rate is ridiculously lower because less people are driving them.

Another example: a guy I follow on YouTube drives a Lamborghini Gallardo but his yearly rate is less than what I pay because they’re rare and are hardly involved in accidents.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I told people here they would start doing this as a result of the hurricanes in Texas and Florida and I was told I was wrong.
Roll Eyes

EVERYONE is going to pay for all those trashed cars.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
EVERYONE is going to pay for all those trashed cars.

And trashed homes. Frown

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Very timely. We dumped GEICO after 10+ years because they kept increasing rates despite ZERO claims.

Went with State Farm. First renewal saw a premium increase. I complained to our (worthless) agent and got some vague response. Second renewal, another increase. Just got our third renewal earlier this week and yet another increase despite zero claims.

I am getting quotes from Amica, Nationwide and Ameriprise (via Costco) as we speak.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
You would think that insurance companies will give a "loyal client" a break and not raise your rates, instead of losing a client?

If I pull out my car insurance from StateFarm today, that will be $428 a month of premium they will not be getting. Plus, if I pull out my home insurance, life insurance and college fund, they will be losing more money. wouldn't it be a smarter move for them NOT to increase the rate?

Or I guess it doesn't really matter to them. Confused

When I called AAA to inquire, the agent knew exactly why I was trying to get a quote. They knew that StateFarm had increased their rates recently across the board, as they have been getting a lot of request for quotes these past few days.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
USAA has increased mine as well and they keep saying its NC increasing the amount.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have to make a profit. Giving loyal customers "breaks" cuts into that. Shop around, every year.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with my Satefarm agent and told her I "might be" cancelling my policies this Monday. She told me they don't like to see clients go. She said that her manager already called their district manager and informed them about potentially losing more clients. Upper management couldn't do anything.

Oh well. I have appointment tomorrow morning with AAA agent. If th rates will be the SAME as my current company, then I will stay with Statefarm. If the rates will be significantly less, then good bye Statefarm.

posted Hide Post
I have USAA, and when I added my 16yr old daughter our car insurance went to 4k/yr for to cover a total of 4 cars and 3 drivers. The newest is a 2014 Toyota, the other 3 are 2004, 2005, and 2006. I thought 4k/yr was high....until I called AAA. They quoted 8k/yr!!! So good luck w/AAA

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I dumped State Farm in August for the same reason.

They raised my rates every six-month premium period with out any driving changes (tickets or claims) for the last three renewals. When I challenged them on it they said, "We've had to cover a lot of claims in Nevada." So I said, "Lemme see if I got this right. You mean to tell me when other folks wreck their cars, my rate goes up, and if I wreck my car my rate goes up?" She said matter-of-factly, "Yup" and I said, "Not this time."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had State Farm for about 20+ years, and cancelled it 4 years ago and went with USAA.

When I moved from Cols OH to Richmond, VA my premium was more expensive each month which was a pisser but every year or every other year I got the same message about rates steadily increasing.

I filed one claim in about 6 years and the accident was not my fault and the rates still went up.

I am not thrilled with USAA because my rates are going up with them.

I have not switched my registration to NC yet, so I am anxious how much my rate will go up.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
State Farm wanted to nearly triple my motorcycle premium when I bought my new BMW. My SF agent couldn't have cared less.
Adios, State Farm.
Dairyland full coverage premium cost = $37 a month.
Went with Farm Bureau for everything else. Just got a notice it will increase $3 a month for the new policy term. I consider that reasonable given all the hurricane losses.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until you pass 75 (age) you will then start to get annual increases. of course your miles travelled will be decreasing at the same time. I have three vehicles and two drivers, we seldom hit 12000 for all three combined.

And when you pass 80 the increases will start to be semi-annual.

I understand that after 85 the increases will be monthly.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
We have Allstate, and so far pretty reasonable. We used to have American National, and had both vehicles and home with them, until they tripled our home insurance rate for no reason, as we never had a claim at all. Was told came from corporate, as they had to pay for all the damaged homes from tornados, fires, etc. so we dumped them and got Farmers Mutual for the house. Kept the car ins until our agent retired and suddenly the rates doubled for the vehicles. Guess what? Farmers couldn’t match Allstate, so we went with Allstate on vehicles only. Been about 4-5 years at least now for the Allstate and still good.

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We shop around from time to time. We got a lower quote from Geicco, gave em our business, and the next year, they raised their rates (no claims). Bye, bye gecko. Uggh, what a scam.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
State Farm only has 6-month auto policies, so rates can change every 6 months.

Besides driver-specific factors, there is a factor that reflects the amount of claims in your area or state.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We went through this 1.5 years ago.

State Farm has our Auto, Home, Umbrella and jewelry rider.

I have been with them since I was 16 years old.

We shopped three other carriers. As it turns out State Farm was within dollars of one other carrier and less expensive (marginally) than the other two.

We have been happy with State Farm, FWIW.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldRoger:
Wait until you pass 75 (age) you will then start to get annual increases. of course your miles travelled will be decreasing at the same time. I have three vehicles and two drivers, we seldom hit 12000 for all three combined.

And when you pass 80 the increases will start to be semi-annual.

I understand that after 85 the increases will be monthly.

Hush up...you will cause us ole folks to have a heart attack. Wink

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post