SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Upside down outlets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upside down outlets Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
I could buy the switched outlet reason as items needing a ground are not likely to be wall switched, but the wire-falling-shorting-out scenario sounds more like Old Electrician Tales than anything else. Would drive me nuts (then again it would be a short drive)

I've been doing this a very long time. Never once heard of someone dropping knife, paperclip, or any other object inbetween a receptacle and plug, not once. In fact I'd argue it's safer right-side up. That way it trips the breaker and you are safe when you go to retrieve the metal object. Either way, I've never heard any logical argument for doing it this way.

As for switched outlets. I just take a sharpie and put a small dot on the switched one. You can't see it from more than a few feet away.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I had one where a little girl had a necklace hanging from a picture frame. Necklace fell straight down on a lamp plug that wasn't in all the way. Boom. So I know it can happen but it wouldn't make me change the way I've been doing it for 40 years.

Not quite the same thing but I had a lady call me one time. Her kid had stuck one key from a ring into each side of a receptacle. When she told me she was totally freaking out. I went over tripped the GFCI's, it was a kitchen peninsula outlet, and pulled the keys out. Breaker was still on. How it didn't arc like crazy I'll never know.

The way he stuck those keys in there he may have even defeated a tamper resistant type.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I don't have time for this.
I'm busy flipping the toilet paper rolls right way around.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Doesn't the breaker trip the instant the short happens? Seems like upside down outlets are a solution in search of a problem.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Also, every outlet plate screw is perfectly vertically aligned.

Yeah, another by-product....
Nope, this is not an OCD thing. Vertically aligned plate screws are the mark of a professional with pride in their work. Horizontal alignment traps dust, etc.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Also, every outlet plate screw is perfectly vertically aligned.

Yeah, another by-product....
Nope, this is not an OCD thing. Vertically aligned plate screws are the mark of a professional with pride in their work. Horizontal alignment traps dust, etc.

For me it's OCD/professionalism it actually bothers me when I go places and see screws aren't indexed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
they were all the nearly-impossible-to-plug-into childproof type outlets too.

Don't get me started on those abominations. I HATE those friggin' things.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
we had to rotate a half dozen light switches when we moved in because they weren't down when off......

i guess she's not up for a three-way... switch.

Oh yes! But if they are out of sync we will damn well walk down a dark stairway before we mess up the theme!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indexed screws ?? There's medication for that kind of OCD .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

No OCD here, that's for sure. But I was taught by my Dad when I was a baby electrician that cover plates are to be plumb and plate screws are to be oriented with the slots vertical. Done it that way ever since.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

I think, if I ever got into "indexing the screws", they would all be at a 45 degree angle. Just as OCD, but different.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
I like all mine horizontal...

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
The last two replies make my head hurt.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
The last two replies make my head hurt.

Just ribbing you, of course. But why not 45 degrees? You have options. For a two (or more) screw plate, you could make all of them point northeast, or northwest, or do the tops one way and the bottoms another, making an 'X'. Lots of possibilities there. Still vertical enough to keep from collecting dust, too. Smile

To be quite honest, I had never heard of indexing plate screws before SIGforum. It would be easy to do, and I can see the pride it would engender in someone in the trade. I have never seen this practice in any of the houses I've lived in, though. The only place I have seen it done is on the receiver screws of fine firearms.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another silly rule in DC is that you must install switch below dishwasher to act as a disconnect, there is a number of reasons I think that rule is dumb.

What in the actual hell!!

Care to share with the class what the logic is here?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Another silly rule in DC is that you must install switch below dishwasher to act as a disconnect, there is a number of reasons I think that rule is dumb.

What in the actual hell!!

Care to share with the class what the logic is here?

Servicable equipment needs to have a disconnecting means at the equipment, think furnace or A/C. Ovens, dryers, washers all have plugs, so you unplug it and you know it's not powered. A dishwasher is almost always hardwired. Most jurisdictions allow you to install at breaker lock at the panel for things like dishwashers or wall ovens. The breaker lock allows you to lock-out power by putting a small padlock on it, ensuring no one can turn on the power while your appliance guy is fixing the dishwasher. DC instead wants a disconnect at the equipment that way the appliance tech is the only one with access to turn it on/off. This actually violates the code in my mind because the switch/disconnect box is not secured which is in fact a code violation. Also what if he causes a leak during the repairs and you have water getting into the switch box?

Dumb.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
So by their logic, there is a "lockable" disconnect for the stove too, yes?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And garbage disposals require an outlet now too. Just where I want an outlet...right under the sink. Why do you think I replaced the disposal: it rusted through and leaked all over.

When I sold my house last year I got dinged on that one.....ha, inspector forgot to check the microwave, hard wired that too. It all has a switch....labeled on the circuit breaker panel.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by JimTheo:
I could buy the switched outlet reason as items needing a ground are not likely to be wall switched, but the wire-falling-shorting-out scenario sounds more like Old Electrician Tales than anything else. Would drive me nuts (then again it would be a short drive)

I've been doing this a very long time. Never once heard of someone dropping knife, paperclip, or any other object inbetween a receptacle and plug, not once. In fact I'd argue it's safer right-side up. That way it trips the breaker and you are safe when you go to retrieve the metal object. Either way, I've never heard any logical argument for doing it this way.

As for switched outlets. I just take a sharpie and put a small dot on the switched one. You can't see it from more than a few feet away.

I've heard that since you're usually leaning down to plug something in, that having the ground on top means that it's the first circuit that is connected - same reason the ground prong in longer than the other 2. Made sense, but could be bullshit.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post