SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    How does fedx smart post benefit any one involved?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How does fedx smart post benefit any one involved? Login/Join 
Picture of Jimg1960
posted
You can look at the tracking info so I will skip the play by play. How does it benefit the retailer? The cost is somewhat lower then usps, maybe. Your goods arrive to your customer timely, not by a long shot. Your customer is happy with the results, hell no. Your customer will buy from you again? when your the only store that has what they need, maybe. or more likely when hell freezes over.
How does it benefit fedx? They send it by the least used routes, thus allowing more valuable packages to travel sooner. They drive it instead of fly it, maybe. They make their customers happy? I don’t think so. They don’t have to listen to any shit because they dump it in the post offices lap to deliver..big win for fedx.
How does the USPS benefit? I would say labor costs but I don’t believe that’s true. They need every dime they can get to just keep running. Off topic but my mailman has been coming here for about 4 years now and he does not have any uniforms.
How does it benefit the customer? The contention is paying less or no shipping for your products. I’m quit sure that the money men of these companies have built in shipping costs to the retail by now. Free shipping is no more then bait and click. So in the end I see no benefit to the customer what so ever...I’m sure I missed a bunch of stuff,feel free to add or disagree.

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how it benefits anyone, aside from being slightly cheaper. It's the spawn of the devil and the delivery times are absolutely horrible.

I did it once when it first came out. Fedex got it to my local post office in 3 days. It sat at the local post office for 12 days (so long that I contacted the retailer, they sent another order 3 day fedex and that got to my house several days before the original one did). Nobody at the local post office could even answer if it was there and therefore I couldn't just drive to the PO and pick it up. It sucks.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
If you notice on the tracking it skipped Tennessee on the way south...another fun part it went north to Wisconsin then back down to Chicago
Eek

Posts: 301 | Location: Tennessee  | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the costs, since I rarely ship FedUp,

they postively, absolutely, suk in this area,

I do however receive stuff shipped by them, including some 'smartpost' stuff the wife orders,

Fedex and UPS have partnerships with USPS,

I think Fedex helps USPS ship/transport Priority and Express mail,

UPS partners in a way similar to 'Smartpost' for some retailers/distributors,

must be some cost benefits to all the partnerships for each party or they would not do it,

I ship mostly (99.5%)USPS thru XPS Shipper, which is a company for Business Accounts that was recommended, and set up by (for me) USPS,

no drama, no worries, and a faster claim time for damaged goods (shipping related) than standard USPS at the post office

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimg1960
posted Hide Post
USPS just delivered it. I didn’t mention my mailman is my son in laws first cousin...so I don’t gripe at him...

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I think in the end, all of these cheap 'smart ship' options are simply ways to optimize shipping as a whole by using excess space on trucks and planes.

So your stuff may get right on a truck and speed away, or it may sit since other people paid for service and filled up the truck / plane and you stuff has to wait until there is excess space.

Good, fast, cheap. Pick 2.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I think of it as an anticipation-builder.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A SmartPost package showed upon my porch on Saturday. The box looked like it was tossed out of a low flying aircraft. I was expecting a package so I brought it in and opened it. A bunch of weird crap was inside that I did not want or order. Check the label and surprise! It was for an address a half mile away. I returned the weird crap to its rightful owner with explanation about why I opened his package.
There was nothing smart about this post. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Cheaper. I suspect it benefits lots of shippers who are too small to get really good deals from UPS. Which in turn saves the buyer a few bucks.

And while it isn't two days, it is still a five to seven day delivery service, which not so long ago would have been great.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cost savings for FedEx (UPS also does this) a little extra revenue for the USPS. Shippers get a little discount.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BadDogPSD:
Cost savings for FedEx (UPS also does this) a little extra revenue for the USPS. Shippers get a little discount.

Cost savings for the shipper/customer

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Mail carriers haven't worn uniforms for years.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

The USPS mail carriers here in South Florida all wear uniforms. Otherwise, how would they not get shot by some paranoid home owner when the mail carrier walks through their gated front yard?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

The USPS mail carriers here in South Florida all wear uniforms. Otherwise, how would they not get shot by some paranoid home owner when the mail carrier walks through their gated front yard?

I haven't seen a uniform in my area in 25 years or so.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It benefits FedEx, which will not have to make a special stop at your place. USPS stops there every day anyhow.

But yes, I too was annoyed the first time Midway did this, but I got over it after remember I checked cheapest delivery.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I never ship that way but receive some from eBayers.
My least favorite method. Must be a lot cheaper but seems to incorporate the worst of both worlds. Slow, poor tracking, highly irregular routing and could be delivered by anyone although it's usually USPS.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Must vary by Post Office. Urban vs rural.
Here at the largest PO in the county they only wear uniforms and drive Official USPS vehicles. All the others at the smaller PO drive personal vehicles and wear whatever they like.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
Still see a uniformed postal carrier in the streets of a nearby small town (called a village here.)

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Here's tracking for a package I ordered from RTIC in Texas. Note that the Fedex location listed as "Independence, KY" is roughly 5 miles straight line and 6.6 miles via road from my house and is 9.2 miles via road from the Erlanger post office. Someone thought it was a good idea to send it more than 100 miles away to Indy before returning it to Erlanger.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Fed EX ,USPS ,UPS all lack Customer Service they have us buy the Short Hairs , Unless somebody else Steps up and Starts A Parcel Delivery service we are at their Mercy.
I had A Package Delivering today According to FED EX Tracking , So I made Arrangements for it to be signed for but now it is Tomorrow WTF All they can say is I can pick it up at the Fed Ex location WTF

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post