SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I jus want to play the game!!! XBOX always updating and installing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I jus want to play the game!!! XBOX always updating and installing Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
No i don’t want to download 8 gigs of updates to this game. I just want to play it.
Stick the disk in and play how is this so hard?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought an Xbox One S and seven games to get me through my year of geobachelorhood that starts for me next month. I had to download over 400GB of updates for these seven games (most of which are a few years old). Ridiculous, I never had to do anything like that with my PS4.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I live in the sticks.
I have a 3mb connection.
It was a solid week before I could play with the Xbox one.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My COD games always update on the PS4. They do it in game, which is especially annoying, instead of updating from standby mode.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It seems like it's updating something every few days. I wish it would background download everything.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the solution to this... sold my Xbox, bought guns, ammo, safe, targets, etc.

And got my life back. Screw addictive gaming. It was fun growing up but I can’t put it on a resume and no one cares about achievements from call of duty these days...

Sorry I should empathize more, but I really do like being free of video game addiction.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I barely play an hour a week in 10-15 minute sessions. All the updating screws that up.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I barely play an hour a week in 10-15 minute sessions. All the updating screws that up.

I did not get mine for games. I got it for the media capability. I wanted a solid 4K streaming device with 4K BluRay and DVR capabilities.

Gaming is an afterthought. I got it in April and likely have less than 2 hours of gameplay with at least triple that of downloading and updating time.

I get maybe 30 minutes a couple nights a week while the wife is finishing the bed time routine with the kiddos.
Last night 20 of that was updating the new game I got.
Project Cars something I can go downstairs and run a race or two and be done.

————————————————

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes the updates are annoying. You can set your console to auto download updates. I don't like doing that but I just log on every few days or once a week and see what needs to be updated in the "My game and apps" section. Then it can update while I watch TV or eat dinner, or whatever.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Yes the updates are annoying. You can set your console to auto download updates. I don't like doing that but I just log on every few days or once a week and see what needs to be updated in the "My game and apps" section. Then it can update while I watch TV or eat dinner, or whatever.

Have that set. I am talking about the game updates mainly.
Pop the disk in and have to download something forever to be able to play.

————————————————

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the last PC I had. And the reason I no longer have a PC.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Sounds like the last PC I had. And the reason I no longer have a PC.

Then you were doing it wrong. Game updates only occur on Tuesdays for almost every developer and only two games that I know of update each week: World of Warcraft and League of Legends.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Never used it for gaming. Just for the innerwebs. It had to be updated all the frickin time just to be used.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Yep. Ridiculous.

Never had to update anything before playing The Legend of Zelda. It took about 10 seconds to blow in the cartridge, insert it in the NES, jam another cartridge on top of it, and fire up the console. Then Link was off to Death Mountain.

Ahh, the good old days...

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Steam updates are just as bad.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Yep. Ridiculous.

Never had to update anything before playing The Legend of Zelda. It took about 10 seconds to blow in the cartridge, insert it in the NES, jam another cartridge on top of it, and fire up the console. Then Link was off to Death Mountain.

Ahh, the good old days...

Nostalgia plus gameboy flashbacks!

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I left the Xbox off for a couple weeks....Frown

Now I can’t do anything until it downloads eleventy billion GB of updates. Most of which will probably be “content” that I have zero interest in....
Yes. I just wanted to play a game while the beans cook in the pressure cooker.....

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Get used to it. PS4 is the same way. The Game companies want you to go to streaming both their games and what ever else they have so you pay and pay. They give you the latest game streamed a few dollars cheaper then the hard copy, they make tons more money. Welcome the modern world. I'm glad I'm not a gamer. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Know what you mean, but not with Xbox. Between Apple OS updates and app/program updates, it seems I can never open my laptop without a pop-up saying I need to update something.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6371 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I solved this issue, I thought.
I left the Xbox on for the past few weeks, solid. Update away, you little bastard.
So I swap the tv over to that input this morning and what greets me?
A message ASKING me if I want to START THE UPDATE!
Probably been on screen for weeks. Now I gotta sit through 411MB Worth of watching that little bar march slowly across the screen.